Boot Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot Life

Just an update for anyone who cares. I've been in the fleet for about 3 months now and I hit my year mark at the end of August. I'm currently with Tango Battery, 5bn, 10th Marines, 2nd MARDIV. Headed back to 29 Palms for a double EMV later this fall. Just got back from a training exercise with MARSOC and I'm currently talking to one of their recruiters about shifting over. The fleet, definitely isn't what I thought it would be, but I'm adapting and learning to love the toxic, cancerous hell hole that is Camp Le-JUUUUR-une.

Rah

US_MiltCom Reply

Always happy to read about our young soldiers and marines doing the combat arms thingy. What's your current assignment duties in T Btry 5/10 Marines?

Don't sour on the artillery too quickly. There's a lot to offer and, presently, some real opportunities to shoot big bullets at bad guys.

That's ALWAYS a GOOD thing. God bless, be safe and charlie mike...:wors:
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

The fleet, definitely isn't what I thought it would be, but I'm adapting and learning to love the toxic, cancerous hell hole that is Camp Le-JUUUUR-une.
      It gets into your blood. Some of the shittiest holes in the worst climates ever, and you just can't wait to get some more of it
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I'm with headquarters platoon, I'm an 0621 field radio operator. So if I'm not carrying a big ass ruck full of radios and batteries on a patrol, I'm loading radios, filling guns, setting up OE's, etc.

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
        It gets into your blood. Some of the shittiest holes in the worst climates ever, and you just can't wait to get some more of it
        It's funny, every time I go on a shitty working party, stand in formation in 105 degree weather for 2 hours doing drill, or hear that most dreaded of phrases, "MARCH ORDER!" I love my job a little more, I'm a little more sure I want to reenlist, at least once. Maybe it's Stockholm Syndrome, or Pavlovian theory or some shit. I do want to lat move though, and things are looking up on that end.

Comment

Originally posted by US_MiltCom View Post
          I'm with headquarters platoon, I'm an 0621 field radio operator. So if I'm not carrying a big ass ruck full of radios and batteries on a patrol, I'm loading radios, filling guns, setting up OE's, etc.

It's funny, every time I go on a shitty working party, stand in formation in 105 degree weather for 2 hours doing drill, or hear that most dreaded of phrases, "MARCH ORDER!" I love my job a little more, I'm a little more sure I want to reenlist, at least once. Maybe it's Stockholm Syndrome, or Pavlovian theory or some shit. I do want to lat move though, and things are looking up on that end.
          Mate, you've got the bug. The military is an addictive thing, and you will meet people and experience things that will last you the rest of your life. There are some people that are not fit for the military, but others that the military fits them like a glove. Every shit assignment and every crap mission only makes you stronger and feel better about yourself, and when you do get out, you will look back on your time in service with great satisfaction. At least I do
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
            There are some people that are not fit for the military
            That's my only real problem with the Marines. Half my shop just doesn't give a ****. They show up late, can't shave properly or get haircuts, don't do any work, constantly fallout of PT, etc. It's gotten past the point were I HAVE to work hard because I'm the new guy, now I just work hard because I'm one of the only ones who does. What makes me laugh is that I KNOW that when they EAS, they're the ones who will be driving around with 10 USMC bumper stickers, rocking moto tats and telling everyone back home how hardcore they were back when they served. Oh well, such is life.

Comment

Every unit has them. Eventually (if you stay in) you will reach a place where you will be able to rip the jerk off's a new asshole. Ask the Gunny or any other NCO that tore somebody a new one and then rebuilt them into something respectable. It feels good, and they will later pass those lessons on. I was torn a new one a couple times, and I've torn a couple new ones. Thankfully both the guys I ripped into straightened themselves out

Comment

Oh I definitely got "straightened out" when I first checked into the fleet, funnily enough the corporal that was doing the correcting is now a sergeant and is trying to get me on a meritorious board.

Comment

Good on ya! What's the next step up for you?

Comment

The lowly lance corporal, start pulling in that fat E-3 paycheck...

Even if I don't get meritorious I should pick it up in November. But I'd love to have it in the books.

Comment

Good luck! In the IDF promotion from private to corporal to sergeant to staff sergeant is almost automatic, though you still have to work hard for it. I got out as a staff sergeant once I finished my three years draft

Comment

Sorry for the late reply.

Great to hear from you young shower shoe. Seem to be hanging in well. Keep the chin up and ignore the shitbirds. Seems like you have a good attitude. Keep it up.

Your in one of my old Battalions. 5/10 I retired as the HQ Battery Gunny about 9 years ago. Seems we just missed each other And spent various tours in 5/10 back when they were a 155mm and 8in Self Propelled Battalion (M109 and M110s).

Comment

So you're very familiar with the paradise that is N street.

Comment

ROFLMAO.

You don't mean, as we use to say in the 80s, "The Nightmare on N Street"?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Now a 5/10 question. Are the two M101 howitzers still in front of the CP?

Comment

AKA "the ghetto of Camp Lejeune" AKA "The black hole of the Marine Corps"

Negative gunny, just a single 101.

Comment

Working...
                              X