Worst Songs of the '90s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Songs of the '90s

Music Blogs > The Rolling Stone Blog > 'Barbie Girl' Tops Rolling Stone's Worst Songs of the '90s

'Barbie Girl' Tops Rolling Stone's Worst Songs of the '90s
    Posted Tue Sep 6, 2011 3:57pm PDT by Andy Greene in The Rolling Stone Blog

When people look back on a decade's music they tend to focus on the good stuff - but the people who lived through the time period know better. While the 1990s certainly had amazing music, not everything on the radio was Nirvana or Radiohead. Michael Bolton, Kenny G. and Vanilla Ice sold enough records to fill 500 landfills - which is where most of those records now reside.

Last week, Rolling Stone asked readers to vote for the worst song of the 1990s. And topping the list is Aqua's "Barbie Girl."

"Barbie Girl" - written by the Danish dance-pop group Aqua - is an incredibly polarizing song. Many people were offended by the portrayal of a woman as a man's plastic doll, begging him to "undress me everywhere." Others loved the over-the-top cartoonish video and bizarre sound of the song.

Mattel (the makers of Barbie) were less than pleased that their product was being presented in such an overtly sexual way and filed a lawsuit. The courts ruled that the song was a parody and thus permissible, but Mattel took it all the way to the Supreme Court. The company had a change of heart in 2009, when they changed the lyrics and used the song in an ad campaign.

ROLLING STONE'S WORST '90s SONG ENTRIES, 2-10:

2. Los Del Rio, "Macarena"

3. Billy Ray Cyrus, "Achy Breaky Heart"

4. Vanilla Ice, "Ice Ice Baby"

5. Chumbawamba, "Tubthumping"

6. Hanson, "MMMBop"

7. Celine Dion, "My Heart Will Go On"

8. Baha Men, "Who Let The Dogs Out?"

9. Right Said Fred, "I'm Too Sexy"

10. 4 Non Blondes, "What's Up?"
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

“the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
      7. Celine Dion, "My Heart Will Go On"
      You know something, Andy. I never let CDF knew of my hatre of SWSNBN. Namely, it's not the forum for it. Should I end CDF's happy ignorance?

Comment

Can we expand the list?

I have several songs coming to my mind, for 1. Technotronic - Pump Up The Jam
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I dunno, I kinda like "Tubthumping" and "What's Up".

This one, however, should have definitely been on the list:

Snow - Informer

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Cant recall which was the worst but a trip down memory lane is nice..

Last edited by 1979; 07 Sep 11,, 08:26.
            J'ai en marre.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979 View Post
              Cant recall which was the worst but a trip down memory lane is nice..
              Dude, Black Velvet is an awesome song! How dare you?!

Besides, it was recorded in 1988 and released in the US in 1989
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

if you are into that kind of thing...
                i guess your right about the date, it certainly fells that way ...
                ie 80's music.
                J'ai en marre.

Comment

if you are into that kind of thing...
                  i guess your right about the date, it certainly fells that way ...
                  ie 80's music.
                  Fail!

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                    Fail!
                    i apologize dok , here is a song to make up...
                    J'ai en marre.

Comment

Much better ;)

Comment

i apologize dok , here is a song to make up...
                        Nothing at all Ironic about that song:

Comment

how could i forget boy bands...

J'ai en marre.

Comment

and the girl bands

Comment

90s was not a bad decade for music, like the 60s & 70s, lots of new interesting genres especially in the electronic scene made it. Note this is not the sort of music you will ever hear on top of the pops or on the radio unless its dedicated to that sort of genre.

The 80s, however has got to be the worst decade.

Comment

Working...
                              X