Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, someone who is far more versed in Naval Warfare and assets has got to answer the second reply in this article by a local paper.

PHOTOS: USS Iowa on the move | TheGazette

Second link is from the station that had the one reporter live down at the pier. He got the names of all the Iowa Class right after he asked Nat twice what they were to be sure himself on the air.

USS Iowa makes long-awaited trip to Bay Area to prep for restoration - News Story - KTVU San Francisco

Comment

• You are watching milions upon millions of US tax dollars floating away. Battleships have been out moded since before the last refit of the Iowa. All the high tech improvements still made it a floating island of steel that was slow, and out of date with modern Naval warefare, as it’s grounding in the mud during shake down attests.
      The sailors killed when one of the turrets exploded was never accurately investigated and for all intent and purpose the Iowa is a floating monument to political cover-up

Above from the reply to the article in the paper

This would be my reply..... Idiot!

One that dont realize the money to move her was donated by the people through donations not the government, The USN just volunteered its time and that the navy normally assists in the movement of any of their major warships past or present. They have more experience with them then anyone period. They also assisted with the Intrepid after her tow attempts failed and the Navy helped them get her out and to drydock.

Secondly, Slow? 33-35 knots is slow for a warship nearly 900 feet long? Your nuclear carriers can only go but so much faster but that needs not to be advertised. And you consider that slow?

I'm wondering which of the Iowa's grounded on sea trials or her shake down cruise, none that the navy or anyone else lists that I know of. I have read many logs and never once have I come across anything of that nature. Im sure those that were aboard for them would never forget something like that and it would be well documented. That is outside of Missouri's grounding at Thimbal Shoals and a slight one elsewhere.

The 16"/50's were employed during ODS aboard Missouri and Wisconsin even after Iowas 1987 accident.

Further proving the fault did not lie with the gun itself. They are all identical in their safety's and firing mechanisms and are all given the very same rigorous inspections by the USN and USN gunnery Chiefs.

Thats like blaming the match for the fire. An accident happened and its not the first time that a gunnery mishap happened aboard a US Navy ship. It also happened aboard the USS Newport News and prior aboard USS Princeton and others with much smaller guns/cannon. And yes men were killed and maimed.

Firing such big guns/cannons is inherently dangerous, its a well know fact but it is also their assigned jobs and training. And they did it very well. They had more practice with those weapons then most responsible gun owners have with their own weapons beyond question.

Look how many people either shoot themselves or others "by accident" with handguns. Thousands upon thousands have dont just that, "by accident".

As mentioned prior, Idiot. Perhaps educate yourself before throwing around baseless claims about the ships. Moron.
      Last edited by Dreadnought; 28 Oct 11,, 20:14.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Posts like that guys are standard fare for the Bay Area.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayGhost1975 View Post
          Posts like that guys are standard fare for the Bay Area.
          I would say that is a little harsh. Remember, in general, only a few people really post comments on media websites. As long as I have been involved with the Hornet, and as many people I have met because of that involvement, I would say there are a great many in the Bay Area who feel different. Just look at the crowds who come out for Fleet Week where there can be 500,000 out for the show. Sure a few say it is a waste of money and fuel but the vast majority are thrilled to see the fleet in along with the Blue Angles. Just watch how many try to get near the ship when she is in Richmond.

Comment

• I wonder if he even remembers that it was San Francisco that wasted the intial tow fee and the USN Navys time and efforts to tow her there in the first place. Just to deny her a home months later. My money says he dont.
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Yeah it did come out a bit harsh, didn't mean it to.
              I guess I was letting my frustration with the regions politics (ok maybe just SF's)
              out some.
              I've been following the museum efforts for the Iowa for a while and was
              [I]really[I] excited when she was brought here, only to have those hopes
              dashed.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                Oh, someone who is far more versed in Naval Warfare and assets has got to answer the second reply in this article by a local paper.

PHOTOS: USS Iowa on the move | TheGazette

Second link is from the station that had the one reporter live down at the pier. He got the names of all the Iowa Class right after he asked Nat twice what they were to be sure himself on the air.

USS Iowa makes long-awaited trip to Bay Area to prep for restoration - News Story - KTVU San Francisco
                Nice stories!

