Thread: Court refuses to hear Maryland gun case

A Self Important Senior Contributor troung's Avatar

Court refuses to hear Maryland gun case

APAP Mon, Oct 3, 2011
    Politics slideshows

Court refuses to hear Maryland gun case - Yahoo! News
    See latest photos

WASHINGTON (AP) The Supreme Court won't hear a Maryland man's argument that the Second Amendment allows him to carry a gun outside of his home for self-defense.

The high court on Monday refused to hear an appeal from Charles F. Williams Jr., who was arrested in 2007 for having his legally-purchased handgun outside his home without a state permit.

The high court has ruled there is a right to keep a gun in the home for protection. But gun advocates say people also have the constitutional right to carry their guns outside the house for self-protection.

Maryland courts say if the Supreme Court agrees with that theory "it will need to say so more plainly." The high court refused the opportunity on Monday.

The case is Williams v. Maryland, 10-1207.
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Response.

Quote Originally Posted by troung View Post

APAP Mon, Oct 3, 2011
    Politics slideshows

Court refuses to hear Maryland gun case - Yahoo! News
    See latest photos

WASHINGTON (AP) The Supreme Court won't hear a Maryland man's argument that the Second Amendment allows him to carry a gun outside of his home for self-defense.
    Hi all, my first board posting as I see no intro section.

I am from Maryland, and surely anyone can see from any State as to how it is that we do not let citizens carry sidearms through public areas.

The Supreme Court of USA surely did give a verdict and decision by refusing to hear the case.

And as a precedent we do know that in the old west the local towns outlawed carrying weapons as like told in Tombstone AZ where the Marshal Earp brothers enforced a no-carry gun control law into the "O.K." corral.

The 2nd Amendment was intended for citizens to be armed against the US gov in case our gov became abusive or tyrannical, and the 2A was not for self protection against common criminals. FYI.

Welcome JP Cusick.

The intro can be found here:
    http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/wab...on-thread.html
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

There is indeed a place for introductions. Home page and under "WAB information center"

BTW The Supreme court doesn't have the time to take on every case thrown at its feet so I wouldn't read to much into that and this in no way is a verdict.

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post

There is indeed a place for introductions. Home page and under "WAB information center"

BTW The Supreme court doesn't have the time to take on every case thrown at its feet so I wouldn't read to much into that and this in no way is a verdict.
    I see the intro board now, and I have posted thereon = HERE.

I can not dispute that the Supreme Court did not give a true verdict or a decision in that particular case, but surely the SCOTUS did send a direct message by refusing to hear the case, as in the person can NOT carry his gun into public without having a specific State issued permit.

Banned Senior Contributor dalem's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Cusick View Post
    I see the intro board now, and I have posted thereon = HERE.

I can not dispute that the Supreme Court did not give a true verdict or a decision in that particular case, but surely the SCOTUS did send a direct message by refusing to hear the case, as in the person can NOT carry his gun into public without having a specific State issued permit.
    Lots of reasons to refuse a case.

-dale

Official Thread Jacker Senior Contributor gunnut's Avatar
    DPRK, Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Cusick View Post
    Hi all, my first board posting as I see no intro section.

I am from Maryland, and surely anyone can see from any State as to how it is that we do not let citizens carry sidearms through public areas.

The Supreme Court of USA surely did give a verdict and decision by refusing to hear the case.

And as a precedent we do know that in the old west the local towns outlawed carrying weapons as like told in Tombstone AZ where the Marshal Earp brothers enforced a no-carry gun control law into the "O.K." corral.

The 2nd Amendment was intended for citizens to be armed against the US gov in case our gov became abusive or tyrannical, and the 2A was not for self protection against common criminals. FYI.
    What if common criminals got into the government?

By your interpretation of the 2A, you could argue that hunting is not reason to keep guns, nor for collecting purposes.

The 2A only stated that "the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." It didn't say what purpose it was for.
    Last edited by gunnut; 05 Dec 11, at 20:32.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Does 2A cover nuclear arms?
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

The Supreme Court has acted on many gun related issues in the past, they simply cannot take every one that comes by (1 in 10 I believe for a total of about 10 cases a year). If I were to guess, this is a state issue and no a 2nd ammendment issue
    The greatest weapon is the truth

Official Thread Jacker Senior Contributor gunnut's Avatar
    DPRK, Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktor View Post
    Does 2A cover nuclear arms?
    My personal interpretation is that a nuclear weapon is a bomb or "destructive device," hence not a "gun."

To me, the 2A covers all guns that can be personally carried and wielded effectively.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Mostly Harmless
    What about "gun-type" nukes?
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Field mechanik Senior Contributor omon's Avatar
    this is dumb.
    he had no ccw, and his state doesn't allow open carry, he was arrested for weapon violation, so what exactly did he expect supreme court do? give him lifetime carry permit for all 50 states????
    he got what he deserved. no reason to have SC hear the case.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by omon View Post
    this is dumb.
    he had no ccw, and his state doesn't allow open carry, he was arrested for weapon violation, so what exactly did he expect supreme court do? give him lifetime carry permit for all 50 states????
    Where does it say that he was carrying? He could have had in in the glove box while taking it to the range for all the story tells.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnut View Post

What if common criminals got into the government?

By your interpretation of the 2A, you could argue that hunting is not reason to keep guns, nor for collecting purposes.

The 2A only stated that "the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." It didn't say what purpose it was for.
    It does not matter if common criminals or respected gentlemen get into the government as the 2A applies to the civilian population.

The 2A does not give the right to hunt or to defend against criminals, but the 2A does not deny those uses either.

The purpose of the 2A is known except the powers of Politics does not like to acknowledge that the American founders were afraid of government and that the 2A was included so the citizens could defend them selves against the abuses of gov, just as the founding Americans fought against their own gov of Great Britain.

I have no idea of what you mean by "collecting purposes".

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by omon View Post
    this is dumb.
    I disagree.

I look at it this way the law for open carry is beneath the 2nd amendment in the constitution (of Maryland) I am assuming the 2nd amendment in Maryland exists in the state as well as national constitution.

Abridging a constitutional amendment can, should, and may only be done BY ANOTHER AMENDMENT NOT A LAW. It does not logically follow that an elected 51% majority would be enough to a overturn a 2/3rds majority required to pass most amendments. Ergo the law should be thrown out.
    Originally from Sochi, Russia.

Thread Information