Jersey stabbings: Six die in knife attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jersey stabbings: Six die in knife attack

(BBC) Six people, including three children, have been killed in a knife attack on the usually peaceful island of Jersey.

Police say a man, two women and the children were attacked at a flat in a secluded part of the capital, St Helier, on Sunday afternoon.

A 30-year-old man, who had emergency surgery after the attack, has been arrested in connection with the deaths.

Police have not named the dead but say they lived in Jersey. Witnesses believe they were all related.

Officers were called to Upper Midvale Road at 15:00 BST on Sunday after reports of an incident at a flat in Victoria Crescent, which spilled outside on to the street.

Forensic officers have been examining the scene as police interview a number of witnesses to try to identify the victims.

Meanwhile, they are holding the suspect in police custody at Jersey General Hospital where he is recovering from surgery.

'Complex investigation'
    States of Jersey Police head of crime services Stewart Gull, who is leading the inquiry, said: "Clearly this complex investigation is in its very early stages as we try to establish exactly what happened.

"We are mindful, too, of the impact of any such serious and tragic incident on the local community, and we have police officers in the area to support the investigation and local people."

Mr Gull, who led the inquiry into the murder of five Ipswich women in 2006, admitted he was shaken by the Jersey incident and said it had been "pretty traumatic" for emergency services staff called to the scene.

"Dealing with multiple deaths of men, women and particularly young children, it has shaken the force but the officers who initially responded were tremendously professional," he said.

"Jersey is an incredibly safe island, probably one of the safest places in the western world. Incidents of this nature are an extremely rare occurrence."

He added that he was unable to confirm the victims' nationalities, speculate as to their relationship with each other or give the ages of the children.

A major incident room has been set up and police are appealing for anyone with information to contact them.

Some residents were unable to return to their homes while the crime scene was cordoned off.

Authorities, however, opened the town hall and a residential home to give them somewhere to stay.

Witness Andre Thorpe said he thought all the victims were members of the same family.

He said: "Two ambulances turned up first because it was within a quarter of mile of the ambulance station. Then four or five police vehicles came

"They were trying to access a private house in the crescent. It was an old Victorian terrace, a lot of them are split into flats."

Mr Thorpe added the area where the incident happened was quite secluded.

"I was first aware something was happening when I saw people looking out for the ambulances as I walked up the road," he said.

Another unnamed neighbour reported hearing children screaming.

"It was not like a playful scream - they were really screaming," he said.

Jersey General Hospital's emergency department was temporarily closed to all non-urgent cases as staff treated the victims.

----

Seriously WTF is wrong with the world?
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

IMO, Political correctness and the outright lack of foward sight by law makers that cannot see how their descions are behind times and unflexible in a changing world where there is less fear in breaking laws when they are overly hesitant to execute the guilty and would rather keep them as pets at taxpayer expense in prison or hospitals.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I somehow agree with you.

Remember that I spoke with one kid (friend's cousin) who was troublemaker to chill a bit and to settle his life (he was 19 then) or else he will end in prison.

The response was fantastic "Prisons are for people, too". He is in prison now knocking the wall with his head (sometimes helped by the seniors).

IMO, today people do not understand the consequences of their actions.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Horrible, RIP to the victims, all my sympathy to their family and loved ones.

I hope the perp gets a nasty infection and dies slowly.
        It sounds like the details of what happened aren't very clear yet - what a tragedy for a peaceful little island like that.
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Apparently some Polish man...

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
            Apparently some Polish man...

A 30-year-old Polish man, named locally as Damian Rzeszowski, was arrested over the deaths. His wife Izabela Rzeszowski, two children and father-in-law are thought to be among those killed. The other two people killed in the attack on Sunday are believed to be another woman and her child who were visiting Mrs Rzeszowski.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post

IMO, Political correctness and the outright lack of foward sight by law makers that cannot see how their descions are behind times and unflexible in a changing world where there is less fear in breaking laws when they are overly hesitant to execute the guilty and would rather keep them as pets at taxpayer expense in prison or hospitals.

