Queen decorates Nepali for Afghanistan heroics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    The fact that he won his engagement does not change the fact that the odds were against him and had the opposition being determined and trained, the odds were even better that he would be in a casket.
    Sir,

His opponents might not have been trained by a professional but they are a determined bunch. And the Gorkhas have fought and prevailed against far better warriors. Japanese being one of them during WWII.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      And I will shake his hand if I ever get the honour of meeting him.

But at the same time, I cringe at such heroics. I would rather him abandon his position and retreated. The fact that he won his engagement does not change the fact that the odds were against him and had the opposition being determined and trained, the odds were even better that he would be in a casket.

I rather have a live sgt than a dead hero any day of the week.

We only hear such stories about the Gurkhas where one prevail against many. We don't hear those about the Gurkhas dying fast and hard trying to live up to their reputation and those stories are not rare.
      From the citation and the articles, I don't think he had a choice to pull back or retreat. From what I've read, he was surrounded. He states that he thought he was going to die, so he figured he'll kill as many talibunnies as he can and take them down with him. Only thing he probably overlooked was, the talibunnies were lacking the manpower to take down a single Gurkha.
      Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
      -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
        Saying that I have a cynical feeling that if this action had been made by a British soldier (possibly other nations) the 'reward' would have been higher. I hope I am wrong.
        Maybe in days gone by, but today & now, seriously

Comment

Working...
        X