Thread: Serbia-the autopsy report

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Serbia-the autopsy report

I have realized, just recently, that I actually never touched this subject. Today, the German chancellor Angela Merkel made her visit to Belgrade in effort to tackle the crisis in the northern Kosovo, that lasts for about a month now. The development of the events points only in one direction, towards another flow of Serbian refuges from Kosovo, this time 65.000 of them before it gets colder, meaning in September or October since the weather conditions are in favor. No doubt that, if it happens, this event will most likely change the political scene in Serbia, leading to the rise of extreme right and from that point on things can get pretty ugly. So, before it starts, I will go trough the autopsy of Serbia since it is pretty much an living dead now and it won't mind. I will try to be precise as much as I can in my analysis of the Serbian undead corpse. If you have the strong stomach for spelling and grammar errors, I invite you to watch the Versus autopsy class.

So let us begin, shall we...
    Last edited by Versus; 23 Aug 11, at 22:12.

I am translating the final pieces so I will give now the general outline of the analysis.

Table of content:
    1. Introduction
    2. History of the conflict
    3. Tensions
    4. Insurgency
    5. Operation “Allied Force”
    6. Aftermath
    7. Borderline insurgency
    8. Milosevic's demise
    9. Assassination
    10. Kristallnacht, march 2004
    11. The rise of ultra nationalists
    12. Stalemate
    13. Negotiations
    14. Northern crisis
    15. Conclusion

The incidents.

Negotiations between Belgrade and Pristina (Serbian and Kosovo capital cities) started in Brussels, on March 8 2011 as a part of the efforts to normalize regional relationships and over all push toward Serbian EU membership. After initial weak results, two delegations started to find common ground in the middle of process and than on the third round, negotiations went into a stall. The issue at hand was the freedom of movement between Kosovo and Serbia and the usage of customs stamps. Since the Pristina requested that the people and goods can travel in and out from Kosovo only with the passports and official state issued Kosovo seals the Serbian delegation found this to be unacceptable since by accepting the Kosovo customs stamps as official, it would have to accept the Kosovo as an independent state. Also the Kosovo delegation stated that the freedom of movement can be done only on the reciprocity basis, meaning that the quantity of goods that Kosovo imports form Serbia has to match the quantity of goods that Kosovo exports to Serbia. Actually the whole point of Kosovo stance in these negotiations is that Serbia has to deal with Kosovo on the basis of reciprocity. But since Serbia doesn't recognize Kosovo as an independent state it can't deal with it on the reciprocity basis. This stalemate lead to escalation. Kosovo imposed economic embargo on all goods from Serbia and sent the ROSU (Regional Operations Support Unit) or Kosovo Police Special unit to secure the northern borderline crossing in order to secure Pristina's decision.
    The northern part of Kosovo is mostly populated by Serbs whom self organized and placed roadblocks. When the ROSU came, tensions erupted and firefight broke out. The clash lasted for couple of hours, officially leaving three Kosovo Serbs wounded and one ROSU officer dead, shoot in the head by a sniper. KFOR reacted by sending forces to secure the region, remove the roadblocks and try to ease the tensions. This incident sent the shock waves both in Pristina and Belgrade and two parties started accusing each other for provoking it. The KFOR requested additional reinforcements from NATO. Than the second incident happened. On July 29. around 7 pm a group of young men started to rally and soon riots broke out, burning the border crossings buildings and vehicles. After the rioting ended, the young men left the scene and the KFOR authorized the usage of lethal force. I have no information for the order, did it came during the rioting or soon after, but probably during the rioting. Belgrade police offered assistance to the EULEX (the EU police force in Kosovo) by pointing at the Serbian criminal structures in the northern part of Kosovo as the main source of the incidents.
    Currently the investigation is underway, the EULEX has the names of the suspects and efforts are made to bring them into the custody. Meanwhile NATO forces are in negotiations with the northern Kosovo Serbs in effort to remove roadblocks and stabilize the situation. So far, the roadblocks are removed and Kosovo Serbs are cooperative with the KFOR. But another possible hot spot emerged, on the bridge construction site that is being funded by the Kosovo govt, near the village of Priluzje, which is populated entirely with Serbs.

The new round of negotiations between Belgrade and Pristina is scheduled for September if the situation doesn't escalate.
    Last edited by Versus; 24 Aug 11, at 00:07.

Versus, I think you jumped 2 decades, demonstrations in Pristina in the early '80s, wars in Slovenia, Croatia and B&H...
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor View Post
    Versus, I think you jumped 2 decades, demonstrations in Pristina in the early '80s, wars in Slovenia, Croatia and B&H...
    This is the current situation. I will continue tomorrow since it is 1 am here, I need to go to bed. Don't worry everything will be included, I've fixed the title. Introduction will come tomorrow. Two decades? The conflict started in 1920 my good Doktor.
    Last edited by Versus; 24 Aug 11, at 00:09.

I am waiting. Always wanted to hear it from a calm Serb's perspective.

1920? I thought the Battle for Kosovo was earlier.

Sir, they were pretty quiet till '70s
    Last edited by Doktor; 24 Aug 11, at 00:14.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Thread Information