• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Laser View Post
    May be move to Montana, and raise a crop of dental floss-Frank Zappa
    Your point being?
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

It's a joke- Google Frank Zappa quotes-One of my favorites is "a mind is like a parachute; it has to be open to work" and " tobacco is my favorite vegetable".
      Don't listen to me, I'm a wack job.

Comment

I know it's a joke, but still don't get the connection with mine and Mihais's willingness to buy land instead of other commodities.

As for Zappa quotes I was literally on the floor when I read this one: "Rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, in order to provide articles for people who can't read." in an interview for a MOJO magazine ;)

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I heard some of his songs as a kid, and never forgot how funny, and prophetic, his lyrics were.

I'm no one to take investment advice from. In fact I hesitate to even comment, but just for the sake of entertainment, but I'll try. Historically, as an investment, land is generally "long term", pretty specific to the location, and the projected growth of the area it is in, and to the investment goals of the person doing the investing. ( Unless of course, you are a politician, and you know where they are going to build the next off ramp, or subway stop).
          Of course, these are pretty historic times we are living in.
          Currently, a land investment may not be a bad idea. It might be safer than a Gold investment, at this point. And there are fewer and fewer "safe" places to park money over the near term, with currencies all over the place, and so many "unknowns" out there (debt wise and growth wise). But like I pointed out earlier. these high Ag commodity prices may not last much longer. The high prices will encourage everyone to plant more, and with good weather, there could even be gluts on the market by harvest time. And these are just some of the variables, so you have to be careful. But, If your looking for a safe place to invest, depending on YOUR market, I could see land being attractive. (Unless your land is in Greece).Ha
          Don't listen to me, I'm a wack job.

Comment

I was taught that these are the safest (note safest, not best) solutions for your money:

1. Hard cash
            2. Land/property
            3. Gold

There were no other options.

I was also taught not to buy when everyone buys and not to sell when everyone sells ;) IDK if it works for the rest, but worked just fine for me so far. With that said gold is not an option for me now ;)

With gold going this high I don't find it smart to buy it now. If you have done it 2 years ago, good for you.

As for your comment on buying land in Greece now it's not smart, but in a month or two it will be a bargain I guess.

Am seriously thinking to take Homburg's idea to buy some of the Greek debt ;)

Comment

I'm not too fond of Greek arable land,but I won't say no to a villa in Halkidiki.Alas,I'm a pauper.
              Those who know don't speak
              He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                I'm not too fond of Greek arable land,but I won't say no to a villa in Halkidiki.Alas,I'm a pauper.
                I don't have EU citizenship - dunno if eligible to buy property in Greece, but wouldn't go to Halkidiki, was thinking more like some of the islands

Comment

Bring the money and we'll find a solution t make everyone happy.:Dancing-Banana:
                  Those who know don't speak
                  He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Especially the Greeks

Comment

I'm in Hanoi this weekend, and while riding around my wife said, "You've got to come back here and get a picture of that."

We did.

Giant sign, easily 6 x 10 feet, on the front of the Greek Embassy: For Lease.

No fooling!
                      Trust me?
                      I'm an economist!

Comment

Not for sale? Shame

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                          Not for sale? Shame
                          There are often problems with selling embassy land, not always but in a place like Vietnam my guess is that the land is entirely owned by the government and embassies and consulates have use rights, but not ownership.

Just a guess.
                          Trust me?
                          I'm an economist!

Comment

I was kidding. Leasing is a better option if you are Greek. Sometimes when things are back in normal, you still own the Embassy.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                              I was thinking the same. There are two finite sources: time and land. Since you can't buy time, buy land.
                              Well that worked realll well about 3 years ago....

I don't care much though, I'm don't own much of anything anyway.

I'd guess farmland is probably a good idea , seeing that the world population isnt likely to go down anytime soon.

Comment

Unless you own land in Kashmir and are under constant fear of being nuked :)

Comment

Working...
                                X