Rugby world cup 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
    The Argies have a strong team, they're going to join the Tri (Quad) nations next year
    Yep. Their main advantage at the moment though is their team members are all professionals and very experienced.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Games to watch for, in my opinion: All Blacks Vs France, Argentina Vs England, South Africa Vs Wales. Some other teams are strong contenders, like Wales and Ireland, and there could be some surprise teams. Dunno too much about the US, never really seen them play
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Argentina Vs England, South Africa Vs Wales.
        This is going to be a great weekend isn't it? I feel like both Argentina and Wales, while underdogs, have got legitimate chances of winning. Got Scotland and Romania on right now. Not nearly as alluring as what is on for later today, but I don't get a lot of Rugby on TV and am happy whenever any matches are showing. ...besides, Scotland just scored the first try and it was a good one.

Comment

Some really good rugby being played - Good performance by England, when it was 9-3 I felt a try could have really scuppered the nerves but they came back well, will probably be happy to be over what is realistically the toughest test in their group. That said I suppose the snobbery has no place, Scotland and France both faced serious, tough challenges - Scotland in particular looked in big trouble when Romania took the lead, last ten minutes were good though. France have the swagger but it's interesting to see they've also kept the tendency to slow the foot on the pedal when they rack up an early lead.

South Africa/Wales could be a cracker but I've a feeling SA will win. A bit too much classiness for Wales even now, though OTOH going with experience can sometimes be a bad thing against a team that's young and hungry like Wales unquestionably are.
          Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
          - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Damn, Fiji played a brilliant game. That Goneva has the potential to be very dangerous. 4 tries in one game, first hat trick of the world cup and Fiji positively dominated Namibia. Question is, can Fiji keep it up against South Africa and Wales and make it past the group stage?
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
              Another team to watch is the Japanese. They won the pacific competition this year, beating Fiji Samoa Tonga etc
              When you compare Fiji and Japan, I think that so far Fiji have definitely given a better showing of themselves. Every single one of Japan's 21 points so far have been scored by one person, James Alridge. That doesn't build much confidence in a team if you've got one great player and everyone else supports him

Comment

When you compare Fiji and Japan, I think that so far Fiji have definitely given a better showing of themselves. Every single one of Japan's 21 points so far have been scored by one person, James Alridge. That doesn't build much confidence in a team if you've got one great player and everyone else supports him
                Why not. It got NZ through to the finals in '95 ;)
                In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

True, but rugby has definitely evolved in the past decade and a half. Be interesting to see if they can pull it off again. Whatever way you look at it, this World Cup is going to be awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by crooks View Post
                    Some really good rugby being played - Good performance by England, when it was 9-3 I felt a try could have really scuppered the nerves but they came back well, will probably be happy to be over what is realistically the toughest test in their group. That said I suppose the snobbery has no place, Scotland and France both faced serious, tough challenges - Scotland in particular looked in big trouble when Romania took the lead, last ten minutes were good though. France have the swagger but it's interesting to see they've also kept the tendency to slow the foot on the pedal when they rack up an early lead.

South Africa/Wales could be a cracker but I've a feeling SA will win. A bit too much classiness for Wales even now, though OTOH going with experience can sometimes be a bad thing against a team that's young and hungry like Wales unquestionably are.
                    I thought England played OK but haven't yet jelled as a team. It looked like Martin Johnson had words as they played better in the second half. Once they adjust Wilkinson's right foot, (was it 5 he missed) we should progress a little further.

Comment

The problem of having one great player is that they tend to attract more attention from the opposition and fail to finish the game..if you know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                        Once they adjust Wilkinson's right foot, (was it 5 he missed) we should progress a little further.
                        Wasn't that shocking? I don't think I have ever seen him in such poor form. He needs to find his stride if England is going to have any chance of moving after the pools.

Comment

Ireland won, of course they did. But that is the best effort I have ever seen from the Eagles.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                            I thought England played OK but haven't yet jelled as a team. It looked like Martin Johnson had words as they played better in the second half. Once they adjust Wilkinson's right foot, (was it 5 he missed) we should progress a little further.
                            What I took from it was they didn't buckle - Argentina were playing quite well (though somewhat wasteful) and had the lead. England kept plugging away and got the win with some spiffy enough play. No better man to scare the bejayzus out of you than Martin Johnson, he's like a reformed Vinny Jones.
                            Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
                            - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

The US played very well and while the try came against the run of play anyone with the instinct for that snatch (and the legs!) thoroughly deserves it. Poor enough performance from Ireland, Tommy Bowe showed his superstar-ness but Sexton's 0/4 kicks is worrying and O'Gara's first conversion attempt was awful. They should've got the bonus point and the errors hint to a similar style game to '07 (with a group stage exit). They've a bit of time to improve but if they play like that against Australia it isn't going to be close.

On close games though, commiserations to Wales. Serious heart and looked the better team for large stretches of the game.
                              - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Originally posted by crooks View Post
                                What I took from it was they didn't buckle - Argentina were playing quite well (though somewhat wasteful) and had the lead. England kept plugging away and got the win with some spiffy enough play. No better man to scare the bejayzus out of you than Martin Johnson, he's like a reformed Vinny Jones.
                                Martin has a reputation of putting his points across with the proviso that everyone will listen...or else. I thought Wales played very well and gave South Africa a scare. It looks like everyone is having problems with the new balls as they did in football. Apparently footballs are too round and move unpredictably in the air and so with the new rugger balls, the shape is too perfect. Excuses or bad workman blaming his tools?

Comment

Working...
                                X