Navy officer on carrier removed for relationship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy officer on carrier removed for relationship

They push for Gays in the military while they screw with this man's career with no proof of sexual contact. Now he may have to show why he should be allowed to remain in the Navy. Do the admiralty prudes really want neutered guys running the show or what? Help me out military types as I just can't make any sense of this.http://news.yahoo.com/navy-officer-c...192627248.html
    Last edited by bonehead; 12 Jul 11,, 04:25.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Simple, you are setting a bad example by an officer having an affair with a soldier and both are married.

IMO,Officers of this position (man or woman) are held to a higher standard as they are expected to be a carreer man or woman. It will be viewed differently by their peers but ultimately the officer should already know this being responsible for more then just themselves by the example they set for others to follow.

It also ensures that adnormal conditions like this dont remove their focus from wherever it may have to be directed in their line of duties.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

He sat in a car with another woman. He jogged with her and sent and received a few flirty messages. Thats it, no physical contact. I could understand if the woman was under his command but this is clearly not the case. I don't recall anyone worrying about JFK not being focused during the cuban missile crises and we all knew he had extracurricular affairs. I understand officers being held to a higher standard, but this makes me question if the Navy is ran by the Taliban. The Navy is going to throw away all the time and money training this officer because he, at most, flirted with a woman. Good grief. Looks like the Navy is going to have to recruit officers from the vatican from now on.

Comment

That's actually a good idea, there aren't any little children in the Navy, and therefore no distractions
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I understand officers being held to a higher standard, but this makes me question if the Navy is ran by the Taliban. The Navy is going to throw away all the time and money training this officer because he, at most, flirted with a woman. Good grief. Looks like the Navy is going to have to recruit officers from the vatican from now on.

IMO, They are not going to throw away his career. They are going to make sure he walks the line in a repectful way suitable for his position and have him confirm that this is his intentions. If he is removed from one postion, he just may find himself back in that position or for that matter a better one once the message is clear and the matter resolved. Or he "could" also choose retirement for that matter.

In other words...are you really going to throw away a carreer over a piece of a$$?

The whole point of this is that their jobs/careers are stressful enough on themselves and their families that support them. There is no room for extra marital affairs in the military of this nature. Its taboo and leads to further deterioration of what is expected of military professionals in those positions.

In circumstances like this the military is the military, not the dating game. Especially when both are already married and it effects more then just two adults, it effects both military and civilian people, meaning their spouses and families not just their comrads.
          Last edited by Dreadnought; 12 Jul 11,, 16:39.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
            That's actually a good idea, there aren't any little children in the Navy, and therefore no distractions
            There are thousands of children at every port, but supposedly none belong to the officers.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
              He sat in a car with another woman. He jogged with her and sent and received a few flirty messages. .
              they got cought, that is it.
              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                I understand officers being held to a higher standard, but this makes me question if the Navy is ran by the Taliban. The Navy is going to throw away all the time and money training this officer because he, at most, flirted with a woman. Good grief. Looks like the Navy is going to have to recruit officers from the vatican from now on.

IMO, They are not going to throw away his career. They are going to make sure he walks the line in a repectful way suitable for his position and have him confirm that this is his intentions. If he is removed from one postion, he just may find himself back in that position or for that matter a better one once the message is clear and the matter resolved. Or he "could" also choose retirement for that matter.

In other words...are you really going to throw away a carreer over a piece of a$$?

The whole point of this is that their jobs/careers are stressful enough on themselves and their families that support them. There is no room for extra marital affairs in the military of this nature. Its taboo and leads to further deterioration of what is expected of military professionals in those positions.

In circumstances like this the military is the military, not the dating game. Especially when both are already married and it effects more then just two adults, it effects both military and civilian people, meaning their spouses and families not just their comrads.
                Do to the highly visible nature of his removal and the fierce competition of such a post, I don't see him returning to being second in command of a carrier. The thing is that he didn't get a piece of azz. He only flirted with it, jogged with it and sat next to it in a car. They obviously followed him for some time and that is all they could come up with. Unless your Jimmy Carter, thats not quite an affair. Wouldn't a reprimand be enough at this point?
                If they are going after extra marital affairs they may as well go after those who divorced and remarried. God the stress of dealing with the ex wife and kids from both families would be too much. How could the captain expect to run a ship under such circumstances.

Comment

Do to the highly visible nature of his removal and the fierce competition of such a post, I don't see him returning to being second in command of a carrier.

