Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is a video of the Iowa moving forward for a change, passing under the Vallejo bridge. The person recording this sounds totally amazed at what he is seeing. It is nice to see her moving forward, and at a pretty good clip, of course assisted by the tugs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
      Rusty, for the USA Today video your link takes you to the most recent video that USA posts.

This link will take you directly to the video you are referring to.
      USS IOWA begins journey home to Los Angeles - USATODAY.com Video

Richard Kent tentatively mentioned in another video that family members of those killed in turret 2 will be able to go into the turret. Is there any noticeable damage due to the explosion to the interior of the turret?

For the teak deck refurbishment, will the existing teak need to be removed and replaced? Or is there a way to resurface the teak? When I volunteered to help on the NJ, I had to carry teak planks down to the machine shop. That was a hot sweaty thing to do during the summer with no AC!
      Ahh, there was a slight screw up in sub-titles that got corrected an hour or so later. Kent's name is ROBERT, not Richard.

As for entering Turret II for family members of the deceased, there isn't really much to see of any damage. The crew cleaned it up real well and repainted most of it. Unless you know where to look and FROM where to look, you won't see any damage.

03 & 04 levels have had teak decking installed recently by MARAD. It's in pretty good shape --- being actual Teak. The other decks are Douglas Fir and will be totally replaced. Over time (funding and re-routing of visitor routes controlling the time). In the mean time, we plan to screw down 3/4" Marine Plywood, caulk it and seal it so there are no tripping hazards for either visitors or workers.

Donation of a couple of big truck loads of plywood are welcome. If you are serious and can provide the plywood and or the Teak (Burmese Teak, Brazilian Plantation Teak or Appalacian Black Locust) I have the plans already drawn up so you know how much to send.

No, I'm not kidding. As soon as she got tied up to the pier in Richmond, the physical work starts NOW.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Someone should check to see what the government did with the teak and other woods they seized from Gibson Guitars! I'll bet there is a pile of federal seized exotic woods somewhere!

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
          Most definitely. I have already drawn up a possible layout of the armored communications center on main deck to show what can be done. But it would have to be at the expense of the City/County/State as it would serve THEIR purpose and not ours.

Also we are keeping all living quarters as clean as possible if survivors of an Earthquake need temporary shelter. Our Medical spaces would also be ready for reactivation. That is all allowed by the Navy. The Midway has already set aside such disaster assistance.
          If a disaster like an Earthquake happened, I would hope the Navy would allow the main galley to be activated. From what I have read, museum type ships are permitted to prepare food using the Wardroom galley only.

Comment

• One of the nice things about our museum ship, since the Navy no longer owns her, is there isn't an area of the ship that isn't in regular use! Our Chief Smith is not one to let his galley collect any dust!

Since it is doubtful that there is any chance of the Iowa ever being called to action again, I think over time they will let more and more of the ship be used!
            The veteran crew will have to create and establish the official "Iowa Battleship Burger"!

Comment

• I think Rusty will agree the BB's have different guidelines which they (Iowa) will very soon find out. IMO, from what I have noticed/experienced you may use the facilities (Mess Decks) but not use the ships equipment. It is that was for a reason and by their (USN) rules/guidelines.

IMO, The DD's are already replaceable and have been and no matter who here argues (The usuals) the BB's aren't and thats why for now they have those guidelines.I'm pretty sure that as time moves forward they may/will be lifted but not as of yet nor for the foreseeable future.
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Originally posted by NavyDoc View Post
                The veteran crew will have to create and establish the official "Iowa Battleship Burger"!
                Where will they find minced Japanese or North Korean meat for that?
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                  Where will they find minced Japanese or North Korean meat for that?
                  Their Californians, their "veggies";)

Comment

• Veggie burger made from minced oranges? Hmmm...
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                      I think Rusty will agree the BB's have different guidelines which they (Iowa) will very soon find out. IMO, from what I have noticed/experienced you may use the facilities (Mess Decks) but not use the ships equipment. It is that was for a reason and by their (USN) rules/guidelines.

IMO, The DD's are already replaceable and have been and no matter who here argues (The usuals) the BB's aren't and thats why for now they have those guidelines.I'm pretty sure that as time moves forward they may/will be lifted but not as of yet nor for the foreseeable future.
                      How are meals prepared on New Jersey? Catered in?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                        I think Rusty will agree the BB's have different guidelines which they (Iowa) will very soon find out. IMO, from what I have noticed/experienced you may use the facilities (Mess Decks) but not use the ships equipment. It is that was for a reason and by their (USN) rules/guidelines.

I don't think it will be long before the rules become more lax. Like the other museum ships. They are all 4 off the books. They are not coming back, Its just going to take a bit, typical "Hurry up and wait" before the rules are eased.

Now it will be more about liability (for damages/injury) than reactivation.

Comment

• Actually, on the tow to Richmond we did activate the Wardroom galley and served breakfast; eggs, bacon, pancakes, coffee.

But I already had biscuits and gravy at our hotel. Wish I waited until I got aboard ship. Could have slept an extra half hour and got up at 0530 instead of 0500. Well, it takes me longer to get dressed than younger folks having to put on ankle braces, knee braces, waist belt, over the ankle lace-up boots for ankle support and (most tedious of all) figuring out what to put in which pockets of my Cargo Pants and Cargo Vest leaving my back pack only for cameras and lunch.

Comment

• From what I know over the years the Galley may be catered, that is the use of very certain items (hot plate fixtures etc) however no use of the ships ovens, mixers, kitchen utensils etc. They are not even allowed to use the standard trays. They now must be plastic instead of the original sterilized metal trays. That is what I know from having a good long experience with it including helping serve those meals. As Grape mentioned prior it will change in time to come. Until then it goes by the standard set and preserved when they became "retired". That is the rules from the USN and those orders will be both preserved and followed until the USN dictates other. They have yet to do so.
                            Last edited by Dreadnought; 07 Nov 11,, 04:58.

Comment

• Rusty, just a thought! Taking a tip from rehabers! Those teak planks are pretty thick. What about saving the planks that are not too bad and turning them over and put the weathered side down? I did that with an oak floor and it saved me thousands! But, then you're the architect! Or, you already thought of it!

Comment

• Originally posted by NavyDoc View Post
                                Rusty, just a thought! Taking a tip from rehabers! Those teak planks are pretty thick. What about saving the planks that are not too bad and turning them over and put the weathered side down? I did that with an oak floor and it saved me thousands! But, then you're the architect! Or, you already thought of it!
                                Deck planking is cut a little differently than home style flooring. It also attached differently with bolts. The bolt hole is then filled with a wood plug. So if you turned the plank over, the countersink for the plug would be on the bottom. To countersink on the other side would actually wind up as a hole going all the way through the plank.

Comment

Working...
                                X