Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantastic pictures! Sounds like it was a great day for naval tradition and one of our most beloved vessels.

Now that all four Iowa class battleships are museum ships, will there be competition as to which organization keeps their sister ship in the best shape?
    Maybe the gold standard should be which ship requires the fewest days to be ready to fire up the steam engines and make for open water :)

Comment

• Found some videos of the move on YouTube, the first is taken from the Benicia Bridge.

The second is the move to Richmond.

USS Iowa (BB-61) Benicia-Martinez Bridge 10/27/2011 - YouTube

BB-61

Comment

• Very good view....

Thank you for posting the video of the Iowa

Nice overhead view that no one get's to view very often.... ;)

Comment

• I had forgotten that the Benicia-Martinez Bridge has a pedestrian walkway. I was planning on waiting until the move to LA and just sit on the Golden Gate Bridge and watch her pass underneath. Oops!

Comment

• :(((( Post #114

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/bat...tml#post840799

Comment

• Two things of quick notice. First Rusty in the video up on the forward fire control tower (around back of the Captains Bridge). Second. Iowa is missing her forward ABL's for the Toms I see she does have the aft ABL's. The CIWS was a given, that was removed even before she left Philadelphia for the Reserve Fleet.

Great video and pics guys and a job well done.
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• I noticed that too. Dumb question if has been answered somewhere else on the WAB, but did the USN set aside ABLs, older model CIWS, and radars (SPS-49, etc) for use on museum ships?

Comment

• We are still looking for four ABL's. It sickened me a year or so ago seeing video of a Spruance class Destroyer being sunk as a fishing reef with TWO ABL's still on board on the foredeck (I designed the foundations for them many moons ago). But you have to be careful which ABL's you pick up. Most were built by General Dynamics but some were built by FMC so the foundations are slightly different. I know that two of the ABL's on New Jersey are FMC and the others are GD.

As for the SPS-49 antenna, I think there's still a couple around on at least one of the Carriers slated for Sinkex. The SPS-35 should be no problem as it's the same as an SPS-10.

The main battery Radars and the SATCOM antennas are stowed in the two 40-foot cargo containers back aft.
                  Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• I thought the carriers were all supposed be recycled, instead of being sunk; if a ship is supposed to be used for Sinkex, would the NAVY still allow a group at this late date to get the radar off?

I am a novice about how these things work, so please educate me.
                    Last edited by Archdude; 31 Oct 11,, 01:10. Reason: Remove some comments

Comment

• Im thinking one reason as to why they are being sunk instead of being scrapped is so others "eyes" cannot see how and where they are protected although they are of older building concepts. With how fast pics travel the net of things like this its good safe practice. The other is that they do make a great artifical reef once they are stripped and emptied..

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayGhost1975 View Post
                        I noticed that too. Dumb question if has been answered somewhere else on the WAB, but did the USN set aside ABLs, older model CIWS, and radars (SPS-49, etc) for use on museum ships?
                        Some parts you have to get them where and when you can. Like from ships in the reserve fleets. Others once they are gone they are gone unless lying in a warehouse which im sure that Rusty and TBM will agree is becoming more and more a very rare occurance.

The 4 CIWS aboard were taken off before (probably Long Beach or perhaps even Norfolk her last time in) she was mothballed in Bremerton for 9 years. They were not aboard in Long Beach at her decomm ceremony nor were her radars, both had previously been removed. Hughs/General Dynamics refurbished them and donated them to the ship for display. They were placed back aboard after recieving her new paint job at the prior New York ship building site just prior to being moved to her present berth in Camden for display. These originally are the Block 0 mod 0 series. The Block 1's didn't come aboard the battleships until 1988.
                        Last edited by Dreadnought; 31 Oct 11,, 14:52.

Comment

• Say, Rusty, I thought and you thought at the time that the starboard anchor was up on the deck when she docked at Benicia? On one of the overhead videos I didn't see an anchor anywhere up front. Did I miss seeing it there or is it elsewhere?

Comment

• Some other video's I came across on YouTube.

Leaving the mothball fleet and going under the bridge. Too many video edits on this one.
                            USS Iowa Escapes Mothballs - YouTube

Docking in Richmond first 5 minutes. Some nice close up video around the deck. Once the gangway was down looks like there some people were allowed to walk around onboard.
                            USS Iowa Escapes Mothballs Day Two - YouTube

Another docking video taken from the dock. Nice closeups of the superstructure.
                            USS Iowa docks in Richmond, CA - YouTube

Comment

• If I may reask my question....do they exercise the 5"/38 and 16" turrets so they don't freeze or are they left to their own devices?
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                                If I may reask my question....do they exercise the 5"/38 and 16" turrets so they don't freeze or are they left to their own devices?
                                The 5"/38's (well atleast two different mounts 1 port and 1 starboard side) aboard New Jersey are shot pretty often during events, special occasion etc. All other mounts and the turrets are laid up for long term storage. If they were to exercise them, all of their systems would have to have the preservatives removed first and flushed several times and then disassembled and checked over for internal operation before refilling and powering up. These would include the electric, hydraulic systems to each mount/turret.

In short none of the 16" turrets are shot, rotated or elevated but are cared for pretty well. Its all there, just a matter of reconnecting certain equipment, flushing, filling and powering.

The expensive part comes in operation of all of those motors and perifials. To rotate the turret alone involves not just electrictity to 500 hp motors and other motors, but hydraulics as well to several pieces of equipment and completing the entire circuit, which more then likely means that all of the system plus its redundant pieces have to be operational as well. It would be a very expensive undertaking and untimately time consuming process. Not that it could not be done, its just you also risk failure of critical pieces that would require replacement if one broke. This is probably not in the budget and more then likely requires the USN's blessing before it takes place.

When they change the elevation of the 16" guns (which has happened a few times) it is done manually via the elevating screw. One screw per barrel so the process must be done three times over for just one turret and its time consuming and manpower intensive.
                                Last edited by Dreadnought; 31 Oct 11,, 15:43.

Comment

Working...
                                X