Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God Bless. For a people not used to this, I also hope that God can offer comfort when no one else can.

Comment

Originally posted by Dago View Post
      Ok this just changed - now reported 80 dead just by the shooting at a youth club. How can one person kill 80 people? I could guarantee you, if I had a concealed license, well at least I could arguably defend my self reasonably. Even if my weapon was in a lock box near my car.

However after reading more "The camp on the small, wooded island in Tyrifjord lake was full of youngsters 14 to 18 years old, attending an event run by the Labor Party."

Basically the most defenseless part of our population. Why isn't there perhaps security at such a large camp? I know here in the US, there is some security presence at schools. It amazes me that 80 died, I don't think it was only one person, and that is just madness. Thats as much casualties you can see in conflict one day in Iraq at the start... just madness
      Dago,

I think one of the reasons for the lack of security is simply that things like this are so rare in Norway. It simply wouldn't occour to anyone that a remote kid's camp would need guarding. To be honest, I doubt anyone here would either, and we have much more of a history of mass shootings. Remember that Swedish PM Olof Palme was assassinated back in the 80s walking down the street with his wife - no bodyguards. When was the last time a US President went out without protection? certainly not since the Antebellum. Scandanavia is a different world. I just hope that the horror of this does not change that society for the worse.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Turns out he was a lunatic.
        Those who know don't speak
        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Has there been any sort of update on the building bombing, or are they focusing on the shooting? Are the two connected, were they done by the same person?
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
            Dago,

I think one of the reasons for the lack of security is simply that things like this are so rare in Norway. It simply wouldn't occour to anyone that a remote kid's camp would need guarding. To be honest, I doubt anyone here would either, and we have much more of a history of mass shootings. Remember that Swedish PM Olof Palme was assassinated back in the 80s walking down the street with his wife - no bodyguards. When was the last time a US President went out without protection? certainly not since the Antebellum. Scandanavia is a different world. I just hope that the horror of this does not change that society for the worse.
            The thing is their society will have to change now anyways because it has highlighted how easily this tragedy occurred. If one lunatic caused all this, what will happen when organised terrorists see how vulnerable these countries are?

Comment

Originally posted by Dago View Post
              However after reading more "The camp on the small, wooded island in Tyrifjord lake was full of youngsters 14 to 18 years old, attending an event run by the Labor Party."
              In addition, there were over 600 teenagers and young adults there. After the bombing in Oslo, the kids had been called together to be informed about and discuss the events, something in which the culprit, possibly through his posing as a police officer, might have had a hand. Considering the undetonated bomb on the island it might have been his initial plan to bomb the assembly first instead. The place was remote, so police couldn't easily reach it to react. Could have happened just as well in any other country.

Originally posted by observer7 View Post
              what will happen when organised terrorists see how vulnerable these countries are?
              We've had organized terrorism in Scandinavia before. Al Quaeda last year in Sweden.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
                Fremskrittspartiet is usually considered to be comparable to e.g. the Austrian FPÖ or the Dutch Lijst Pim Fortuyn. They're not as extremist as say Front National, but they have a racist-populist wing that even outdoes FN.
                If they have the 2nd biggest bloc and are shown to be involved in any way in this they will permanently be the 2nd biggest bloc or may no longer be second. They have something to lose, ppl involved in this have nothing to lose.

Originally posted by kato View Post
                The person arrested - after the shooting a few dozen km south of Oslo - is known to be part of certain domestic anti-government circles according to news agency NTB. Norwegian news channel TV2 (whose offices were evacuated in the evening due to another bomb threat) claims he's known to be part of a domestic right-wing extremist group. Oslo police is officially assuming the two acts to not have an international islamist but a domestic background.
                Looks like Norway has its own Tim McVeigh or more. Wonder if the perps have military experience.

Will be interesting to know what the motivations are. Insanity is the only one i can think of. What else could possibly alienate somebody enough to do this.
                Last edited by Double Edge; 23 Jul 11,, 12:55.

Comment

Devastating. Deepest condolences to the families of the fallen..RIP

Comment

Look gents,there is no way this is political.I only mentioned it before for the sake of argument.Actually I did expected to be the religion of peace at work,but,like in the case of Arizona shooting is just a deranged individual .This one seems to have enough brains to carry a complex operation,but the investigation will clarify.
                    The very idea of any political force actually having connections with this sort of events isn't worthy of consideration.Right wing,even those outside the mainstream is legit and on the rise.It has no need to shoot itself in the foot.That has to be mentioned loud and clear.Crazy is apolitical.
                    The only thing that's worrisome is that the left will beat this horse to its death,without giving a frack about the dead kids.
                    Another thing that will happen is that security will be increased,but that's not bad.Nobody is safe from idiots.
                    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Shooting 80 people is alot of ammunition and quite time consuming I'd imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                        Has there been any sort of update on the building bombing, or are they focusing on the shooting? Are the two connected, were they done by the same person?
                        Last I heard they still think it was the same guy. There is a theme of sorts here too. The bomb (or at least one of them - I don't think they all went off) was ained at the PM. He was due to be at the camp later today or tommorrow - it was a camp for young members of the governing party. Apparently the guy pretended to be a cop & called kids together claiming he was there to help deal with the bombing - then he started shooting. Some kids, not realising, ran toward him thinking he was a cop. This was all very well planned.

I have heard a number of things about him at this point, one is that police are describing him as a 'fundmantalist christian'. have also heard ties to far right groups & even that he was a mason. Not sure what to make of it all yet.

One more thing. Someone pointed out that a loss oflife relative to population for the US would be 5000. WHile I realise these sort of comparisons are always flawed, it does give some pointer to scale & impact for a small nation like Norway. Terrible indeed.
                        sigpic

Comment

Just found this elsewhere. You can translate it reasonably well with google translate. The guy is very definately right wing. Anti-Marxist, anti-multiculturalist, anti0Islam (probably more things he hates, I couldn't be bothered going on with it). What is scary is how much he sounds like an awful lot of peope I have run into online over the years (fortunately not on WAB).

Anders Behring Breiviks kommentarer hos Document.no
                          sigpic

Comment

What's even scarier is how some try to give a political stint to sheer lunacy.

Comment

My sympathy to the Norwegian people and my prayers for the families and friends of those dying or hurt in this tragedy. This is simply awful.
                              This is beyond horrible - I am Norwegian (in ancestry) - I have no words, (thank you for letting me use yours S2).

I also hope that God can offer comfort when no one else can.
                              (OOE, Thank you Sir, Well said)
                              Last edited by USSWisconsin; 23 Jul 11,, 15:56.
                              sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                              If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

R.I.P. innocents, deep condolences to families. Horrible event in such peaceful country
                                We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

Working...
                                X