Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multifocal terror attack hits south of Israel

Multifocal terror attack hits south

Terrorists launch several terror attacks against Israeli targets, IDF forces in south. Over a dozen people injured. MDA declares mass casualty event; roads to Eilat and Ovda Airfield closed

Ahuva Mamus
    Published: 08.18.11, 12:24 / Israel News

Terrorists launched a multifocal terror attack on Israel's south on Thursday, injuring over two dozen people.

In the first incident, Egged bus number 392, traveling from Beersheba to the southern resort city of Eilat was ambushed. Eleven people were wounded in the attack, which took place on Highway 12, about 30km north of Eilat, near the Ein Netafim junction.

Security forces, as well as Magen David Adom emergency services' teams, were immediately dispatched to the scene. The injured were triaged on site and rushed to the Yoseftal Medical Center in Eilat.

Soon after that a second incident was reported involving yet another shooting on a bus and a private vehicle traveling south. Five people reportedly suffered mortal wounds in the attack.

A third incident was reported at around 1pm, involving multiple roadside bombs and rocket fire at IDF forces patrolling the Israel Egypt border fence.

According to the IDF Spokesperson’s Unit, soldiers were among the wounded in these incidents. IDF Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen Benny Gantz and Southern Command Chief Major-General Tal Russo are en route to Eilat.

All of the roads leading to Eilat have been closed. Security forces are currently canvassing the area in search of suspects. IDF aircrafts are assisting in the search, as well as extensive Counter-Terror Unit forces.

Heavy security forces presence is noted in the area. The Eilat Police have ordered an emergency deployment in the area, and a situation room has been set up at the Yoseftal Hospital, which has declared a mass casualty event.

Defense establishment sources said that the fire originated from the Egyptian side of the border. Egyptian security forces have been alerted and are reportedly conducting a simultaneous manhunt.

The Ovda Airfield has been closed to all flights. Eilat's airport has been placed on alert.

Reuters and Hanan Greenberg contributed to this report
    I can't even begin to describe how mad I am! It's bad enough that there is a coordinated triple attack on Israeli citizens and civilians nowhere near disputed territories, but the fact that fire is coming in from Egypt bodes ill for what used to be a strong and firm alliance.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

I feel sorry for the civilian losses.

Don't you think your guys are bit too itchy? Planes in search for insurgents, pardon terrorists?

As for Egypt there have been doubts what course new Egyptian regime would take towards Israel, tho they said they will respect all the treaties.

Egypt harboring terrorists or someone sneaked from there?
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

from CNN article about the attacks

Across the border, the Egyptian army and police are cracking down in an "anti-terror" operation in the Sinai area of Egypt, state-owned media reported on Tuesday, as reports emerge of Osama bin Laden's doctor surfacing in the area.
      Police said they found hand grenades, machine guns, rocket-propelled grenades and ammunition in the operation that targets Sinai "terror cells" suspected in attacks on a gas pipeline to Israel and a police station in the border town of el-Arish.

One person was killed and 12 were arrested on Monday, the first day of the operation, said Hazem al-Maadawi, a police officer involved in the offensive.
      Netanyahu told a Knesset committee recently that Egypt was having difficulty exercising its sovereignty over Sinai.
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I hope this is not state sponsored - it doesn't sound like it. All my sympathy to the victims.
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

I feel sorry for the vitims and my full respect goes to them but the Isrealis should take a new look at their alliances. They can win fights but can they beat whole nations acctually uniting and fighting them on all fronts. This may be a little off topic but I think the USA should send more forces into Isreal to act as more of a border patrol like we do with South Korea. Our SEALS are trained by their mousaad but they still need the USA to help them in times of need, and I think that this strikes a larger debate on whether or not the USA, while pulling out of Iraq and Afganistan, should pull into Isreal to aid them. We have troops there, why not put them somewhere else useful to defend our allies?

Comment

Working...
          X