U.S. Army May Cut 10 Active-Duty Brigades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transformation of the United States Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This actually a pretty good rundown of the Army Transformation.

Going 2 to 3 battaliosn per BCT aligns the HBCT & IBCT with same structure as an SBCT.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

Albany Rifles,

In the current HBCT structure, the two maneuver battalions are made up of one armored battalion and one mechanized infantry battalion. In practice they operate as combined arms battalions with 2 tank companies and 2 mechanized infantry companies. If the brigade goes to three maneuver battalions, do you think that they will still follow the format of using combined arms battalions or would they go to the older format where some brigades had one armor battalion and two mech infantry battalions and others had two armor battalions and one mech infantry battalion?

Comment

Hmm. That pretty much explains why my copy of this week's Army Times had a little magazine insert called "Military Times EDGE" which had printed, just above it's title banner,
        Ready to jump ship? Maybe it's time to switch services
        and also had a rather interesting article headlined
        Best Employers for Vets - 45 companies that want to hire you

The paper itself didn't mention anything about a RIF, but it did contain an article speaking about 2 year rotations.
        Last edited by BB61Vet; 06 Sep 11,, 05:34. Reason: added info
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HKDan View Post
          Albany Rifles,

In the current HBCT structure, the two maneuver battalions are made up of one armored battalion and one mechanized infantry battalion. In practice they operate as combined arms battalions with 2 tank companies and 2 mechanized infantry companies. If the brigade goes to three maneuver battalions, do you think that they will still follow the format of using combined arms battalions or would they go to the older format where some brigades had one armor battalion and two mech infantry battalions and others had two armor battalions and one mech infantry battalion?
          Actually in the HBCT its 2 rifle companies and 2 tank companies along with a headquarters company in the 2 combined arms maneuver battalions. Its not in practice but in fact their MTOE authorization and organization. Designations of infantry or armor are for lineage and honors purposes only. Since all of the maneuver battalions in the active and NG force have been organized this way for the past several years and it has proved effective I do not see us going to pure mech or tank battalions. Heck we organized that way all the time in the old days. When I was a rifle platoon leader I always eneded up in a tank company team and when I was a rifle company commander I always cross attached to an armor task force.
          Mark Twain

Comment

So we do away with the doctrinal term "task force" at the battalion level? Do the combined-arms battalion commanders still have the authority to task-organize into company "teams" or do the companies fight "pure"? I believe I know the answer but want to read it from the SME.
            "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

(Looking around for SMEs.....sees none)

Yes, they still create company/teams. And a BCT commander can task organize across his brigade anyway he wants.

Also there are assets from the various support brigades pushed down fo rthe use of the BCT.

What has been interesting to watch is the 2d HBCT, 1 AD FT Bliss the last 8 months. They are working out new doctrine and connectivity for the Army.

There you have a unit which has MRAPs, Stykers, M1s and M2s all mixed together...makes it fun to be a logisitician!
              Mark Twain

Comment

Let me guess.They'll use those interchangeably.

Any text on the new doctrine,Sir? I'm sure the Tradoc boys have something.
                Those who know don't speak
                He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Nothing that is yet open source...everything i have said is MAGINT...in other words in the open press.
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                    (Looking around for SMEs.....sees none)

Yes, they still create company/teams. And a BCT commander can task organize across his brigade anyway he wants.

Also there are assets from the various support brigades pushed down fo rthe use of the BCT.

What has been interesting to watch is the 2d HBCT, 1 AD FT Bliss the last 8 months. They are working out new doctrine and connectivity for the Army.

There you have a unit which has MRAPs, Stykers, M1s and M2s all mixed together...makes it fun to be a logisitician!
                    "Fun"!!!!!! Hmmmm, try "unending nightmare" in place of that word and you are on the money. Golf Company 4-27FA (The FSC) sure got their work cut out for them maintenance wise with all the gear they are suporting right now.

Here is an interesting article on the part 4-27 FA are playing in the "Fun" stuff goin on down in Ft Bliss/WSMR area. I think I might have linked to this before ellsewhere but cant quite remember.

http://www.ausa.org/publications/arm...rley1_0711.pdf

Regards

Arty
                    "Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations".- Motto of the Gun Crew who have just done something incredibly stupid!!!!

Comment

Albany Rifles,

Ah! The light goes on! Now I get it. The Armor and Infantry designations are just for lineage. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X