Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You will have a hell of a crew to do the work. It sure is nice to more than a handful who will actually know what they are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
      You will have a hell of a crew to do the work. It sure is nice to more than a handful who will actually know what they are doing.
      I look at the posted pictures from the picnic every year and if those people are the ones that want to volunteer, then it will be about 95% "Chiefs" and 5% "Indians."

Good luck to all the volunteers.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
        ...But my muscles are paying for it today.
        You may know how to lift Battleship 6 ft in the air, and keep it that way for days, but when it comes to own wife life sucks ;)
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
          I look at the posted pictures from the picnic every year and if those people are the ones that want to volunteer, then it will be about 95% "Chiefs" and 5% "Indians.
          Good luck to all the volunteers.
          Well, don't forget, most of us around YOUR AGE, maybe even a little older. But just having them on hand to direct the youngsters is going to be very important as the actual workers will be getting trained by THE PROFESSIONALS.

Also, all people who want to volunteer and punch up the Pacific Battleship Center pledge form.

Volunteer Hour Pledge

As for selecting hours, we understand it's just a guess at this point and won't hold you to them. But if any of you are from (or were assigned to) the Long Beach Naval Shipyard, add on the letters LBNSY to your pledge.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

This must be the first time an entire commissioned class has been preserved, remarkable testimony to these ships. They're not coming back, but they're not gone. Congratulations, she's in good hands.

Comment

Originally posted by RmK View Post
              This must be the first time an entire commissioned class has been preserved, remarkable testimony to these ships. They're not coming back, but they're not gone. Congratulations, she's in good hands.
              Thank you. And that's an interesting historical reference in that an ENTIRE CLASS of ships has been saved as memorial museum ships. Though there are only four in the class, they are BIG enough to offer quite a challenge to restore, repair and maintain. Especially when you consider the total weight of Turret II with its guns, barbette and machinery flats weighs a tad more than an entire Fletcher class Destroyer fully loaded out.

PS: I'm not downgrading the Fletchers in any way. I've worked aboard quite a number of them and have always considered them the neatest looking Destroyers ever built. The later classes of Destroyers may have sprouted one more 5"/38 (using three twin mounts), but the Fletchers always looked like the Greyhounds of the sea.

Comment

Rusty, just curious how much DEMIL is going to need to take place before the ship is released to your custody. I know the New Jersey's amateur radio club has been rebuilding equipment for years that was wrecked out, things like the 1MC will come in handy once you get power back on board... Hopefully the hacksaws and cutting torches can be kept to a minimum!

Comment

I see on the Facebook Pacific Battleship Center page there are a few unhappy people on how the 200 passengers for the "Ride" are going to be selected.

I can't find anything interesting about being stuck on a dead ship that's being towed and pushed around.

You get the 200 people onboard and as soon as the ship is free, break out the scrapers and issue them.....
                  Last edited by Ytlas; 29 Sep 11,, 03:29.

Comment

Ytlas, you have to have been there. There's a TON of memories for me on that ship, and just standing on her decks again after 21 years would be a priviledge beyond price to me. As for scrapers, I'd be damned glad to use one while taking 'the ride'.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BB61Vet View Post
                      Ytlas, you have to have been there. There's a TON of memories for me on that ship, and just standing on her decks again after 21 years would be a priviledge beyond price to me. As for scrapers, I'd be damned glad to use one while taking 'the ride'.
                      My late uncle was a water tender on the ship long long ago, but I don't feel any connection to the ship. My Dad also visited it in Norfolk in early 1984.

I really don't see the draw to be onboard while it's being push around. If it moved on it's own power, well maybe.

Comment

Congrats Rusty!
                        "Who says organization, says oligarchy"

Comment

Originally posted by Wayfarer View Post
                          Congrats Rusty!
                          Thank you. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the ship parallel to Hwy 101 and how long of a rope I need to pull her down south with my Ford F-150.

Comment

I'm late to this thread - I absolutely LOVE it when magnificent machines are preserved for posterity. I wish we had been more thoughtful with aircraft. For example, the B-29... once they darkened the sky, and now there are maybe 2 flying? Very sad. And there is one B-36 being restored as we speak, but the rest have been turned into soda cans and office buildings.

How will the hull be treated for long-term static floating? The ongoing battle with corrosion is going to be a nightmare, but you guys know how to handle all of that.

Comment

They recently docked Missouri and gave her hull a refit - they have much better materials these days
                              sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                              If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                                Thank you. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the ship parallel to Hwy 101 and how long of a rope I need to pull her down south with my Ford F-150.
                                I hope your F150 has the big motor (the blower version) ;)
                                sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                                If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Working...
                                X