USS John F. Kennedy (CVN-79)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS John F. Kennedy (CVN-79)

CVN-79 to be named after John F. Kennedy: Pilot Online article.

Seems to be no hope of getting carriers not named for politicians....

In 2013 we loose the USS Enterprise.
    I had hopes that the name would continue as a capital ship of the line.
    Maybe with the next one.... if there is a next one after CVN-79?
    But with this seeming uncompromising desire on the part of the Navy to name carriers after people.....

Comment

I had hopes that the name would continue as a capital ship of the line
      While I like the name JFK on a carrier, I would have preferred Enterprise myself, for the same reason.
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

There are several planned after CVN-79. In fact the last one is to be launched in 2043 according to the Navy Times. So that would mean 3 more at least going by time to build.

Comment

I hope that members of the crew of CVN-79 do not emulate the behavior of a post war JFK or otherwise their career in the USN will be shortened dramatically. It appears that we have a shortage of role-models. CV-67 was named when Americans if they could, would have put JFK up for sainthood (but now the truth is out, but the truth just does not matter anymore). Now that we have Democratic appointed Sec. Nav. we were bound to get a CVN named after one of their own.

I hope that the name Enterprise is not pawned off on LHA-7. A ship that would be too slow for a proper Enterprise.

Comment

Well, it will be named for a previous carrier and at least JFK was a Navy man.
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

IMO, If anyone thinks the name Enterprise will disappear then you are mistaken. That name has deep roots in Naval heritage being the eigth ship named Enterprise.

The name alone holds more battle stars then any other name in the US Navy.

I strongly doubt you will see that name disappear.
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

But the question is will that name remain on a CV?
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                  But the question is will that name remain on a CV?
                  If they decide to stick with tradition? No doubt. It had resided aboard a capital ship for a very, very long time.

Your out of US Presidents names to use. Clinton will never get one and neither will Obama. Sorry, they didnt serve. Carter had a sub, Ford a new CVN, both Bush's CVN, Reagan CVN etc.

There are some names I would expect to see used again (Washington (when the time comes) Enterprise etc.

Im guessing here but it would seem they are going to have to go back to tradition.

Comment

There are a ton of names on the retired list which could fill in.

I think Lexington, Hornet & Yorktown are on Ae4gis cruisers getting ready to be scrapped or retired.

Enterprise will be around.
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                      If they decide to stick with tradition? No doubt. It had resided aboard a capital ship for a very, very long time.

Your out of US Presidents names to use. Clinton will never get one and neither will Obama. Sorry, they didnt serve. Carter had a sub, Ford a new CVN, both Bush's CVN, Reagan CVN etc.

There are some names I would expect to see used again (Washington (when the time comes) Enterprise etc.

Im guessing here but it would seem they are going to have to go back to tradition.
                      I can see Carter getting a Sub. The other ones you mentioned didn't deserve a Carrier. FDR was the First Presidential CV. More Presidents get a Sub named afer them that a Carrier.

I have no problem with JFK getting another Carier. A Naval Hero and President. What exactly did Reagan, Ford or either Bushes do to distinguish themselves in or for the naval service?

The Big E is in active service. We don't use the same name twice. Wait till she retires.

Lexington, Hornet and Yorktown are CV museum ships. As long as they are around there will not be another CV named for them.

Comment

I can see Carter getting a Sub. The other ones you mentioned didn't deserve a Carrier. FDR was the First Presidential CV. More Presidents get a Sub named afer them that a Carrier.

Very true Grape but technically they did serve in that sense and apparently were popular men with the USN. Even though Reagan was regulated to making naratives for training films perhaps an overalll view of events during their Presidency, support for the USN etc.

Not stating here that they did anything like Kennedy did though and would agree on a new JFK but would also rather they do something with her presently before that happens as you mention..

*Yorktown actually has two afloat, the CV museum and the CG. Her hulk is in PNSY at present.
                        Last edited by Dreadnought; 01 Jun 11,, 04:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                          What exactly did Reagan, Ford or either Bushes do to distinguish themselves in or for the naval service?
                          Bush the Elder was a carrier aviator - he piloted a TBM Avenger in combat in WWII, and was awarded the DFC. Probably the most reasonable of the presidential-named CVNs, actually, even more so than Kennedy.
                          "Nature abhors a moron." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Genosaurer View Post
                            Bush the Elder was a carrier aviator - he piloted a TBM Avenger in combat in WWII, and was awarded the DFC. Probably the most reasonable of the presidential-named CVNs, actually, even more so than Kennedy.
                            I'll disagree with that. Compare JFKs achievements while in public office and his Navy Service. They far outshine Bush Srs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post

Very true Grape but technically they did serve in that sense and apparently were popular men with the USN. Even though Reagan was regulated to making naratives for training films perhaps an overalll view of events during their Presidency, support for the USN etc.
                              Bribes for a Republican Congress to fund another flattop. Popularity should not be an issue.

*Yorktown actually has two afloat, the CV museum and the CG. Her hulk is in PNSY at present.
                              Yea, but only one is a CV. The Navy doesn't have a problem with naming a ship after a museum boat as long as it isn't the same class.

Naming the next CV the JFK tells me that the Navy plans to scrap the old one soon. And realistically, who could afford to maintain her as a museum?

Comment

Working...
                              X