X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats

Comment

Now I wonder how come I did not see this coming Wait a second I seem to recall 6 weeks ago:whome:

So now you put your work to ballast the ship into action. Too bad I couldn't get up there to help you in your requests given the unfortunate problems in May. Maybe this will loosen up MARAD a little bit. Remember there are a few on the Hornet who have the experience to help operate systems if needed in order to weigh anchor.

Comment

Oh, I think there is quite a few of them left around.:)
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

congrats, Rusty!
          If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

When will she be moved down to LA? I saw some fuss in the papers about moving her before the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
              When will she be moved down to LA? I saw some fuss in the papers about moving her before the winter.
              Well, Im not sure about that particular area (Suisan Bay) but in the Winter, the wind and waves are stronger then say Spring,Summer (minus storms ofcoarse) and Iowa must make it under the Suisan Bay Bridge. This is especially where her ballast and flooding calcs come into play since she will also have to make it into a drydock without the electrical power required to expel the ballast water she will have taken on in order to clear the bridge and remain stable. They will be that close.

Rusty, I think has already figured another way though if i'm "reading" him correctly.
              Last edited by Dreadnought; 07 Sep 11,, 21:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
                We have a couple of transfer scenarios in mind but are dependent on when we can move the ship out of Siusun Bay and how long she will be in dry dock. Our most sought after goal is to bring her into San Pedro on Veterans Day in November.

However, this is going to be very dependent on weather and sea currents. Usually the Navy doesn't like to tow ships along the West Coast in the winter months because we have conflicting currents constantly changing their routes.

So, practicality speaking we may be forced to wait until some time early next year.

It's mostly all up to Mother Nature right now.
                Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

What about using the emergency diesel generators to power the ballast pumps? They were in great condition when we preserved them at decom, and we used them for the tow from NOB to Portsmouth drydock with zero issues...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BB61Vet View Post
                    What about using the emergency diesel generators to power the ballast pumps? They were in great condition when we preserved them at decom, and we used them for the tow from NOB to Portsmouth drydock with zero issues...
                    Vet, I think (not sure) but they are not allowed to have power outside of battery for ....well I'll let the man explain. Lets not forget she has been sleeping for sometime now since 1991. I raised the same issue before and it was explained to me so Ill let Rusty.

Comment

True, the old girl's been asleep for a very long time, but with cosmoline preservative, and well-cleaned machines. My bet is ya clean out the preservatives, fuel her up, give 'er a spark and she's good to go.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                        Vet, I think (not sure) but they are not allowed to have power outside of battery for ....well I'll let the man explain. Lets not forget she has been sleeping for sometime now since 1991. I raised the same issue before and it was explained to me so Ill let Rusty.
                        Technically, as far as the ship's machinery goes, our greatest restriction is to not to turn the propellers. We can use the Emergency Diesel Generators, but I think I need to open up water intakes and discharges to run them cool.

I AM NOT GOING TO SEND A DIVER DOWN INTO THAT MUCK CALLED SIUSUN BAY. If you ran a cheese cloth through that water, what remained after draining could probably be used for chemical or biological warheads. Besides, visibility is only about 6-inches. Just bring her up on Google Earth and you will see what I mean.

I need to raise the stern of the ship high enough to safely dry dock her. Otherwise the rudders would hit the dry dock floor first. That would ruin my whole day -- and life.

We can mount our own diesel generators on board and will need to just to run the anchor windlasses -- thanks to Dreadnought who got us a copy of the windlass Tech Manual from the Wisconsin.

Obviously though, I do not want to pump Siusun Bay water into the forward ballast tanks. I'm trying to move as many weight items as I can from aft to forward. But only gained about 3 inches. Aft of amidships there are only 3 tanks to be pumped out. One is a Lube Oil tank and the other is a Diesel Fuel tank that the Coast Guard requires us to pump out. The third tank is the JP-5 tank but it only has about 500 gallons of water in it. There is also another Diesel Fuel tank further forward that needs to be pumped out so the loss of that weight (as minimal as it is) doesn't help raise the stern.

A member of my model train club says he has 1,100 lbs of lead he can give us. But if I put that lead (almost one-half long ton) about 400 feet forward of Amidships, that would give me 440,000 ft POUNDS of lever arm. But it takes 6,600 ft TONNES to trim the ship only ONE INCH. 440,000/2240= @>196 ft tonnes. 196/6600= @0.03". That's only about 1/32 of an inch.

I was reminded of the Myth (originated in a Donald Duck comic book) of raising a boat using only ping pong balls. MythBusters actually did it on their show. But I have to go the other way. So please contact all the bowling alleys you can and we will take their discarded bowling balls and roll them down into the forward storerooms.

