• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraq : Explosives attached to dog

This should get the RSPCA into a lather :

Explosives attached to dog

Web posted at: 5/28/2005 2:52:47
    Source ::: AFP

KIRKUK: Iraq insurgents attached explosives to a dog on Thursday in a bid to bomb a military convoy near the northern oil centre of Kirkuk but the animal was the only casualty, police said.

The insurgents wrapped an explosive belt around the dog’s body and detonated it as the convoy passed through Dakuk, 40km south of Kirkuk, the town’s police chief Colonel Mohammed Barzaji said.

“The dog was torn apart by the explosion which caused neither injury among the soldiers nor any damage,” said Barzaji, adding that the bomb had been detonated outside a Shiite mosque.

“Eight suspects have been detained,” he said.

It is not the first time that animals have been used in insurgent attacks

From the pages of history, the Soviet Dog Mine :

The Russian Dog Mine is described in The Book of Heroic Failures Volume I. The weapon was supposed to work as follows: The dogs were kept hungry, and they were only fed underneath running tanks, to familiarize them with the high noise level. The dogs were then trained to get used to carrying a large weight of explosives (T.N.T.) strapped to their backs and sides. In operation, the dogs would be taken to the battlefield, and released when enemy tanks were clearly visible. The dogs would run underneath the enemy vehicles, expecting to be fed, and the device would be set off with catastrophic results for the tank, and the unsuspecting animal, of course.

In actual use, the device did not work as planned. The dogs had been trained underneath Soviet tanks, and they only expected to be fed there, not underneath enemy vehicles. As a result, when they were first deployed in 1941, the dogs immediately made a beeline for the nearest Soviet vehicles. Apparently, an entire tank division had to be withdrawn from the combat zone until the infantry had shot all the uncontrollable mine dogs. The device remained in use, and Soviet sources claim that several enemy tanks were destroyed in this way at the Battle of Kursk. German sources dispute this claim, although it is known that dogs in the combat zone were shot on sight if the use of dog mines was suspected.
    Link.

Comment

What a bunch of scum bags.
      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
        What a bunch of scum bags.
        Within the Iraqi context certainly, within the then Soviet context not so.

Comment

Originally posted by Hari_Om
          Within the Iraqi context certainly, within the then Soviet context not so.
          Both are to me, and I include things like the US bat bomb in that as well. I see straping explosives to an unwilling animal as no different than an unwilling person.
          I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
          even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
          He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Where's PETA?

Comment

Originally posted by Leader
              Where's PETA?
              Busy killing the animals they say they protect...

Comment

I hope ZF doesn't get pissed at me but the IDF did this as well. Hell sorta thinking outside the box provided the bomb goes off in the right place... ;)
                To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Working...
                X