Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 352

Thread: The Vatican and NASA

  1. #31
    Senior Contributor Doktor's Avatar
    Join Date
    25 Aug 08
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    13,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    No, according to physics. There's a reason why we use radio instead of ultraviolet or infrared.
    Shouldn't be the same logic why we use optics for faster communication these days, right? Let us advance a bit more and we wont need fiber
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

    To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

  2. #32
    Senior Contributor DOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Mar 11
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    Here is the math. Like an ant colony, an alien civilization would have to know we're here before they could visit us. We would never visit an ant colony that we don't know if its there. So, the first signal we've sent was in the 1820s. A weak as hell signal but consider for the moment that an alien civilization could actually detect it. That means that any civilization that could detect us has to be within 200 light years.

    Assuming that the aliens are like us, sending signals into space for their own purposes and they are superior to us, that means that they would have been sending signals into space a lot longer than we have. We've found no intelligent signals within 200 light years of us
    I guess I'm missing the point about why they need to be within a 200 light year distance for us to hear them. Certainly, if they were further away but started earlier there might be a chance. But, I see no possibility of us responding, which means they may just assume there's no one home.

    Or, they've misdialed.

  3. #33
    Officer of Engineers
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DOR View Post
    I guess I'm missing the point about why they need to be within a 200 light year distance for us to hear them.
    They can't find us if they don't about us and they would not know about us until they can hear from us and hence, the first radio signal has travelled two hundred light years and only those civilizations within that distance could have heard us.

    Let me put it another way. If we hear from another civilization today, they would have sent that message 100 years ago.

  4. #34
    Field mechanik Senior Contributor omon's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 06
    Location
    bk
    Posts
    3,607
    they might have known about us, for thousands or millions of years.
    our radio signals to them might just be as unknown\useless as scent signals of ants to us.
    i think the way we see\understand universe is really only a tiny part of what it really is.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

  5. #35
    Officer of Engineers
    Guest
    That puts the aliens in the category that they were always here and raises a whole new set of questions that has nothing to do with first contact.

  6. #36
    Senior Contributor DOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Mar 11
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    They can't find us if they don't about us and they would not know about us until they can hear from us and hence, the first radio signal has travelled two hundred light years and only those civilizations within that distance could have heard us.

    Let me put it another way. If we hear from another civilization today, they would have sent that message 100 years ago.

    A radar sweep is very good at finding something even if (especially if) you don't know it is there. Someone based 5,000 light-years away with the technology to identify intelligently created patterns through changes to some aspect of physics we haven’t thought of yet might be able to realize that we’re here. Sort of like how we “see” millions of light-years by measuring colors, gravitational changes and so forth.

    Another question, related to omon’s thought is that they might not recognize us as intelligent, or they might not care. Maybe knowledge of our existence would threaten their world view.

  7. #37
    Officer of Engineers
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DOR View Post
    A radar sweep is very good at finding something even if (especially if) you don't know it is there. Someone based 5,000 light-years away with the technology to identify intelligently created patterns through changes to some aspect of physics we haven’t thought of yet might be able to realize that we’re here. Sort of like how we “see” millions of light-years by measuring colors, gravitational changes and so forth.
    That's the point. For a civilization 5000 light years away, they won't see this intelligent created pattern for another 4800 years.

  8. #38
    tankie Military Professional tankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Nov 06
    Location
    Darlington UK
    Posts
    14,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    That's the point. For a civilization 5000 light years away, they won't see this intelligent created pattern for another 4800 years.

    Perhaps Col they were here long ago and seeded the planet , the universe is billions of years old and we maybe playing catchup , and they are living a lot closer than is thought
    Last edited by tankie; 30 Aug 11, at 19:52.


    Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being REAL gets you hated.

  9. #39
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    5,970
    Quote Originally Posted by tankie View Post
    I firmly believe they are here and have been for millennia IMO .
    Why ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tankie View Post
    Perhaps Col they were here long ago and seeded the planet , the universe is billions of years old and we maybe playing catchup , and they are living a lot closer than is thought
    Do you think its not possible for life to evolve by itself here on earth in the right conditions without external input. That to me seems like a better chance than arriving from space at the right time and the right place in the right conditions.

    You know all about targetting, imagine the huge expanse of space and being able to hit a target from very very far
    Last edited by Double Edge; 30 Aug 11, at 20:59.

  10. #40
    tankie Military Professional tankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Nov 06
    Location
    Darlington UK
    Posts
    14,644
    For the evidence that's been collected DE , the cover ups , the ongoing sightings , and if as Col says ref radio distance , they must have been here for a very long time , IMO

    Yes of course life cud have evolved here with no help , on the other hand it may not have , do you accept that that could be true .

    Ref targets , imagine tech billions of years far in advance as us near earth bound creatures
    Last edited by tankie; 31 Aug 11, at 00:35.


    Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being REAL gets you hated.

  11. #41
    tankie Military Professional tankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Nov 06
    Location
    Darlington UK
    Posts
    14,644


    Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being REAL gets you hated.

  12. #42
    Senior Contributor Doktor's Avatar
    Join Date
    25 Aug 08
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    13,668
    The amateur photography evolved so much in the last two decades, yet whenever there is a photo of UFO they are very blurred.

    Ah, the AF snapped on the buildings, that's why
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

    To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

  13. #43
    tankie Military Professional tankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Nov 06
    Location
    Darlington UK
    Posts
    14,644
    Yes the enhanced pic is blurry ,but aint that bad


    Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being REAL gets you hated.

  14. #44
    Canadian again at last! Military Professional
    Join Date
    17 May 05
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    1,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    That's the point. For a civilization 5000 light years away, they won't see this intelligent created pattern for another 4800 years.
    So you assume that the laws of physics as we know it are %100 correct?

    I think we will travel faster than light some day as an example. Even if it means folding or warping space as some theories suggest.

  15. #45
    Officer of Engineers
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Repatriated Canuck View Post
    So you assume that the laws of physics as we know it are %100 correct?

    I think we will travel faster than light some day as an example. Even if it means folding or warping space as some theories suggest.
    Maybe. Maybe not but for any civilization to acquire FTL technologies, they must at some point passed through the same period as we do, ie planet bound and the only way to contact anyone using what we know is the fill the skies with radio garbage.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Vatican to beatify John Paul II
    By tantalus in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15 Jan 11,, 15:30
  2. Vatican responds to sex abuse accusations
    By Bigfella in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06 Oct 09,, 16:23
  3. Vatican Deplores Gaza Situation
    By Kernow in forum The Middle East and North Africa
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08 Jan 09,, 03:22
  4. Vatican urged to halt beatification
    By troung in forum International Economy
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10 Nov 06,, 01:19
  5. Vatican's Ambassador to Burudi Killed
    By Leader in forum The Middle East and North Africa
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29 Dec 03,, 21:57

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •