Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumors: Hugo Chavez dead in Cuban hospital

per various twitters

Dead in Cuba. Supposed to have prostate cancer, but reports this was a heart attack.
    here's one published source saying he was in critical condition: Venezuela denies Hugo Chavez in critical condition | Herald Sun
    Last edited by rj1; 27 Jun 11,, 00:30.

One can but hope
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

What if this is true? Will there be any significant political change in Venezuela?
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I love the fact that he went to Cuba for treatment.
        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Cuba is a leading research centre on cheap medicines. They're doing experiments that no Western country would ever allow, ie using gene manipulation in sheep to produce cheap medicines.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
            They're doing experiments that no Western country would ever allow, ie using gene manipulation in sheep to produce cheap medicines.
            You do realize pretty much everyone is doing stuff like that?

Chavez would be in Cuba because Cuba is the established leader in medical infrastructure and medical treatment in at least Latin America, effectively in the entire Second World. Has been for over 40 years. Even if the guys a bit further up north tend to deny it. Thanks Che. For both.

Comment

I've never really understood why some Americans (in particular) saw Chavez as the bogeyman or why left wing morons saw him as some sort of hero (OK, I sort of do, but it is still silly). In the revolutionary stakes he was a VERY pale facsimilie of Fidel, and in the fighting poverty stakes Lula in Brazil & the Concertacion in Chile put him to shame. It stikes me that hugo was/is a master at selling the sizzle rather than the sausage & that people all over the political spectrum bought it.

That said, he has done more harm than good & will do more harm if he survives. Can't help but think that the Chavestistas will struggle to find a replacement. No great loss.
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                It stikes me that hugo was/is a master at selling the sizzle rather than the sausage & that people all over the political spectrum bought it.
                He's kinda Latin America's Gerhard Schröder. Or Tony Blair.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
                  He's kinda Latin America's Gerhard Schröder. Or Tony Blair.
                  But with so much more flair. I actually think a bit more Sarkozy or Berlusconi. He's not the antichrist, he's just a naughty boy.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah, but Schröder and Blair were the left-wing-slash-third-way populists with not really any left-wing substance in their actions ;)

Comment

That said, he has done more harm than good & will do more harm if he survives. Can't help but think that the Chavestistas will struggle to find a replacement. No great loss.
                      I don't like him because he does his country far more harm than good, pandering to his own ego and wallet rather than what his countrymen need.
                      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
                        Yeah, but Schröder and Blair were the left-wing-slash-third-way populists with not really any left-wing substance in their actions ;)
                        To be fair, Hugo has left wing substance, its just that a lot of it is crappy failed left wing stuff & none of it is anywhere near as effective/dangerous as his fans or detractors want to believe. Lula & the concertacion leaders were probably less left wing than Hugo strictly speaking (though all screaming marxists to most of our American bretheren) but they also spent their time actually running effective programs rather than posturing & making long, rambling speeches. I actually wish Hugo was as vapid as Blair or Schroder, he would have done less damage. They were less entertaining (than practically anything really) but less harmful too.

On a side note, I actually have time for third way stuff done well. The Hawke/keating government here pretty much wrote the playbook for the third way. They not only ran a pretty good government, but transformed the economy too. Basically, what Blair promised to do.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                          I don't like him because he does his country far more harm than good, pandering to his own ego and wallet rather than what his countrymen need.
                          Agreed. I don't like him either. I just don't understand the scale of the reaction by others (not you). Some Americans seem to think he is the devil incarnate, some brain dead lefties (mainly European, but not exclusively) seem to think he is the fulfillment of some left wing dream. He isn't close to being either. I honestly can't believe that so many perople seem to buy into his schtick.
                          sigpic

Comment

Agreed. I don't like him either. I just don't understand the scale of the reaction by others (not you). Some Americans seem to think he is the devil incarnate, some brain dead lefties (mainly European, but not exclusively) seem to think he is the fulfillment of some left wing dream. He isn't close to being either. I honestly can't believe that so many perople seem to buy into his schtick.
                            In the Netherlands we see him mainly as a loony dictator type of person who has his eyes on snatching Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. Falklands all over again.

Not much support for him here. Not even lefties!
                            "Football is war."

-Rinus Michels

Comment

some brain dead lefties (mainly European, but not exclusively) seem to think he is the fulfillment of some left wing dream.
                              Among European leftists that's mostly just an automatic anti-american reflex. The US is trying to topple him, so we've gotta be for him. In Germany only the irrelevant Stalinists glorify him; the postcommunists do the anti-american reflex thing, and the social democrats officially are okay with him as long as he's democratically legitimized, although some agree with the postcommunists on their "never again another Chile" stance.

Comment

Working...
                              X