No announcement yet.

F-22 To Receive New (Open) System Architecture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horray F-22 on linux :) Open source rules.

Comment

The old AWACS training scopes ran Red Hat. No, really.

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
        So yes, it is subjective to say when a design is "frozen" because as I mentioned there was an ongoing evolution through 2006. But they weren't changes that affected the exterior lines, they were mainly structural and mechanical.
        Will these modifications be incorporated to earlier F-22s? The fleet is small enough that this might be feasible.

Comment

Originally posted by Radical View Post
          Will these modifications be incorporated to earlier F-22s? The fleet is small enough that this might be feasible.
          can' see it happening as the first block models have architectural issues unique to that block release.

it may well not be cost effective to deal with a tranche that in some respects makes them orphans
          Linkeden:
          http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
          http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

gf, a few years ago, over at DT, you linked to an article (don't know if you wrote it or not) regarding the architectural issues of the earlier tranche Raptors.

I'd appreciate it if you can link it again. I wanted to find it again but so far no luck...

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
              gf, a few years ago, over at DT, you linked to an article (don't know if you wrote it or not) regarding the architectural issues of the earlier tranche Raptors.

I'd appreciate it if you can link it again. I wanted to find it again but so far no luck...

Thanks
              not having too much luck myself... I do recall making the statement after attending an airwarfare conference intially around early 2008. I remember because I copped a merciless hiding from the F-22 idealogues who thought I was making things up. It was subsequently mumbled about early 2010 and put in the public domain. The first references started coming out in DefenseNews and JED.

I'll reinforce what I said in early 2010 and that is that the USG decides it's in the public interest, then they will do whatever it takes even with the early tranches:

If the USG determined that continuing the prod line for F-22 was in the national strategic interest, then no doubt they would quite happily boot strap that line.
              that doesn't alter the fact that its not only the Block1's that are architecturally and sustainment challenged, its also that subsequent Blocks has their own unique architectural sustainment and development issues, and that unless the current and latest iteration is architecturally and sustainment "friendly" that any subsequent development would require engineering changes to be attractive.

sooner or later, those who sign off on all these things go to the stakeholders and say "whats the cost of getting it to "x" capability?" what are you prepared to sacrifice to get that capability? (as the bucket is finite) and what tactical leverage is that capability going to bring to the table that we are prepared to sacrifice against other capabilities which other services and projects are screaming are just as if not more important?

I can tell you that from my own exp with USG, I'd rather see some of that money put into the C4-C5 space ahead of either F-22 and JSF - and yet C4-C5 is under attack and people are defending the sexy visible stuff instead.
              Linkeden:
              http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
              http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post
                can' see it happening as the first block models have architectural issues unique to that block release.

it may well not be cost effective to deal with a tranche that in some respects makes them orphans
                What about the structural changes?

In addition, how will they resolve the problem of the first block models having inferior architectures?

I have read before that faulty heat treatment of titanium bulkheads caused the first 80 or so F-22's to be structurally weaker than designed. Have they addressed that issue, and if so, how?

Comment

Returned to Flight status.....

National Harbor: The Air Force has cleared the nation's highest performance fighter, the F-22, for return to flight but the service, unable to pinpoint the reasons for at least one worrying incident of what clearly appeared to be hypoxia, has decided to increase medical monitoring of pilots.

"We now have enough insight from recent studies and investigations that a return to flight is prudent and appropriate," Air Force Chief of Staff Norton Schwartz said in a statement. "We're managing the risks with our aircrews, and we're continuing to study the F-22's oxygen systems and collect data to improve its performance."

A key part of managing that risk will be very close monitoring of pilots' physiology. The service plans to build a medical baseline for all F-22 pilots. When they land, they will be tested if they show any adverse medical signs.

In a question and answer session with reporters today, Schwartz said the Air Force will slowly ramp up flight duties for the F-22 pilots. Each aircraft will be inspected. each pilot will be equipped with "certain protective equipment and data gathering equipment," he said. Each pilot will be trained and brought back up to speed on emergency procedures. I understand that one of the F-22 pilots who suffered from hypoxia apparently ignored warnings from the airplane that his oxygen flow had been cut off as a safety measure. Since the plane performed as expected, that incident did not shape the Safety Investigation Board's conclusions about the oxygen system. But it apparently has shaped the board's recommendations to ensure pilots do not do the same thing again.

Schwartz said the Air Force will also gather more data from the airplane "to build our confidence that we know what is transpiring in the airplane." And that gets to the nub of what happened with the F-22. The service simply isn't sure what went wrong, but is confident that there were few enough incidents that the aircraft is fundamentally safe. "We do not have a smoking gun here. That is the bottom line," he said. But, as Schwartz told us, they gathered the "best minds" to review the aircraft's systems, the safety reports and the 16 test flights flown to gather more data after the F-22 fleet was grounded.

Air Force Clears F-22 To Fly Again; Imposes Extra Safety Measures
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I'm pretty surprised they didn't do this about 2 months ago, honestly. I'm also surprised they're admitting they have no idea what's going on.

Comment

Working...
                    X