• Show
Clear All

• M theory: The theory of everything.

Opinions?

Mine?

BIZARRE.

riiiiiiight

Comment

I take it you're not acquainted with M theory.

Comment

It's an evolution of string theories and supersymmetry. It's promising in that it may unite GR, QM, QED, and QCD under a single framework. If it's successful, it will be able to describe the condition of the universe at the instant of the big bang, and provide an explanation for the 4 forces and all of the natural constants. Since it's a string theory, it eliminates the annoying infinities associated with QM and point particles. There's still the problem of the missing 7 dimensions, but hey, nobody's perfect.
        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Actually, M theory already did that.

Work in the M theory field is progressing EXTREMELY QUICKLY. They've acknowledged the existence of 11 dimensions, and believe that the weakness of gravity(remember the 11th dimension is super gravity) is because gravity only trickles through to our dimensions, it is not created here. They now state there are an infinite number of membranes existing in the 11th dimension, and that the big bang was caused by a ripple from a collision by two or more universes in the 11th dimension. They state that there are an infinite number of parallell universes, and that they believe that science will soon be able to create a universe of their own.

These characters have traced back PAST the big bang already. They state the reason physics break down as you approach the big bang is because all universes have differing laws of physics, and that physics is not a constant.

The M theory has also succesfully UNIFIED all five competing string theories into one.

Now they want to create an entire UNIVERSE in a laboratory.

I just saw a show on this on Discovery Science about 4 hours ago, with a bunch of the world acclaimed top cosmologists working on M theory. They claim they've all but validated it already.

LOL, f'in eggheads....
          Last edited by Bill; 02 Jun 05,, 01:15.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
            I just saw a show on this on Discovery Science about 4 hours ago
            I sat here and watched the same show. Quite interesting. Fit my ideas of God and creation as well.
            No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
            I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
            even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
            He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
              I sat here and watched the same show. Quite interesting. Fit my ideas of God and creation as well.
              Damn, wish I'd seen it, do you remember what it was called?
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka
                Damn, wish I'd seen it, do you remember what it was called?
                "Parallel Universes"
                I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
                  "Parallel Universes"
                  :)
                  In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

what is M theory?

We changed!!

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                      LOL, f'in eggheads....
                      Haha, not to be finicky, but there is a reason tha Standard Model is still called the Standard Model.

M theory is still an evolution of Supersymmetry, which is an evolution of the earlier string theories. While the theory can postulate an 11 dimensional universe (adding one dimension to Supersymmetry through some sleight of hand), it's very difficult to prove, since 7 of those 11 dimensions are forever out of reach. If we were to access even one of them, it would change all of the laws of physics- the universe as we know it would cease to exist.

"These characters have traced back PAST the big bang already."

This is something that can never be done, imo, simply because before the big bang, there was only one thing. There was only one law of physics, there was only one force, etc. Matter hadn't been invented yet- there was no gravity, because there was no spacetime. No nuclear forces and no electromagnetism, because there were no atoms. The universe was perfectly symmetrical in all ways, which is where the theory got it's name. The BB was the first "symmetry breaking", and gravity was invented. In the next few moments, there were three more symmetry breakings, which created the strong nuclear force, the weak nuclear force, and electromagnetism, in that order. Everything else is history.

"...and believe that the weakness of gravity(remember the 11th dimension is super gravity) is because gravity only trickles through to our dimensions, it is not created here. They now state there are an infinite number of membranes existing in the 11th dimension, and that the big bang was caused by a ripple from a collision by two or more universes in the 11th dimension. "

I guess I will have to try to watch the show. Lol, PBS. Supergravity is term for the string theory that consists of Supersymmetry plus Gravity. Gravity as we understand it is not a dimension, it's an interaction, but I won't go into that.

"The M theory has also succesfully UNIFIED all five competing string theories into one."

What String Theorists have discovered is that what they thought were separate theories, were actually just different ways of looking at the same theory. M Theory is the name given to the fundamental underlying string theory. For the theory to be successful, it not only has to predict all the universal constants- planck's constant, the ratio of the proton to the electron, the ratio of hydrogen to helium, the speed of light, the gravitational constant, etc., but it has to explain why these values are what they are instead of some other value.

I think string theory is the best chance we have of reaching the "Holy Grail" of physics, the GUT, but I doubt it will ever describe conditions before the big bang (such as the conditions of a previous universe), or allow us to create universes, or see into any parallel universes.

Lol, f'in eggheads...now you got me digging into this sh*t again...
                      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by highsea
                        I guess I will have to try to watch the show.
                        You should, but it seems you allready know about as much as they had time to cover. ;)

Comment

The same show was shown on the BBC as a part of the 'Space and Time' season.

The seventh dimension riddle has been solved. But the startling thing is, as you try and unravel the qualities of super massive black holes, the laws of physics just dont seem to apply anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Karthik
                            ...The seventh dimension riddle has been solved.
                            Yes, solved in the same manner as re-normalization solves the infinities in QM. IOW, we just roll the unwanted dimensions up into a very tiny ball and ignore them... This is not a solution until the theory can explain why these dimensions are rolled up, and why it was these particular dimensions and not some other ones. It also has to explain what these missing dimensions are.

Right now the theory has not even been properly defined, let alone the math to explain it developed. It has not made a single testable prediction, or adequately explained the strong nuclear force.

GR makes testable predictions, that can be checked and rechecked. The same goes for QM, QCD, and QED. This is what gives them their power. The only problem is that they are unable to unify into a single quantum theory. String theories are quantum theories of gravity, but until QCD (the theory of the strong force) is rationalized under SUSY, it is not a complete theory.

Comment

You should really check out that show Highsea...upon acknowledging the 11th dimension all of their mathematical formulas suddenly fit.

They claim now that it all makes sense.

Seriously...

Comment

Working...
                              X