The Vatican and NASA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    No, according to physics. There's a reason why we use radio instead of ultraviolet or infrared.
    Shouldn't be the same logic why we use optics for faster communication these days, right? Let us advance a bit more and we wont need fiber ;)
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Here is the math. Like an ant colony, an alien civilization would have to know we're here before they could visit us. We would never visit an ant colony that we don't know if its there. So, the first signal we've sent was in the 1820s. A weak as hell signal but consider for the moment that an alien civilization could actually detect it. That means that any civilization that could detect us has to be within 200 light years.

Assuming that the aliens are like us, sending signals into space for their own purposes and they are superior to us, that means that they would have been sending signals into space a lot longer than we have. We've found no intelligent signals within 200 light years of us
      I guess I'm missing the point about why they need to be within a 200 light year distance for us to hear them. Certainly, if they were further away but started earlier there might be a chance. But, I see no possibility of us responding, which means they may just assume there's no one home.

Or, they've misdialed.
      Trust me?
      I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
        I guess I'm missing the point about why they need to be within a 200 light year distance for us to hear them.
        They can't find us if they don't about us and they would not know about us until they can hear from us and hence, the first radio signal has travelled two hundred light years and only those civilizations within that distance could have heard us.

Let me put it another way. If we hear from another civilization today, they would have sent that message 100 years ago.

Comment

they might have known about us, for thousands or millions of years.
          our radio signals to them might just be as unknown\useless as scent signals of ants to us.
          i think the way we see\understand universe is really only a tiny part of what it really is.
          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

That puts the aliens in the category that they were always here and raises a whole new set of questions that has nothing to do with first contact.

Comment

They can't find us if they don't about us and they would not know about us until they can hear from us and hence, the first radio signal has travelled two hundred light years and only those civilizations within that distance could have heard us.

Let me put it another way. If we hear from another civilization today, they would have sent that message 100 years ago.

A radar sweep is very good at finding something even if (especially if) you don't know it is there. Someone based 5,000 light-years away with the technology to identify intelligently created patterns through changes to some aspect of physics we haven’t thought of yet might be able to realize that we’re here. Sort of like how we “see” millions of light-years by measuring colors, gravitational changes and so forth.

Another question, related to omon’s thought is that they might not recognize us as intelligent, or they might not care. Maybe knowledge of our existence would threaten their world view.
              Trust me?
              I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
                A radar sweep is very good at finding something even if (especially if) you don't know it is there. Someone based 5,000 light-years away with the technology to identify intelligently created patterns through changes to some aspect of physics we haven’t thought of yet might be able to realize that we’re here. Sort of like how we “see” millions of light-years by measuring colors, gravitational changes and so forth.
                That's the point. For a civilization 5000 light years away, they won't see this intelligent created pattern for another 4800 years.

Comment

That's the point. For a civilization 5000 light years away, they won't see this intelligent created pattern for another 4800 years.

Perhaps Col they were here long ago and seeded the planet , the universe is billions of years old and we maybe playing catchup , and they are living a lot closer than is thought ;)
                  Last edited by tankie; 30 Aug 11,, 19:52.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                    I firmly believe they are here and have been for millennia IMO .
                    Why ?

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                    Perhaps Col they were here long ago and seeded the planet , the universe is billions of years old and we maybe playing catchup , and they are living a lot closer than is thought ;)
                    Do you think its not possible for life to evolve by itself here on earth in the right conditions without external input. That to me seems like a better chance than arriving from space at the right time and the right place in the right conditions.

You know all about targetting, imagine the huge expanse of space and being able to hit a target from very very far :)
                    Last edited by Double Edge; 30 Aug 11,, 20:59.

Comment

For the evidence that's been collected DE , the cover ups , the ongoing sightings , and if as Col says ref radio distance , they must have been here for a very long time , IMO ;)

Yes of course life cud have evolved here with no help , on the other hand it may not have , do you accept that that could be true .

Ref targets , imagine tech billions of years far in advance as us near earth bound creatures :)
                      Last edited by tankie; 31 Aug 11,, 00:35.

Comment

Faked or not ????????

UFO photographed in broad daylight in Seoul | Asian Correspondent

Comment

The amateur photography evolved so much in the last two decades, yet whenever there is a photo of UFO they are very blurred.

Ah, the AF snapped on the buildings, that's why :)
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Yes the enhanced pic is blurry ,but aint that bad ;)

Comment

So you assume that the laws of physics as we know it are %100 correct?

I think we will travel faster than light some day as an example. Even if it means folding or warping space as some theories suggest.
                              Originally posted by GVChamp
                              College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Repatriated Canuck View Post
                                So you assume that the laws of physics as we know it are %100 correct?

I think we will travel faster than light some day as an example. Even if it means folding or warping space as some theories suggest.
                                Maybe. Maybe not but for any civilization to acquire FTL technologies, they must at some point passed through the same period as we do, ie planet bound and the only way to contact anyone using what we know is the fill the skies with radio garbage.

Comment

Working...
                                X