• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wayfarer View Post
    I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain to me the basic points of

-Deep Battle
    -American Doctrine
    -British Doctrine
    Wayfarer, 'Blitzkrieg' was an improvised strategy rather than a formalized one before the war ... while I'm definitely not a John Mosier fan, his The Blitzkrieg Myth is actually a pretty good book on this topic.

For the Allies, Deep Battle aimed at multiple breakthrough points as opposed to Blitzkrieg, but the doctrine was not in use at the start of Barbarossa as its architects (like Tukhachevsky) had been purged.

American doctrine was based on the French doctrine of the second half of WWI, Methodical Battle, a firepower/positional technique, that was extended eventually to include aerial interdiction (and continued, evolving into the quite recent Air-Land Battle).

British doctrine at the start of the war was in practice similar, with Infantry tanks to bring about the breakthrough, and Cavalry tanks that dashed off to engage the enemy's, which resulted in disaster in 1941-42. Montgomery brought a combined arms approach to his 8th Army that he then imposed on his later commands in Italy and NW Europe.
    Last edited by clackers; 10 Jun 11,, 05:46.

Comment

Working...
    X