maritime security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maritime security

what about security for passengers!? the Bulgaria sunk just a few days ago and the point is: do we need to wait for these tragedies to happen in order to improve security?
    sigpic

what are you talking about??? what security? the ship sunk due to technical reasons.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

I don't think he's using security in the sense of "we need security guards, checkpoints etc". Security as in some form of protection against a threat. In this case it could take the form of additional PFDs, upholding passenger limits etc.

But to answer the question, yes. We do need to wait for these tragedies to happen to improve maritime safety. Almost every regulation regarding required PFD numbers, lifeboats, construction materials etc were instituted in the wake of a significant maritime disaster. The Bulgaria sank not because of lack of maritime security measures but because of failure to uphold them. It's almost a case of "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink." That is, until one horse dies of dehydration and the other ones realize that perhaps they should drink.

Comment

The boat sailed with a list, and was carrying 208 people when she was rated for 120. Emergency exit doors were welded shut.

The boat sank due to one main cause: Stupidity
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

welded doors and extra 80ppl are NOT the reasons why it sunk.

vessel lurched to its right side in the storm, then capsized and sank in minutes, witnesses saying.
          i could be due to pilot error, or mulfunction... we don't know yet.
          i see no reasons call it stupidity yet. if there is, than every single accedent is due to stupidity.

and also i've read dozens of articles now about the accedent, NONE mentioned welded doors, would you point to a source stating that??
          Last edited by omon; 15 Jul 11,, 18:08.
          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

i see no reasons call it stupidity yet. if there is, than every single accedent is due to stupidity.
            That more or less sums it up. Most accidents are caused because someone somewhere made a stupid mistake they couldn't compensate for, and ended up paying for it.

In this case, from everything I've read, it was listing before it even left port, and it sank quickly because all the portholes and windows were open due to the lack of air conditioning.
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
              In this case, from everything I've read, it was listing before it even left port, .
              than it is more than stupidity, i'd say a crime.

Comment

And don't worry, people will be held responsible and heads will roll, I guarantee you. There's no way for something this high profile to be whitewashed or swept under the rug

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                  And don't worry, people will be held responsible and heads will roll, I guarantee you. There's no way for something this high profile to be whitewashed or swept under the rug
                  Maybe in Putin's Russia...
                  "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

Working...
                  X