Wow DN, you just launch into some bizarre attack on 'political correctness' off this story? Not a word for the victims? WTF??? You think the death penalty would have made a difference? You think this guy would have thought 'hmmm, best not stab all my family to death, they might fry me?'. All that is missing here is something about gun laws & you have the worst post ever. This might come as a shock to you in peaceful America with its close to zero rates of murder, but people have been offing their families for a while now. I'll bet it even happens in execution-happy America. Rather then hopping on the soapbox & spouting some innapropriate tripe, hows about a few moments for a family destroyed by what can only be described as an act of madness? This is a tragedy of the worst sort. Spare us the lecture on crime & punishment.
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                Wow DN, you just launch into some bizarre attack on 'political correctness' off this story? Not a word for the victims? WTF??? You think the death penalty would have made a difference? You think this guy would have thought 'hmmm, best not stab all my family to death, they might fry me?'. All that is missing here is something about gun laws & you have the worst post ever. This might come as a shock to you in peaceful America with its close to zero rates of murder, but people have been offing their families for a while now. I'll bet it even happens in execution-happy America. Rather then hopping on the soapbox & spouting some innapropriate tripe, hows about a few moments for a family destroyed by what can only be described as an act of madness? This is a tragedy of the worst sort. Spare us the lecture on crime & punishment.
                It always very sobering when one reads of such actions towards the innocent civilian idiots like these attack. I do however still stand by my political correctness statement. I do no soapbox hopping I have always felt compelled that the normal punishment for these types never suite the actual crime.

Zero counts of murder? Maybe you should read more then. In the three towns I frequent alone and often have all been listed as some of the worst for crime, especially murder. One of those three towns alone took "Murder Capital" of the US in the last few years. Outside of New York and Detroit thats really saying something compared to them. Its normally a youth that gets shot and killed by drive by, or playing on a basketball court or a child just playing on the street or just sitting in a home and killed by a stray bullet. So instead of trying to paint me as someone who cares not for the victims, maybe you should read more and understand these are every day events here.

Do I feel sorry for them? No doubt I do and I really do especially every time I read or turn on the afternoon or evening news it in which not a day passes were there is atleast one killed in one of those three cities and sometimes and not rarely atleast one in each every dam day if not more then one.

How will that change things if politics refuses to amend their methods of control of such animals and they walk in few short years or due to some dumb ass technicality in which they often do. Hell some even walk right out of prison because someone made a "mistake". And then they turn around and do it again. Yeah, they get caught but its already too late for the victims when it could have been prevented before hand.

I'll even help you. Chester Pa, Philadelphia Pa. and Camden NJ. Go look at them on any given day and atleast someone ends up shot and more times then not dead and many times more then just one and in different locations no less. They are in the news every single night.

Especially in the lower income neighborhoods which all of the cities listed above posess and with Police and Fire layoff due to the economy it has gotten even worse in some cases with arson and gang related crimes which normally end up in a shooting or even death.

I merely replied to Doktors posted comment below the article.

So before you pass judgement upon me for not caring perhaps maybe just MAYBE you would think more before stating that America has almost zero counts of murder and that I am "soap boxing". There are many that would laugh in your face for such a statement. Including me!
                Last edited by Dreadnought; 16 Aug 11,, 00:27.

Comment

In the US
                  Chester Pa. ranks at number 2.
                  Camden NJ. ranks at number 6.
                  And Philadelphia for how big a city it is (much larger then either above) somehow got ranked at number 45.

The list is right here:Top 100 most dangerous places to live in the USA - NeighborhoodScout
                  Last edited by Dreadnought; 16 Aug 11,, 00:47.

Comment

Detroit @ #14? Huh

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                      Detroit @ #14? Huh
                      Yes, not that I would wish being on that list upon any city. I very much like where I live but sometimes the reality of crimes like these really sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                        It always very sobering when one reads of such actions towards the innocent civilian idiots like these attack. I do however still stand by my political correctness statement. I do no soapbox hopping I have always felt compelled that the normal punishment for these types never suite the actual crime.
                        I have to agree with Bigfella, your rant was in bad taste, political correctness played no part in this tragedy

Zero counts of murder? Maybe you should read more then.
                        He was being sarcastic

Comment

Shocking state of affairs , the Polish man tried to stab himself to death , he is in a bad way but docs say he will pull through and he is under hospital arrest ,,this can only be the actions of a deranged person .It always seems to hit harder when kids are involved

Tragic

RIP .

Comment

^ The island's home affairs minister, said he believes the murders are the first killings since 2004. To murder children is to me incomprehensible so whatever happened in those dreadful minutes could not be the work of a sane person.

Comment

Originally posted by redco View Post
                              I have to agree with Bigfella, your rant was in bad taste, political correctness played no part in this tragedy

He was being sarcastic
                              Yes, I think I pretty much figured that out once he wrote it thanks for the newsflash sherlock.

Comment

Working...
                              X