Iran to 'speed up' uranium enrichment at nuclear plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran to 'speed up' uranium enrichment at nuclear plants

Iran says it is installing newer and faster centrifuges at its nuclear plants, with the goal of speeding up the uranium enrichment process.

The foreign ministry says the United Nations nuclear watchdog, the IAEA, has "full supervision" of the operation.

The French government has condemned the move as a "new provocation".

France and other Western powers fear that Iran's nuclear programme is aimed at developing nuclear weapons. Iran says its programme is for civilian use.

Enriched uranium can be used for civilian nuclear purposes, but also to build atomic bombs. Tehran insists that it is refining uranium for electricity generation and medical applications.

"By installing the new centrifuges progress is being made with more speed and better quality," said Iran's foreign ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast.

He said the move showed Iran's success in pursuing its "peaceful nuclear activity", but did not say where the new generation of centrifuges would be installed, or provide details on the speed or capability of the machines.
    'Suspicions confirmed'

France was quick to condemn the announcement.
    Continue reading the main story
    Nuclear Fuel Cycle

Mined uranium ore is purified and reconstituted into solid form known as yellowcake
    Yellowcake is chemically processed and converted into uranium hexafluoride gas
    Gas is fed through centrifuges, where its isotopes separate
    The process is repeated until uranium is enriched
    Low-level enriched uranium is used for nuclear fuel
    Highly enriched uranium can be used in nuclear weapons

In depth: Nuclear fuel cycle

"Iran is engaging in a new provocation by announcing the imminent installation of next-generation centrifuges," the French foreign ministry said in a statement.

"[It] clearly confirms the suspicions of the IAEA and of the international community about the finality of a programme with no credible civilian application," the statement said.

Diplomatic efforts to find a solution to Iran's nuclear dispute have stalled, after talks between Iran and six world powers broke down in December last year.

"Iran must suspend its sensitive activities and create the conditions for reopening talks," France said.

The country is subject to four rounds of UN Security Council sanctions over its refusal to halt uranium enrichment.

Last month, the British government accused Iran of testing missiles capable of carrying a nuclear warhead, in contravention of a UN resolution.

The Iranians openly test-fired 14 surface-to-surface missiles with a range of 2,000km (1,250 miles) as part of a 10-day programme of military exercises.

Its foreign ministry said none of these missiles had nuclear capability.

BBC News - Iran to 'speed up' uranium enrichment at nuclear plants

All speed to Iran. Its time Pakistan understands the concept of a two front threat. Good news indeed coming close on the heels of our recent Tummalapalle find.
    Last edited by vsdoc; 20 Jul 11,, 06:26.

Comment

You can trace back the propaganda about Iran's "nuclear ambitions" back to the early 80's, when they were two to five years away from a nuclear bomb (depending on who was trying to scare you). You can trace this propaganda over a quarter of a century - the amazing thing is (and this is testament to the power of propaganda) people still believe it.

A quarter of a century from now, we'll be probably still be here talking about Iran's "nuclear ambitions" and how they are two to five years away from a nuclear weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by Dubitante View Post
        A quarter of a century from now, we'll be probably still be here talking about Iran's "nuclear ambitions" and how they are two to five years away from a nuclear weapon.
        Horse Pucky. We know from Pakistan that Iran paid good money for two nuclear warhead blueprints.

Comment

"...A quarter of a century from now, we'll be probably still be here talking about Iran's 'nuclear ambitions'..."

If true it'll only be because their ability to adhere to a timeline has been interrupted by forces beyond their control. The ambition is real enough and those like you shall likely be horrified once fully realized and utilized as intended...

There will be a war fought before then. Best accept that reality. A nuclear-armed regional shia hegemon is unacceptable in the gulf.
          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
            Horse Pucky. We know from Pakistan that Iran paid good money for two nuclear warhead blueprints.
            Well, I haven't kept as up to date with the IAEA reports as I was a few years ago, but it is my understanding that there remains not one atom of evidence pointing to a nuclear weapons program in Iran.

Comment

Sir,like the Iranian nuke,this war is in waiting for a long time.We'd better see some action soon,before it gets too boring.

Unacceptable to whom?The Sunni monarchs,yes.The Sunni street,doubtful.The Israeli,yes.The Indians don't care.The Chinese might favor it.The Russians will be glad.The Europeans can't fight,for now,nor they particularly care.The Americans don't want to,absent another attack on your soil.
              Those who know don't speak
              He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
                A nuclear-armed regional shia hegemon is unacceptable in the gulf.
                I'm guessing that you're absolutely fine with a nuclear-armed ultra-nationalist Zionist hegemon in the ME?

Comment

Israeli nukes don't sit on top of oil.Shiastan will sit on top of oil.That's the bit of difference that matters.
                  Those who know don't speak
                  He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Well, I haven't kept as up to date with the IAEA reports as I was a few years ago, but it is my understanding that there remains not one atom of evidence pointing to a nuclear weapons program in Iran.
                    You have selective reading habits. Google AQ Khan.

Comment

Then why was a secret enrichment facility at Qom found a cpl of yrs back ?

Why the need for secrecy at all.

Comment

We also know for fact that Iran, Syria and North Korea were building a sight that the Israeli's took out in Syria and gathered the tell tale isotopes that indicate where the material came from. All in violation of several treaties to say the least.
                        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Dubitante Reply

"I'm guessing that you're absolutely fine with a nuclear-armed ultra-nationalist Zionist hegemon in the ME?"

You appear practiced at the art of deception. Last I checked they've not shot their demonstrating citizens in the streets of their capital. However, I'm guessing that you're engaging in a red herring to obfuscate relevance.

Would you be satisfied with, generally, more nuclear weapons within the region? Are you comfortable with the surreptitious dismantling of the NPT? Do you feel at ease with a mullah-controlled bomb.

My suspicion is yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Try staying on point while avoiding the intentional distractors if you please?
                          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Dubitante Reply

"...it is my understanding that there remains not one atom of evidence pointing to a nuclear weapons program in Iran."

You appear in need of a primer. Allow me-

The Iran Primer-U.S. Institute For Peace July 13, 2011 David Albright

All circumstantial. Happenstance. Sheer coincidence. You know...the usual?

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                              You have selective reading habits. Google AQ Khan.
                              Know all about him. I'm still not aware of any evidence of a weapons program.

Comment

Working...
                              X