*If you notice, He holds the rank of Captain, perfectly suitable for the role of XO aboard any US Navy ship. All it takes is an open post, its obvious he has the credentials to do so and he wont be the first one to hold a Captains rank but yet hold the position of XO aboard a Capital ship in the USN.

Perhaps they are not watching him closer then many suspect, apparently they are leaving a tell tale sign with their meetings and her posts via email. This leads to speculations and further perhaps caught the ear of someone important above him that wants to make sure that being the XO of a CVN is his sole focus outside of his family.

One cannot be expected to lead a crew of 5000-6000 sailors in their duties as he would aboard ship without having his own house in order. Lead by example. Alot of responsibility to say the least, especially to the crew and the heirarchy above his position.
                  Last edited by Dreadnought; 12 Jul 11,, 21:53.

Comment

While not an officer in the military, I have held a highly responsible position in the state judiciary. The bottom line is this: when you accept such a position, and nobody forces you to take it, it is totally voluntary on your part, you have to hold youself to a higher standard and to be mindful not only of the actual intent behind your actions, but also how those actions can be percieved. When you accept a post of high responsibility (and it is a shame our politicians don't seem to get this message) you have to understand that you represent something greater than yourself. You surrender a degree of freedom of conduct to hold that post, but you do so voluntarily, and knowing that going in. Nobody changed the rules half way through the game, or threw this guy any kind of a curve ball. He made bad choices, now he pays the price. I have no problem with that. With position, authority, power, etc., come responsibilities commensurate with the office. If you are going to seek the office, be prepared to held to a higher standard and be prepared to hold yourself to a higher standard.

IMHO,

Bob

Comment

Ok. I am starting to see your point of view. However, if he had anything concrete, ie physical activity, I bet that would have been brought to light. Until then I don't see how his actions fit the punishment. He didn't do anything illegal or committed any specific military law. Until then If I felt he was qualified to run a U.S. Navy carrier he should be able to spend some time with a woman not connected to the ship in any way,shape, or form, without risking his career. No one would have batted an eye if he did the same thing with another man. (Of course the messaging would have been gross IMO) I guess I will never understand the nautical thing about hating women.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                        Ok. I am starting to see your point of view. However, if he had anything concrete, ie physical activity, I bet that would have been brought to light. Until then I don't see how his actions fit the punishment. He didn't do anything illegal or committed any specific military law. Until then If I felt he was qualified to run a U.S. Navy carrier he should be able to spend some time with a woman not connected to the ship in any way,shape, or form, without risking his career. No one would have batted an eye if he did the same thing with another man. (Of course the messaging would have been gross IMO) I guess I will never understand the nautical thing about hating women.
                        Unfortunately a USN Carrier is a very small place at sea when you think about it, busy at most times, and has a very important role at sea, even in wide open spaces where they seem very small compared to the background. There are some things that you must preserve. I dont think I have to list them. But in that case Respect for Command and their wishes and those that carry those orders out tops the list IMO.
                        Last edited by Dreadnought; 13 Jul 11,, 05:08.

Comment

I see it as the example he was setting, not the fact they couldn't prove he slept with her. They were both married and both in love with someone besides their spouse, and other women were in love with him too - he was a playboy. They didn't want him in charge of a Capital ship. He can do something else useful, which doesn't require an exemplary life. As I understand it, the XO is the commander of the crew - they don't get orders from the Captain himself - he commands the ship and works through the XO to run the crew. Those thousands of young co-ed kids on the carriers look to their leaders for examples, and there are frequently love affairs at sea - if the boss does this kind of thing, why not them?
                          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                            Unfortunately a USN Carrier is a very small place at sea when you think about it, busy at most times, and has a very important role at sea, even in wide open spaces where they seem very small compared to the background. There are some things that you must preserve. I dont think I have to list them. But in that case Respect for Command and their wishes and those that carry those orders out tops the list IMO.
                            Was adultery, or even perceived adultery specifically against the wishes or orders of his higher ups? I know ship board romances are a no-no but that does not apply here.

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                              I see it as the example he was setting, not the fact they couldn't prove he slept with her. They were both married and both in love with someone besides their spouse, and other women were in love with him too - he was a playboy. They didn't want him in charge of a Capital ship. He can do something else useful, which doesn't require an exemplary life. As I understand it, the XO is the commander of the crew - they don't get orders from the Captain himself - he commands the ship and works through the XO to run the crew. Those thousands of young co-ed kids on the carriers look to their leaders for examples, and there are frequently love affairs at sea - if the boss does this kind of thing, why not them?
                              I am not convinced about the falling in love part. Maybe, maybe not. I'd still like to hear his part of the story before condemning him.

Comment

Working...
                              X