Comment

• Story on her pulling into Richmond. I did get a little carried away at the end.

U.S.S. Iowa Sails Out of Bay on "Last Mission" (Photos) - San Francisco News - The Snitch

3:34 KTVU video of the ship moving towards Richmond. Videos on the right side of the page.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/index.html
                  Last edited by tbm3fan; 29 Oct 11,, 01:29.

Comment

• Pretty impressive video from right over the Iowa on the Benicia bridge...

Comment

• Jeff and I make the San Francisco Chronicle today.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Back in my hotel, trying to connect with their complimentary computer.
                        We towed the ship from Benicia to Richmond today. Perfect weather. Crowley did a terrific job on the tow.

I have to thank TBM3Fan for supplying volunteers and cars to haul us riders out to the Benicia dock so we all got on board and on time. Greant guys from the Hornet.

Tuesday afternoon when Bob Riha Jr. (of USA TODAY) and I were scouting out camera locations, a local stopped by and expressed his interest in the ship. He volunteered his van to drive us back from Richmond to Benicia. We were two hours ahead of schedule but he was there waiting. We kept in contact by cell phone as he watched us pass under one of the bridges. Thanks to him six of us were able to get back to the hotel without paying extraordinary cab fare.

I treated both Bob and him (his first name is Dave) to dinner tonight.

The tow was great. Upon reaching Richmond, a young lady from the Coast Guard was handling the mooring lines. As I left the ship, I followed Navy tradition and saluted the flag. Bob Riha took other photos of me with the flag when I changed my hat from Pacific Battleship Center to my American Legion hat of Houghton Park Post 560 (of which I'm the commander). After getting on the dock, the Coast Guard lady had me put on my American Legion hat and had a picture taken of the two of us with Old Glory on the aft jack staff in the background.

A great day. I'm sore, tired, aching but feel twenty years younger (which would still put me in a Senior Citizens discount at some stores).

Again, I have to thank TBM3Fan for his help and we had a great day. Thie first leg of bringing the Iowa home to Los Angeles is complete and done without a hitch.
                        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• BZ guys! Great job, good press despite the idiots trying to comment to the contrary. Bos'n would crap his britches if he saw the teak so gray, but after 21 years as a ghost he'd probably roll up his own sleeves to help holy stone her again. The more I see of her in pics, the more I'm dying to get out to see her for real. Still working on my schedule to get to Cali and volunteer asap.
                          sigpic

Comment

• There is some irony in the fact that at least one of the stated reasons SF didn't want the IOWA was the Navy's stance on homosexuality. (which was ironic in and of itself since the Navy and all the armed forces simply were executing a congressional order, so I never really understood why the city was so adamant that it was the Navy's issue) So now that issue is moot, would SF have accepted her? Saying that, although I live on the east coast, once she is ready for viewing, I will be spending money to go see her!

Comment

• Hurray for the Iowa!!! Thanks Rusty, TBM3fan and everyone who made this possible. :wors:
                              A whole class preserved - what a tremendous victory this is, for everyone who cares about these proud ships! :Dancing-Banana::Dancing-Banana:
                              Last edited by USSWisconsin; 29 Oct 11,, 17:49.
                              sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                              If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

• The AH who wrote this needs keelhauling - on a merchant ship - he doesn't even deserve to be dragged under a navy ship. Idiot! Liar! Treacherous Cretin!
                                No clue, no research, no truth...
                                It appears that in his tiny, calcified mind - the USN is reactivating this ship to serve in the fleet?
                                Does the museum part totally escape his feeble grasp of reality? Like all his "facts" did - not one of which is true or even remotely accurate.

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                                You are watching milions upon millions of US tax dollars floating away. Battleships have been out moded since before the last refit of the Iowa. All the high tech improvements still made it a floating island of steel that was slow, and out of date with modern Naval warefare, as it’s grounding in the mud during shake down attests.
                                The sailors killed when one of the turrets exploded was never accurately investigated and for all intent and purpose the Iowa is a floating monument to political cover-up

Last edited by USSWisconsin; 29 Oct 11,, 17:53.
                                sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                                If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Working...
                                X