Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Naval Power

Hi mates,
    In another forum I participate in, a French guy has been bragging about how great French navy and it's technologies are, and how they can send an invasion fleet in IOR to take over the Andaman Islands easily.
    I am not a naval expert, so I would like to know what the forum members here think about current naval powers in general and France in particular.
    This is NOT intended to be a x vs y thread. I am not trying to get a "my d1ck is bigger than yours" discussion, but I would love to know whether in todays world it is possible for any navy, (except for the USN) to send an invasion fleet and take over an Indian territory, and if so, how can they do it.
    Ace o Spades in Ninth Hell

Nuke Karwar, Mumbai and Vishakapatnam. Mission done.

Comment

I said "invasion" - not mutual destruction, short of USA and Russia, I don't think any other country would like to start an offensive against India by nuking the major naval bases ...
      I maybe wrong, but not crazy
      :D

Comment

It might be theoretically possible - but it would be political suicide for the organization in charge to try and take territory from a country which isn't doing anything belligerent - even more so if nukes were used. I don't think even the US or Russia could get away with it. I would think France would be even less likely to.
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Well, i could imagine such an operation as a side theater in a wider conflict. Say an increased intensity conflict with China? The PLAN, while as a whole it's not geared towards projection, probably could still field a rather impressionable force into that theater provided Malaysia doesn't trouble this op in the Straits. Especially if they ever get a real carrier going.

While the PLAN can't project as many ground troops over such distances as France (!), an expedition using the Yuzhaos LPDs and possibly some Yuting I/II LSTs could be successful provided the Indian Army and Air Force is otherwise occupied and can't reinforce the islands easily.

Comment

completely off topic
            “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
              completely off topic
              Seriously?

Originally posted by ace009 View Post
              whether it is possible for any navy to send an invasion fleet and take over an Indian territory

Comment

The discussion actually started about a possible future India-Pakistan conflict scenario, where China pitches in by attacking in the North east and sending an expeditionary force to the Andaman islands (through China built ports and railroads in Burma). The French guy at this point jumped in with the input that French navy can invade, occupy and defend the Islands easily.
                I can imagine PLAN being able to do it (however unlikely)- although it might not be easy for them - and the benefit (control of a part of the major shipping routes through Indian Ocean) might well be offset by the loss of naval vessels as well as political milage.
                But, French Navy, doing the same, with a >10,000 mile supply line from France or a ~5000 mile supply line from Reunion - is that "easy" or possible?

Comment

Originally posted by ace009 View Post
                  But, French Navy, doing the same, with a >10,000 mile supply line from France or a ~5000 mile supply line from Reunion - is that "easy" or possible?
                  India and France regularly hold the joint "Varuna" exercise in the Indian Ocean, a full symmetric naval warfare exercise with carrier operations, maritime interdiction, ASW operations etc. The Varuna 10 exercise last January involved both the CdG carrier battle group and the Viraat carrier battle group, along with Indian SSKs and French SSNs.

France has projected its carrier group, occasionally with attached amphibious ships, into the Indian Ocean several times for this exercise series. The CdG group in the last decade or so has spent on average 2-3 months every year in the Indian Ocean, both for the Varuna maneuver series as well as for actual combat operations, usually long-range strike operations in Afghanistan.

For a serious projection of amphibious forces the question would be how much support France would get from MSSC, the joint European sealift group. Without MSSC, the second and third wave of ground forces would be limited to only the three RoRos that France contributes to it. With full MSSC involvement France could pretty much move half its army in the wake of the carrier group...

Comment

Now that would be a good trick...France invading anyone? Ask this person exactly when was the last time France invaded anyone that could equally defend itself. Make sure you state France and not France being a part of NATO forces. I would be interested in his answer.;)
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
                      Seriously?
                      The thread started with France in particular, is it not?
                      Attached Files
                      “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

The discussion actually started about a possible future India-Pakistan conflict scenario, where China pitches in by attacking in the North east and sending an expeditionary force to the Andaman islands (through China built ports and railroads in Burma).
                        Lets not go there...... WAB can use less flame.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                          Ask this person exactly when was the last time France invaded anyone that could equally defend itself.
                          Last March. Before that probably Operation Daguet in '91.

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                          Make sure you state France and not France being a part of NATO forces.
                          French Forces have not operated as part of NATO since 1966. Unlike those guys on the islands that always tend to back down when big brother is involved De Gaulle really took exception to the USA almost declaring war on them over sending some carriers and battleships to invade someone and gradually removed France from NATO structures over the next ten years.
                          Last edited by kato; 13 Aug 11,, 23:28.

Comment

Operation Daguet is french way of saying Dessert Storm.

Last March?

Take a look at the French operations (except in Africa) in the last 20 years and tell when they were operating alone.

As for your comments about the Brits, there was a funny reply in a movie that the only time Brits let the Americans alone was Vietnam and they lost ;)
                            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                              Take a look at the French operations (except in Africa) in the last 20 years and tell when they were operating alone.
                              Ah, but it wasn't about alone, it was about "as part of NATO" ;)

And i'm not aware of a single operation other than Afghanistan in which France has operated as part of NATO or under any sort of NATO command. Ever. Then again the same goes for the USA really.

Comment

Working...
                              X