USS John F. Kennedy (CVN-79)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tanker View Post
    Thats great! I invested about 200$ into the Sara Fund and didn't want to see it go to waste. I asked because no one I know has received a news letter in over 2 years from the Sara Group. But I did check out the sara page after I wrote that and scoured a little and found that they were indeed donating their money to the JFK. That will be great. I grew up in RI and worked for NETC Newport as a Police Officer. I was there when they brought the Roberts back, when the sea mines washed up on the officers beach, and a torpedo floated ashore :)
    Though I can understand how all those that were involved and donated to Sara might have gotten lost in the shuffle, I do believe the RIAHOF group should make a serious effort to contact every one of those folks and make them feel a part of the JFK project! I am going to forward your response and some of this thread to the leadership of that project to call their attention to it! I know thy will rectify it!
    Sara still sits in Newport and the JFK folks have and will be on board her again to remove those items that will be preserved on JFK!

Comment

Last time I saw Sara was when she was in PNSY for overhaul. Since I used to work on the river myself and a bunch of other guys got to see her leave underway as well while eating lunch. Hard to miss something like that passing by.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
        Last time I saw Sara was when she was in PNSY for overhaul. Since I used to work on the river myself and a bunch of other guys got to see her leave underway as well while eating lunch. Hard to miss something like that passing by.
        If I can find them I will post the pictures of her and a couple of other boats that are or were docked in Newport the last time I was there on vacation.

Comment

This is a shot of ex USS JFK enroute to PNSY on the Delaware. I took this picture as she was about to pass. Please excuse the date stamp. JFK left Mayport under tow for Norfolk in 2007 then under tow again for PNSY Reserve in 2008. That camera has since been replaced.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Dreadnought; 11 Jan 12,, 21:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            Bribes for a Republican Congress to fund another flattop. Popularity should not be an issue.
            Thinking waaaaaaaaay ahead here, does that mean there will be a USS Romney in the future?
            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Here are pictures from my personal collection. This is the Forrestal and the Saratoga sitting at dock in Newport, RI June 21st 2007

Attached Files

Comment

Saw them both when the left PNSY and one (forrestal) returned. All went through overhaul at PNSY.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                  Thinking waaaaaaaaay ahead here, does that mean there will be a USS Romney in the future?
                  I think you'll agree with me that the USS Bush, Clinton, Obama or Romney don't have quite the same oomph in their names as USS Reagan, JFK, Enterprise, etc... Hell, even USS John C. Stennis sound better than USS Mitt Romney or USS Barack Obama
                  Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

There might be if he decides to rebuild the USN and add carriers and other fleet combat vessels to the water.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                      I think you'll agree with me that the USS Bush, Clinton, Obama or Romney don't have quite the same oomph in their names as USS Reagan, JFK, Enterprise, etc... Hell, even USS John C. Stennis sound better than USS Mitt Romney or USS Barack Obama
                      Well, Romney could get a DDG :D while Obama could get a YP. But based on the past unless Obama or Romney do something that expands the military, primarily the USN, they won't see their names in gray.

Comment

There might be if he decides to rebuild the USN and add carriers and other fleet combat vessels to the water.
                        According to this article, that IS what he is planning on doing:

Wallets Aweigh: Romney's Navy Surge Could Cost $40 Billion | Danger Room | Wired.com
                        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

According to this article, that IS what he is planning on doing:

Wallets Aweigh: Romney's Navy Surge Could Cost $40 Billion | Danger Room | Wired.com
                          Cool, maybe he will get his ship after all!

Comment

USS Obama

A new addition to our powerful fleet
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                            If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Reagan got a carrier because he revived the Roosevelt "Great White Stick" policy. Which is interesting because Clinton made the decision to make the Navy smaller...and scrapped the revived Battle Carrier Groups by dropping the BBs.
                              actually it was Reagan that started the Navy cuts after the fall of the Soviet Union. Bush decided to kill the BBs.

More new and more capable ships were added during the Clinton years than either the Reagan or Bush terms.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                                actually it was Reagan that started the Navy cuts after the fall of the Soviet Union. Bush decided to kill the BBs.

More new and more capable ships were added during the Clinton years than either the Reagan or Bush terms.
                                The Soviet Union fell in 91 and it was Reagan who established the 600 Ship Navy plan which activated the big 3 battleships. In 1984 Casper Weinberger came to Germany to push the Bradley IFV and the M1 Abrams. He came to our battalion as we were the first unit in Germany to have the Bradley and went on about the Reagan Military. The Bradley and M1 Abrams programs continued. The 600 Ship Navy conituned to gain steam until the Clinton era when Billy Boy scaled back all Reagan and Bush era military projects. The Seawolf was one of those 600 Ship projects cancelled by Clinton in 1995.

Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger said Clinton had cut back the military so much that we might not be able to fight a war on terrorism on several fronts. He listed the problems brought on during the Clinton years: lost air and sea lift capacity, two or three years during which nothing was procured for the military, and cuts in R&D.
                                Bill Clinton and the Decline of the Military - HUMAN EVENTS

Comment

Working...
                                X