Censoring swear-words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Censoring swear-words

Currently the board-software automatically censors a list of insults and swear words. Some which in my opinion don't really need to be there like h00ters for example. As discussed here:

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/wor...e-secrets.html

some are even in favour of getting rid of the whole list since it is rather easy to bypass it and we are all adults here. Well most of us...most of the time. While I tend to agree with that standpoint there are apparently cultures where a lot of people find such words very offensive and a danger to the public.

So what is the view of the WAB community? Remove some words. All words? Or even increase the list? I would like to gather some feedback of what you all think about this...and then dismiss it and simply do what I want.

H00ters isn't a swear word for one.

Swear words usually tend to have an abrupt ending phonetically speaking. I believe this is how you can tell when they swear at you in foreign languages too.

I think this is take it on a word by word basis. Nouns may be safer than verbs which are in turn safer than adjectives.

Comment

I don't see h00ters as a swear word - perhaps impolite - like fart or butt ...
      For the most part I don't think the list needs to change much, IMHO it is ok the way it is, swearing rarely improves a discussion and it can be "hidden" with clever lettering if it is really wanted in a post and adds needed emotion or emphasis. I don't think more of it would be a good thing, but it seems silly to be oversensitive to it if it happens occasionally.
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

I am actually for a list. Even though some words get mixed up that aren't supposed to be there like h00ters. If that's the case, all you have to do is re-edit your post, and change it to an appropriate word. IMHO, that would be better then actually reading other obscene words. Although up until now, I do not think much of WAB use said words. I for one though, would think if said words did became excessive, it would ruin the quality of discussion. After all what thought goes into F this. That is "S"..etc etc. It's not that it's offensive, which others may be, it's just that it isn't provoking thought, effort, and degrades it.

I am for the list as it stands. It would be good if it could be modified, and some words taken out. If not, then I am still for the filter.
        sigpic

Comment

Right about now, I'd love to get rid of the word "minion"......

Comment

We're adults here who cares if someone swears. As long as it's not used to insult members which we know is against the rules anyway.

The swear filter is a bit ****ed anyway.
            Originally posted by GVChamp
            College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Scrap the filters but make it clear that adult behaviour is expected (we already sorta do that anyway). If people are getting to the point of being offensive warn them. Censoring software, especially US-based versions, usually veer heavily toward silly. They add little to adult discussion boards.
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

maybe I should clarify that the way the censor works we can decide exactly which words are on the list and which not. Also if certain words are removed from the list does not mean that is acceptable to use them to insult others.

Comment

FREE the vulgarity, man!
                  "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                  "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                    maybe I should clarify that the way the censor works we can decide exactly which words are on the list and which not. Also if certain words are removed from the list does not mean that is acceptable to use them to insult others.
                    Cool. I can think of maybe one or two words to put on the list. I suspect most of us would agree on what those are.
                    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Stop this. Lenny Bruce and George Carlin object. It's apparent to most when somebody is acting well below their age and intentionally being crass and crude. There are times, however, when these words are a legitimate expression of one's vehement anger and disgust (among other emotions) that are too-often otherwise difficult to convey through the printed word.
                      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

I think we should remove the whole list and add auto-correct for the same words AND for the abbrevs :Dancing-Banana:
                        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, how many words are filtered in this software the forum currently use?

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                            Also if certain words are removed from the list does not mean that is acceptable to use them to insult others.
                            Thou beslubbering folly-fallen dewberry, Degenerate and base art thou,truly thou art a pipe for Fortune's finger to sound what stop she please.

Seems to be working for me....
                            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                              Just out of curiosity, how many words are filtered in this software the forum currently use?
                              If your ****** was any further toward the ground your ***** would *** a new ****** ***** you *** ****** **** ****

Hmmm, seems to be quite a few
                              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                              X