No announcement yet.

China's New Stealth Fighter? (Not J-20)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China's New Stealth Fighter? (Not J-20)

Courtesy of the DEW Line. The image appears to show a second Chinese stealth fighter prototype, definitely not the J-20. There has been talk around the net about a second type in the works....has anyone else seen anything more about this? Maybe over on some of the Chinese Forums (maybe one of the more reliable ones)?

PICTURE: Sneak-peek of new Chinese stealth fighter (NOT J-20!) - The DEW Line

Looks like China may continue to surprise.
    Attached Files
    No One Kicks A$! Without Tanker Gas

My first impression says "F-35 clone"; same intake treatment (complete with BL bulge), same chining on fuselage mid-line, similar canopy, similar access door "sawtooth" treatment (though some of these are common to all stealth planforms).
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

My very amateur eye says fake. Nearly half the pic is black. Not exactly expected of a spy who got so close.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
        My very amateur eye says fake. Nearly half the pic is black. Not exactly expected of a spy who got so close.
        It doesn't seem photoshopped to me (although they're pretty good at hiding that now). What it could be is a picture of a model plane taken up very close with something obscuring half the lens. But then again, who knows. On the other hand it could be a prototype that didn't make it past testing, or as they're speculating on the site, a new twin-seated stealth bomber.

Comment

It looks like the canopy is closed, but I don't see a pilot in there. It is not typical (but not impossible) to close the canopy without someone in there. Even under tow, they often place a ground crew in there to ride the brakes and monitor.

I'd say this is a picture of a model, but it's certainly possible for China to pursue alternate stealth platforms, some public, some black. In fact, I'd be surprised if they weren't doing so.

If I were to guess, the J-20 was made public early in its life as a nationalistic boost, a political statement. "We have the capability to do this."

Comment

I agree that it does look like a lens cap covering the shot. It could be a detailed model, but then again some said the same thing about the first shots of the J-20 before it lifted off. Time will tell. It has been known (or at least highly suspected) that both Shenyang and Chengdu were working on stealth aircraft projects. Chengdu has the J-20 so maybe this is a first look at what Shenyang might have in the works.
            No One Kicks A$! Without Tanker Gas

Comment

Word here is that it's a photoshop, admitted by the 'author'.

Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums - View Single Post - Hot Dog PLAAF Thread 15

Comment

The very same link phoenix provided claims "[UPDATE: The picture is now confirmed as fake. No wonder then it evoked the F-35 so convincingly.]"
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                X