Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Victorian Police to be given powers to fine people who swear in public.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victorian Police to be given powers to fine people who swear in public.

The Victorian Government plans to introduce laws this week that will give police permanent power to issue on-the-spot fines to people who swear.

You Yanks think you have it bad?

Beware the swear word or cop a fine - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

The Victorian Government plans to introduce laws this week that will give police permanent power to issue on-the-spot fines to people who swear.

Under the proposed legislation, people could be fined close to $240 for language that is considered indecent or offensive.

Attorney-General Robert Clark says the changes mean police will not have to use the courts to deal with people who use bad language.

"We're going to be confirming the power of police to issue on-the-spot infringement notices for these sorts of offences, which will free up police resources," he said.

"It will also enable them to more effectively act against the sort of loud-mouthed, obnoxious behaviour that can make going out to public places unpleasant for other members of the public."
    I'm disgusted that Ted Balieu has allowed this to go through. Seems as if both sides of the divide are complicit in this horsesh!t as one only expects it from the ALP.
    "Who says organization, says oligarchy"

Originally posted by Wayfarer View Post

You Yanks think you have it bad?

Beware the swear word or cop a fine - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I'm disgusted that Ted Balieu has allowed this to go through. Seems as if both sides of the divide are complicit in this horsesh!t as one only expects it from the ALP.
    A similar money making scheme is proposed in the UK. We have a 9PM 'water-shed' on TV where almost everything goes. You cannot watch a comedy act without the comedians using choice language to the fullest. During the day you cannot watch a football match without the so called top players ranting and swearing at the ref or the cameras. Are the Police going to fine all these people ..not a chance. So, the next guy who pulls out on me or nearly runs me over on a crossing can expect the language the Anglo Saxons left me to master.

Comment

Government coffers are empty, this is a great way to refill them
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
        Government coffers are empty, this is a great way to refill them
        Best way is actually an excise tax on all government workers and their pension. They more they hire, the more taxes they get.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

But then you get a bloated public service sector, everyone is in the government and no one gets any real work done
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
            But then you get a bloated public service sector, everyone is in the government and no one gets any real work done
            We have that right now. Might as well get some money out of it. ;)
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
            X