Steel toed shoes and hardhats required.

Comment

I can't say how pleased I am to know that Iowa will be preserved and that she's in the hands of men who know her and have the expertise & will to correctly care for her. Rusty, congratulations & thank you for your part in saving for posterity a piece of our national history... especially in this age of declining budgets!

Comment

Originally posted by tmasi View Post
                            I can't say how pleased I am to know that Iowa will be preserved and that she's in the hands of men who know her and have the expertise & will to correctly care for her. Rusty, congratulations & thank you for your part in saving for posterity a piece of our national history... especially in this age of declining budgets!
                            Thank you very much. I hated History classes in High School. But that was because they way they were taught. Who cares when the Battle of Hastings was fought? I was more interested in what they used for armor and weaponry and HOW they made it at that time.

Saving the IOWA is saving history by really showing HOW she was built, WHY she was built and WHAT she did in action.

I received an email from an old friend of mine I worked with in the Design Division of the shipyard for 29 years. It turns out that when he was an apprentice shipfitter back in the old New York Naval Shipyard, he actually worked on BUILDING the IOWA. Needless to say, his name is on my list of VIP's to ride her in the last mile or so to her permanent berth. --- with sledge hammer in hand. Well, at his age maybe we can find one made of styrofoam so he can lift it.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                              Technically, as far as the ship's machinery goes, our greatest restriction is to not to turn the propellers. We can use the Emergency Diesel Generators, but I think I need to open up water intakes and discharges to run them cool.

I AM NOT GOING TO SEND A DIVER DOWN INTO THAT MUCK CALLED SIUSUN BAY. If you ran a cheese cloth through that water, what remained after draining could probably be used for chemical or biological warheads. Besides, visibility is only about 6-inches. Just bring her up on Google Earth and you will see what I mean.

I need to raise the stern of the ship high enough to safely dry dock her. Otherwise the rudders would hit the dry dock floor first. That would ruin my whole day -- and life.

We can mount our own diesel generators on board and will need to just to run the anchor windlasses -- thanks to Dreadnought who got us a copy of the windlass Tech Manual from the Wisconsin.

Obviously though, I do not want to pump Siusun Bay water into the forward ballast tanks. I'm trying to move as many weight items as I can from aft to forward. But only gained about 3 inches. Aft of amidships there are only 3 tanks to be pumped out. One is a Lube Oil tank and the other is a Diesel Fuel tank that the Coast Guard requires us to pump out. The third tank is the JP-5 tank but it only has about 500 gallons of water in it. There is also another Diesel Fuel tank further forward that needs to be pumped out so the loss of that weight (as minimal as it is) doesn't help raise the stern.

A member of my model train club says he has 1,100 lbs of lead he can give us. But if I put that lead (almost one-half long ton) about 400 feet forward of Amidships, that would give me 440,000 ft POUNDS of lever arm. But it takes 6,600 ft TONNES to trim the ship only ONE INCH. 440,000/2240= @>196 ft tonnes. 196/6600= @0.03". That's only about 1/32 of an inch.

I was reminded of the Myth (originated in a Donald Duck comic book) of raising a boat using only ping pong balls. MythBusters actually did it on their show. But I have to go the other way. So please contact all the bowling alleys you can and we will take their discarded bowling balls and roll them down into the forward storerooms.

Steel toed shoes and hardhats required.
                              Mr. L., Im sure the mases have much faith in your efforts and knowledge, and I no doubt, you will succeed in those efforts because of the tireless amount of time you have spent and will spend until she is home.

I would also like to thank those aboard BB-62 New Jersey (The men I know and work with) & BB-64 Wisconsin (One in particular, John E.) that were of great help in helping me help you and the Iowa.

Gentleman, your efforts will bear fruit. If your reading this, your help was and is still greatly appreciated. I hope all is well for you all.

Mr L, dam the drydock and full speed ahead!;)
                              Last edited by Dreadnought; 08 Sep 11,, 15:25.

Comment

Rusty, I'd voulenteer to hold that sledgehammer for him any day and it'd be my honor to do it, not only because that means I'd be on the Lady for her trip, but also because of him, what he did, and who he represents.

(I saw that episode of Mythbusters too, it was cool). Bowling balls eh? Hrm. That'd be an issue involving many hours of loading the damned things. Why not blow in sand and vac it out when it's time to raise her again? Might take a little time, but it'd sure save on the man-hours when a machine can put the sand in and remove it with minimal supervision?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X