Iran to 'speed up' uranium enrichment at nuclear plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
    We also know for fact that Iran, Syria and North Korea were building a sight that the Israeli's took out in Syria and gathered the tell tale isotopes that indicate where the material came from. All in violation of several treaties to say the least.
    I remember the attack, were the findings published by the IAEA? If so, can you provide a link?

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
      You appear practiced at the art of deception. Last I checked they've not shot their demonstrating citizens in the streets of their capital. However, I'm guessing that you're engaging in a red herring to obfuscate relevance.
      Last I checked, Israel violates more UN resolutions that any other nation on Earth. Last I checked, Iran was a peaceful nation that hadn't attacked another country in living memory. Yet you're happy with Israel's monopolistic rogue nuclear status, but you're worried about Iran's theoretical alleged weapons program?

Would you be satisfied with, generally, more nuclear weapons within the region?
      I'd be a whole lot happier with no nukes in the region.

Are you comfortable with the surreptitious dismantling of the NPT?
      This has nothing to do with the NPT. A simple thought experiment should illustrate that. If the NPT was the issue, Iran can simply give 3 months notice and withdraw. Would the threats stop? No, of course they wouldn't, they would intensify.

It has nothing to do with the NPT, and everything to do with Iran being the only resource rich Muslim state beyond US control.

Comment

Originally posted by Dubitante View Post
        Know all about him. I'm still not aware of any evidence of a weapons program.
        What the hell do you call the purchase of 2 nuclear warhead blueprints? A comic book sale?

Comment

I remember the attack, were the findings published by the IAEA? If so, can you provide a link?
          The IAEA was not allowed near the site, even after the attack. You're barking up the wrong tree here.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
            What the hell do you call the purchase of 2 nuclear warhead blueprints? A comic book sale?
            What I call it is irrelevant. Is it considered proof by the people paid to monitor these things?

It might be, I'm genuinely asking.

Comment

The IAEA was not allowed near the site, even after the attack. You're barking up the wrong tree here.
              Quite possibly. I'm usually wrong several times a day :)

So what is the "isotope theory" based on? Like I said, I don't follow this particular topic closely any more (I'm not the UN, I can't do everything).

Comment

What I call it is irrelevant. Is it considered proof by the people paid to monitor these things?

It might be, I'm genuinely asking.
                It is a direct violation of the NPT Article II.

Comment

It is a direct violation of the NPT Article II.
                  Again, is this your opinion, or the opinion of the IAEA?

Comment

Article II

Article II: Each non-NWS party undertakes not to receive, from any source, nuclear weapons, or other nuclear explosive devices; not to manufacture or acquire such weapons or devices; and not to receive any assistance in their manufacture.

Or can't you read.

Comment

Article II: Each non-NWS party undertakes not to receive, from any source, nuclear weapons, or other nuclear explosive devices; not to manufacture or acquire such weapons or devices; and not to receive any assistance in their manufacture.
                      I know what Article II is. That's not what I was asking. Does the IAEA consider the allegation that Iran sought the designs for nuclear weapons as proven?

Or can't you read.
                      Let's keep it civil, it's not even 9AM here.

Comment

Well, I haven't kept as up to date with the IAEA reports as I was a few years ago, but it is my understanding that there remains not one atom of evidence pointing to a nuclear weapons program in Iran.
                        A. They payed for warhead blueprints B. They prevaricate over inspections C. Ahmadinejad makes ridiculous speeches about evil everything D. Their own people are scared of the regime. E. Satellite photos of facilities they will not let inspectors into. F. All the other Arab states are scared.

Basicly you have a regime desperate for it's own survival and paranoid of the outside world (pulling down satellite dishes) and it's own people (bashing up demonstrators). I actualy have friends in Iran who assure me that their programme is 'more advanced than the West believes' (though I am not in the loop of our current estimation).

If you believe they need nuclear power only for energy supply you are Sir peering out of the window, observing people with umbrellas and then going out believing that it's not raining.

Comment

I know what Article II is. That's not what I was asking. Does the IAEA consider the allegation that Iran sought the designs for nuclear weapons as proven?
                          Not the IAEA jurisdiction. They are responsible for existing nuclear activity. Not counter-intelligence. What has been confirmed is that Iran illegally obtained centrifuges from Pakistan without going through IAEA safeguards.

Comment

I should point out that I am no friend of the Iranian regime, and have been a constant critic of it. The regime is clearly a danger to its own people, but outwardly, in spite of massive and constant provocations, it is outwardly a peaceful nation.

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                            A. They payed for warhead blueprints
                            Does the IAEA consider this proven?

B. They prevaricate over inspections
                            True.

C. Ahmadinejad makes ridiculous speeches about evil everything
                            Be honest, you love his speeches as much as I do. They're awesome :)

D. Their own people are scared of the regime.
                            Not relevant to this discussion.

E. Satellite photos of facilities they will not let inspectors into.
                            Is there an IAEA source for this? (Again, a genuine question)

F. All the other Arab states are scared.
                            On this point I will correct you. A recent poll conducted across the "Arab world" by the Brookings Institute found that around 88% view Israel as the biggest threat to them, 77% view the US as the biggest threat, and around 10% view Iran as a threat.

If you believe they need nuclear power only for energy supply you are Sir peering out of the window, observing people with umbrellas and then going out believing that it's not raining.
                            I try to base my opinions on the documentary record rather then innuendo.

Comment

Not the IAEA jurisdiction. They are responsible for existing nuclear activity. Not counter-intelligence. What has been confirmed is that Iran illegally obtained centrifuges from Pakistan without going through IAEA safeguards.
                              I'm just trying to understand the source. Is it a documentary? A blog post? An IAEA report? A UN report? A report from the government of one of the countries interested in attacking Iran?

Is your issue that you feel Iran is violating the NPT? Or is it something else? If they withdrew from the NPT (as they are entitled to do) would your concerns disappear?

Comment

I'm just trying to understand the source. Is it a documentary? A blog post? An IAEA report? A UN report? A report from the government of one of the countries interested in attacking Iran?
                                The source? AQ Khan and his leaks to the media. But he's restricted from talking to anyone by Pakistan. The proof. Libya. She released her documents which included the CICH-4 warhead blueprint with AQ Khan's own handwriting on them. The same set of documents that he sold to Iran and North Korea. The 2nd warhead blueprint was discovered in Geneva by the Swiss Authorities. It was discussed with US nuclear weapons experts and the details of that discussion was sent to the IAEA but the Swiss destroyed those blueprints right after without giving any copies to anyone.

Is your issue that you feel Iran is violating the NPT? Or is it something else? If they withdrew from the NPT (as they are entitled to do) would your concerns disappear?
                                Sure. Just like North Korea did. However, making bombs while enjoying the benefits of the NPT invites war.

Comment

Working...
                                X