No announcement yet.

Remote Control War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The US routinely jams cell phone activated IEDs that use checksums.

If you can do it to them, they can do it to you.

I will leave it to any readers to make up their mind.

Comment

Originally posted by FJV View Post
      The US routinely jams cell phone activated IEDs that use checksums.

If you can do it to them, they can do it to you.

I will leave it to any readers to make up their mind.
      Does the cell phone actively hop at 500 hertz over a huge frequency band in lock-step with a partnered device?

Look, no data or comm system is 100% invulnerable, but modern digital electronics with frequency synthesis, and extremely accurate clocks, have tipped it a bit towards the "unjammable" side. Like armor vs. armor piercing, and stealth vs. AESA radar, the battle swings back and forth as technologies evolve.

Comment

Don't forget about the fact that the General Atomics MQ-1 Predator and MQ-9 reaper are widely used by the USAF for Reconnaissance and small scale air support. They both outfitted with AIM-92 Stingers, and AGM114 Hellfire missiles. While the Predator has been outifitted with Griffin air-to-surface missiles and the Reaper with the GBU-12 Paveway II laser guided bombs. We are really not that far from R/C warfare.
        Can you please pass da pork and flate?

Comment

I think you are overestimating the effectiveness of cell phone jammers. Harper's just ran an article on those gadgets and the writer notes that when he was embedded in Afghanistan the best combat engineer he met used a stick tied to a cord for bomb detection. Nothing high tech. Just hand work and eye balls. Digital age people seem to overestimate the capacity of software quite a lot and honestly I think that reflects how overdependent on technology.
          All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
          -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
            And i can see the developers of such a system being executed for war crimes, considering that's a direct violation of all Hague and Geneva Conventions ever written.
            Forgive my ignorance, but what specificly in the Hague and Geneva Conventions states that autonomous killing machines are illegal?
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
              The leap to true kill autonomy, though, is going to be a big one and not lightly taken.

Surveillance is palatable by just about everyone, but a robot deciding, on its own, to use lethal force... close, but we're not quite there yet.
              Yeah, we have to wait for Skynet to go online.

Anyone remember that episode of Star Trek called "A Taste of Armageddon?"

The 2 warring planets developed a sophisticated and integrated computer network to fight their wars for them. Casualties are simulated and recorded. People are then ordered to disintegration chambers to be "neutralized."

Wars became clean, comfortable, and a fact of life.
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I said this same thing (also bringing up Star Trek) about four years ago when a similar thread popped up.

War SHOULD be terrible and costly. It's suppossed to be avoided for this very reason.

Comment

~ Oversight is a core component of armed drone missions that are flown by the USAF. A drone flight crew is comprised of a minimum of three crew members. The Mission Pilot occupies the left seat. The Mission Weapons System Officer occupies the right seat. Slightly behind and between them sits the Mission Commander (who must outrank the Pilot and WSO). Before them are bifurcated banks of monitors, two keyboards, and two joysticks. All flight data is recorded, and the mission is audio/video taped. Any requests by the WSO to arm/lock-on/fire weapons must be verbally approved by the Mission Commander. Typically, it is the F2 key of the WSO keyboard that fires the missiles. After each mission an After Action Report (AAR) must be composed and signed by each crew member. The AAR and mission data is then reviewed by a team of analysts and peers. Falsify/fudge an AAR - you're done.

~ By far, the majority of military drone flights are reconnaissance missions. Besides video cameras (with extremely high resolution capability), sophisticated UAVs also collect data throughout the EM spectrum. Areas to be investigated are mapped according to a "keypad system" (square areas assigned letters/numbers like a on phone keypad). The resolution of a master keypad (of any size) can be reduced again and again via subset-keypads. Once you have established a master/subset keypad grid of an area, a drone can be ordered to an exact location (using the appropriate keypad letters/numbers) via keyboard. If enough data is collected, you can do some fairly amazing things. Let's use a structure like a warehouse as an example. Computer programs can construct a detailed 3D image of this structure. Using the joystick and a plasma monitor, a WSO can then manipulate this image (turn it about in different ways) to decide how best to target the structure (i.e. roof skylight, east side window, south side loading door, etc) depending on the mission and local conditions. Along with computerized 3D images, truly three-dimensional holograms can also be constructed.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X