This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post

As far as the Battle Stars, those ships and their operations supported all of your ground forces in country as well as weaken an enemy's ground forces and strongholds. We are not talking DC actions or awards.
    Actually You did. Thats why I addressed it

Originally posted by dreadnought
    Strongly disagree with you here. What about the carriers that suffered many unfortunate accident while supporting all ground forces,
    Are you saying that the ship deserves battlestars for the accidents? Or how they handled the accidents?

How is it any different than WW2 where ships dealt with battle damage from Kamakaze hits but remained/returned to action during the campaign? They didn't receive "extra"
    Battle Stars for that. So why should a ship off the coast of Vietnam rate them?

They fought the very same war as all other forces and ground forces. The conditions were definately different. The Team was very much the same. In doing their jobs as part of US forces, IMO, they deserve as much credit as can be afforded. Death to our ground forces is no different then death onboard USN ships or US air Forces while supporting those forces. The outcome remains the same. However, it is no doubt much more diffacult to police the dead of the ground forces and in many cases aerial forces as many still never came home.
    I really have no idea what your trying to say here Or how it relates to the awarding of Battlestars.
    Last edited by Gun Grape; 07 Jan 13,, 03:41.

Comment

• Just wandering by this string, skimming and reading every 7th word. I just want to toss in this link for Korean War Campaign Credits.
      Korea Campaign Credits - A

and medal in general

USN Service Medal Index

I really don't want to understand the criteria for earning ribbons and medals these days. I remember a few years ago I saw a program with a female Ensign with two years active duty working in data processing in Washington. She was wearing 12 ribbons.

........... maybe 6 ribbons...... memory going south. Anyway, that's a lot of ribbons for two years.
      Last edited by Ytlas; 07 Jan 13,, 05:00.

Comment

• That's exactly my point.

Here is an active duty Navy Capt's rack compared to General of the Army McArthur

The Navy Capt served in Op Southern Watch and Iraqi Freedom. (19 ribbons)

McAuthur served during the War with the Philippines, War with Mexico, WW1, WW2, and the Korean conflict (21 ribbons)

7 of Macs are individual awards for valor in combat or wounds. None of the Capts are.

Have we inflated the awards system?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Gun Grape; 07 Jan 13,, 05:42.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
          Just wandering by this string, skimming and reading every 7th word. I just want to toss in this link for Korean War Campaign Credits.
          Korea Campaign Credits - A

and medal in general

USN Service Medal Index

I really don't want to understand the criteria for earning ribbons and medals these days. I remember a few years ago I saw a program with a female Ensign with two years active duty working in data processing in Washington. She was wearing 12 ribbons.

........... maybe 6 ribbons...... memory going south. Anyway, that's a lot of ribbons for two years.
          I googled up a pic of a female Ensign with 12 ribbons. One was a good conduct so she has some enlisted service.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            I googled up a pic of a female Ensign with 12 ribbons. One was a good conduct so she has some enlisted service.
            Just a footnote, remember this?

Jeremy Michael Boorda, Admiral, United States Navy

Comment

• The Geier factor.....

While performing research for another thread on the Naval Warfare board, I came across this interesting bit of information about the Iowa Class battleships and the connection to Mr. Fred Geier, President, Cincinnati Milling Machine.

The recital is from Mr. Arthur Herman's book, Freedom's Force, Random House Publishing.

"Mr. Fred Geier did not fit the traditional hard charging American businessman.
              He was soft spoken and wore three piece business suits on the golf course.....
              Beginning in 1932-33, he made several business trips to Germany..... one of his most important (finds ) was a giant machine for boring large naval guns. Geier had seen one in Germany and brought one to the USA secretly in defiance of Nazi export rules.
              It was this mammoth machine that would bore the guns on the Iowa Class battle ships."

A far sighted gentleman who realized the importance for tooling> ;)
              Last edited by blidgepump; 27 Jan 13,, 20:17.

Comment

• Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                While performiong researh for another thread on the Naval Warfare board, I came across this interesting bit of information about the Iowa Class battleships and the connection to Mr. Fred Geier, President, Cincinnnati Milling Machine.

The recital is from Mr. Arthur Herman's book, Freedom's Force, Random House Publishing.

"Mr. Fred Geier did not fit the traditional hard charging American businessman.
                He was soft spoken and wore three piece business suits on the golf course.....
                Beginning in 1932-33, he made several business trips to Germany..... one of his most important (finds ) was a giant machine for boring giant naval guns. Geier had seen one in Germany and brought one to the USA secretly in defiance of Nazi export rules.
                It was this mammouth machince that would bore the guns on the Iowa Class battle ships."

A far sighted gentleman who realized the importance for tooling> ;)
                ok i gotta ask , where is this bore machine today ???

Comment

• Good question....

Originally posted by blackzz28 View Post
                  ok i gotta ask , where is this bore machine today ???
                  As the tools for war were no longer needed, I would suspect the boring machine mentioned in "Freedom's Force" was scrapped and recycled long ago.

There was a fellow named Darby ( also served one term as US Senator from Kansas ) who made landing craft in Kansas City, KS.
                  After the war his machine shops were near idle for 35-years until a large auction was held. Large lathes and milling machines with seals and castings reciting the War Production Board were sold for scrap prices and hauled across the street to be cut up and shipped off in U.P.R.R. cars and sent overseas.

Comment

• Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                    As the tools for war were no longer needed, I would suspect the boring machine mentioned in "Freedom's Force" was scrapped and recycled long ago.

There was a fellow named Darby ( also served one term as US Senator from Kansas ) who made landing craft in Kansas City, KS.
                    After the war his machine shops were near idle for 35-years until a large auction was held. Large lathes and milling machines with seals and castings reciting the War Production Board were sold for scrap prices and hauled across the street to be cut up and shipped off in U.P.R.R. cars and sent overseas.
                    wow that sucks :(

Comment

• There were several companies such as Westinghouse and General Electric that had lathes so large they could accomidate such long borings. I would almost bet that perhaps some of the original gun factories ran by the US still have a few.
                      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Biggest thing the US has the milling capability to make now are 155mm tubes.

Comment

• Tonight's math problem....

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                          Biggest thing the US has the milling capability to make now are 155mm tubes.

Okay, I had to reach for the calculator.... :whome:

That 155mm tube ( or ..... 6 & 7/64th inches......) trumps my 5-inch naval gun.
                          Last edited by blidgepump; 29 Jan 13,, 03:51.

Comment

• We aren't trying to build big guns either, we currently don't want them. We can build giant propeller shafts for CVN's and other large turned structures. If we wanted to build bigger guns, we'd just build the machines first. So much has changed with metalurgy and machining, that the old WWII equipment would probably not be used even if it was available. If we chose to do so, new USN big guns would be designed, fabricated and heat treated in new ways, and would be far superior to historical weapons.
                            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                            If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

• They dont need to. Its no longer the overall size of the shell, its the velocity and kinetic energy it strikes with. Railgun.
                              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                                They dont need to. Its no longer the overall size of the shell, its the velocity and kinetic energy it strikes with. Railgun.
                                Love the rail gun, problem is the huge energy required to run just one. Need to bring a power plant and a warehouse full of capacitors, transformers, and switching gear along with ya. I think we're a very long ways away from seeing rail guns in any practical vessel.
                                "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
                                -General George Patton Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X