This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Michigan_Guy View Post
    Love the rail gun, problem is the huge energy required to run just one. Need to bring a power plant and a warehouse full of capacitors, transformers, and switching gear along with ya. I think we're a very long ways away from seeing rail guns in any practical vessel.
    I think it will only be a matter of time. No doubt they want to nano size the tech but as far as shipboard gunnery goes its the future, more range, safer, no explosive charge and less man power intensive. All plus's from the usual arguments.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Groupon tour coupon

Battleship Iowa Deal of the Day | Groupon Orange County

Comment

• My daughter and I spent the day on board. She's looking very good. Everyone involved has done a tremendous job with her.

Comment

• We need some help tracking down some "parts" missing off of the Battleship Iowa. So far we know that her aft Mk-28 fire control computer was removed by personnel from the Washington Navy Yard Museum. In accordance with Navy orders under the "donation" agreement, we must keep that ship intact for possible reactivation. Therefore that computer must be sent back to the ship ASAP.

We also have an indication that the Washington Navy Yard also took one of the helmsman's wheels. Probably the one from inside the armored tower on the 04 level bridge. That also needs to be returned.

Also, I seem to remember a posting on this forum that a crewmember of the Iowa took the other helm (probably the 08 level conning station) as the ship was being deactivated.

That helm also must be returned.

To maintain privacy, you can contact me on the notifications board. I can give you an address to ship the items back. It won't be the post office box in San Pedro (that helm or the computer won't fit).

No questions asked but Pacific Battleship Center can issue you a letter of thanks for your devotion to saving the world's last Battleship and finding her original parts for us.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Return of parts...

Mr. L, I have no knowledge of the parts which you are addressing, but I am pretty sure they won;t be showing up on E-bay!
            Is it still custom for the last commanding officer to receive the "ship's wheel"?

Comment

• we need to put her back in one piece per the agreement , i hope it everything turns up :red:
              all the iowa's need to be activation ready:slap:

Comment

• good job! now the enemies will face our TRUE power!

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                  We need some help tracking down some "parts" missing off of the Battleship Iowa. So far we know that her aft Mk-28 fire control computer was removed by personnel from the Washington Navy Yard Museum. In accordance with Navy orders under the "donation" agreement, we must keep that ship intact for possible reactivation. Therefore that computer must be sent back to the ship ASAP.

We also have an indication that the Washington Navy Yard also took one of the helmsman's wheels. Probably the one from inside the armored tower on the 04 level bridge. That also needs to be returned.

Also, I seem to remember a posting on this forum that a crewmember of the Iowa took the other helm (probably the 08 level conning station) as the ship was being deactivated.

To maintain privacy, you can contact me on the notifications board. I can give you an address to ship the items back. It won't be the post office box in San Pedro (that helm or the computer won't fit).

No questions asked but Pacific Battleship Center can issue you a letter of thanks for your devotion to saving the world's last Battleship and finding her original parts for us.
                  Dick, a quick question that may provide you with a time frame of when the 04 went missing. When you were aboard Iowa in the Reserve Fleet was the conning tower doors closed or open? If they were closed it would mean the helm went missing before she was prepped for the reserve. There is only one way to open the doors and thats from the inside. If they were open then chances are they were spirited away either when she was towed or while in the reserve.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                    Dick, a quick question that may provide you with a time frame of when the 04 went missing. When you were aboard Iowa in the Reserve Fleet was the conning tower doors closed or open? If they were closed it would mean the helm went missing before she was prepped for the reserve. There is only one way to open the doors and thats from the inside. If they were open then chances are they were spirited away either when she was towed or while in the reserve.
                    They were sealed from the inside but had them opened up for our inspections in August and October of 2006. We have photographs of the conning stations missing their wheels. We are pretty sure that the Washington Navy Yard Museum took one of the wheels when they took our Mk 28 fire control computer off as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                      Mr. L, I have no knowledge of the parts which you are addressing, but I am pretty sure they won;t be showing up on E-bay!
                      Is it still custom for the last commanding officer to receive the "ship's wheel"?
                      I don't think so. The HORNET's wheel ended up at Lemoore NAS on the wall of the Officer's Club for one of the F-18 Hornet squadrons. Took several years and Senator Feinstein to persuade them to give it to us. Our scoreboard ended up at Pensacola and is still the only carrier scoreboard displayed with all the others back in storage. Rusty may eventually find the things he is looking for but then may have to twist arms to get it returned especially if in Navy hands like Lemoore NAS and our wheel.

Comment

• There is also another way. Petition them for stewardship of said items during this time period being as though they do actually have the rest of the ship and no doubt a center piece is missing and in their possesion. One could raise the question of who it actually belongs to and argure said party has a right to view if possiible...i.e the US taxpayer who would be viewing that item and paying for its upkeep via tour costs.

Not saying its a slam dunk but it may raise a few eyebrows of those that may take it upon themselves to find out that answer.

IMO, it belongs to the Iowa and the people that choose to view her history.
                        Last edited by Dreadnought; 16 Apr 13,, 02:28.

Comment

• A shot of New Jerseys 04 Conning Helm.
                          Attached Files

Comment

A shot of New Jerseys 04 Conning Helm.
                            Yep, looks just like the two wheels we have...:)

Comment

A shot of New Jerseys 04 Conning Helm.
                              THAT is what we want back. For now, somebody donated a spoked ship's conning helm that we have mounted in place. But it's only for show and is not the Iowa's helm.

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                                We need some help tracking down some "parts" missing off of the Battleship Iowa. So far we know that her aft Mk-28 fire control computer was removed by personnel from the Washington Navy Yard Museum. In accordance with Navy orders under the "donation" agreement, we must keep that ship intact for possible reactivation. Therefore that computer must be sent back to the ship ASAP.

Originally posted by Dreadnought
                                There is also another way. Petition them for stewardship of said items during this time period being as though they do actually have the rest of the ship and no doubt a center piece is missing and in their possesion. One could raise the question of who it actually belongs to and argure said party has a right to view if possiible...i.e the US taxpayer who would be viewing that item and paying for its upkeep via tour costs.
                                If the Navy has it, I'll bet they will say that they will maintain it. The PBC just need to keep what they have IAW the agreement. In case of reactivation (yea right) they will install said gear during the refit.

The argument against Dreads," It will be see by taxpayers and upkeep funded through the tour cost", is Upkeep is already funded through taxpayers, and our museum is free for them to view it. We also get more visitors......

Comment

Working...
                                X