Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for images: Royal Navy, late 19th

Hello folks

I'm looking for colour images of late 19th century (1870 onwards) RN ships. I need to know what paint schemes they used. So far, I only found either b&w photos, or colors of WWI, by which time they had switched to grey. Any sources?

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
    Hello folks

I'm looking for colour images of late 19th century (1870 onwards) RN ships. I need to know what paint schemes they used. So far, I only found either b&w photos, or colors of WWI, by which time they had switched to grey. Any sources?
    Black hull, white superstructure and yellow ochre stacks
    Attached Files
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Attached Files
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.

Comment

Thanks a lot, folks :)

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

All the chimneys are yellow but on the image niobe1 (3rd pic, msg #5) where they are red. Why the color change?
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                All the chimneys are yellow but on the image niobe1 (3rd pic, msg #5) where they are red. Why the color change?
                It could be lighting and the artist's impression - details of color schemes are hard to find - but the general yellow ochre color of the stacks could look red at sunset. (note the fleet in review in post #3, final image- at sunset - the shadow side of the stacks look red there too).
                I have seen variety in the masts - some black - some stack color - some darker ochre, also white.

The Monarch and Captain seemed to use a different scheme. - with black (Captain) and white (Monarch) stacks. They were experimental vessels.
                I thought BigFella might enjoy seeing that model of Cerberus. :) (I was trying to upload that one by name when I got the line drawing in error - but it was worth leaving there IMO)

It's fun to return to battleships after the grim current events of late...
                Last edited by USSWisconsin; 14 Aug 11,, 18:57.

Comment

it's amazing to see the amount of evolution from 1870-1905.
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                    it's amazing to see the amount of evolution from 1870-1905.
                    Indeed, the pace of naval change is amazing.

Comment

Warfarfe does tend to cause an acceleration of technology.

Compare frontline aircraft in service in 1939 for all major belligerants to 1945...I am not talking about the exotic prototypes, I am talking amazing frontline aircraft which didn't even exist in the mind's eye in 1939.

Getting shot at focuses the mind wonderfully!
                      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X