Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 560

Thread: We Got the IOWA

  1. #91
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 09
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,982
    Iowa 14

    Second is me to prove I was there. I remember when I first started posting on the board, and put pictures up of the Iowa, a few people didn't believe I was actually on the ship.

  2. #92
    Defense Professional Dreadnought's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 May 05
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA.
    Posts
    14,728
    "Cast Loose", Free and clear. Awesome pics Mike. And flying the Jack at her bow. Safe and sound pierside. Excellent gentlemen, just "excellent". A very good day.

    Gonna have to do something about that missing Starboardside anchor.

    Who is the guy pierside with the waterskiing vest? And the camera man? That wouldnt keep a dog afloat nevermind someone his size...lmao

    You guys owe yourself tonight. A job very well done!
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 28 Oct 11, at 04:50.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

  3. #93
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 09
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,982
    Iowa 15

    First picture of Nat, VP of the Port, the supervisor who picked us out, Jeff of the Hornet and me.

  4. #94
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 09
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,982
    Iowa 16

    First picture of Dick (Rusty) talking to Jeff about ships. Jeff was impressed by his knowledge.

  5. #95
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 09
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    "Cast Loose", Free and clear. Awesome pics Mike. And flying the Jack at her bow. Safe and sound pierside. Excellent gentlemen, just "excellent". A very good day.

    Gonna have to do something about that missing Starboardside anchor.

    Who is the guy pierside with the waterskiing vest? That wouldnt keep a dog afloat nevermind someone his size...lmao

    You guys owe yourself tonight. A job very well done!
    The guy with the vest is the port Vice President.

    USA Today has the ship drawing 38 feet. Actually only 27 feet today.

    Everyone was waiting for the pier to shake when the Iowa hit since the roll on roll off ships make the dock shake like a 3.0 quake. The tugs were so gentle that there wasn't the slightest vibration felt.

    The anchor is supposed to be on the forward deck from what I was told.
    Last edited by tbm3fan; 28 Oct 11, at 04:48.

  6. #96
    Defense Professional Dreadnought's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 May 05
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA.
    Posts
    14,728
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm3fan View Post
    The guy with the vest is the port Vice President.

    USA Today has the ship drawing 38 feet. Actually only 27 feet today.

    Everyone was waiting for the pier to shake when the Iowa hit since the roll on roll off ships make the dock shake like a 3.0 quake. The tugs were so gentle that there wasn't the slightest vibration felt.

    The anchor is supposed to be on the forward deck from what I was told.
    Yes, it is according to her tow plan, You guys did a great job with her!

    Reverance is why she touched so lightly, no doubt they felt honored to be involved with docking her and did their very best and apparently the did a very good job with her.

    Appears as though she has new mooring lines too. Well a few new ones.

    Now that she is pierside wait and see how many pictures turn up of her.

    I also dont see the "Old Man" in any of those pics, where's he hiding?Ahh, in cammy
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 28 Oct 11, at 05:06.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

  7. #97
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 09
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    This may be a bit off-topic, but does that apply to the Essex-class carriers, like the Hornet, as well? tbm?
    Yes, the Navy does an annual inspection. However, they are only looking to see if she is ship shape in the sense that she is safely docked, alarms in order and that sort of stuff with her. They don't even look at whether any mods have been done since the Hornet has been stricken from the Navy rolls. What protects the Hornet is that she is a National Historical Landmark and that prohibits changes to her. Our former COO tried to do somethings years ago and there was mysteriously notification to him from the National Park Service that he better not. These were things like an elevator to move wheel chairs up to the flight deck and his desire to cut into the bulkheads of the laundry room to make it easier for people to get in and out. Then there are the stanchions and knee knockers. None ever happened as an eye was kept on him...

    I do not believe the other three Essex Carriers have National Landmark status.

  8. #98
    Patron
    Join Date
    30 Jul 08
    Posts
    294
    I'd just like to say thanks to TBMFAN3 for taking the photos, very much appreciated.

    On another note - the tugs just nudged her on her way, no tow line?

    What a magnificent piece of hardware. Is it still true that she is still the most complex piece of machinery afloat? I've heard that the carriers are pretty complex but ignoring the reactor they're still just flat deck petrol tankers I thought.

  9. #99
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 09
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Boat View Post
    I'd just like to say thanks to TBMFAN3 for taking the photos, very much appreciated.

    On another note - the tugs just nudged her on her way, no tow line?

    What a magnificent piece of hardware. Is it still true that she is still the most complex piece of machinery afloat? I've heard that the carriers are pretty complex but ignoring the reactor they're still just flat deck petrol tankers I thought.
    Three tugs used. One on either side, with no lines, for forward motion. One at the stern, with a line, and this tug acted as the rudder directing the position of the ship. She is an awesome ship to be standing beside her with that up swept bow. Oh, and that may only be the second time I have ever used the word awesome be so over rated except this time.

  10. #100
    Senior Contributor blidgepump's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jul 09
    Posts
    2,708

    front page USA news

    Quote Originally Posted by tbm3fan View Post
    Three tugs used. One on either side, with no lines, for forward motion. One at the stern, with a line, and this tug acted as the rudder directing the position of the ship. She is an awesome ship to be standing beside her with that up swept bow. Oh, and that may only be the second time I have ever used the word awesome be so over rated except this time.
    Well, bb61 made the frontpage of USA news

  11. #101
    Patron BB61Vet's Avatar
    Join Date
    30 Aug 11
    Location
    Northeast Texas
    Posts
    182
    I can remember the day when any Iowa class movement would make the front page. Such is the prestige that the great ladies carry. People would line bridges and piers even in foreign ports just to catch a glimpse of her. I'm damned proud to find out that hasn't changed.

  12. #102
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Mostly Harmless
    bigross86's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Aug 03
    Location
    Tel Aviv, Israel
    Posts
    14,070
    From the pictures it looks like she was towed in reverse. Is there any particular reason for that, or that's just how she was berthed and they didn't bother turning her around?
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

    Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

  13. #103
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 09
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,982
    Quote Originally Posted by bigross86 View Post
    From the pictures it looks like she was towed in reverse. Is there any particular reason for that, or that's just how she was berthed and they didn't bother turning her around?
    She was berth stern downstream all these years. So she was pulled out that way and when she got close to the bridge she was then moved to the left to make the approach. Once through the bridges and then across from the pier, where numerous car ferries tie up and guess the water is deeper all around, she was turned bow downstream and moved in.

  14. #104
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Albany Rifles's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Apr 07
    Location
    Prince George, VA
    Posts
    8,957
    BRAVO ZULU to all. Great job, great story, great pics!

    I apologize if this has been asked before but....

    Do they ever exercise the gun turrets, etc, to make sure they don't freeze up?
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

  15. #105
    Banned Regular
    Join Date
    11 Jun 09
    Posts
    51
    Congrats, all! This was welcome news on a very dark day yesterday.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Latest on IOWA
    By RustyBattleship in forum Battleships Board
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 10 Jul 12,, 02:25
  2. USS Iowa?
    By SOAR21 in forum Battleships Board
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 21 Nov 09,, 01:21
  3. What's going on with Iowa?
    By Michigan_Guy in forum Battleships Board
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 12 Jan 09,, 15:06
  4. Iowa VLS plans
    By Rick DeBay in forum Battleships Board
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05 Sep 07,, 04:39

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •