No announcement yet.

USS John F. Kennedy (CVN-79)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And you better hope people don't get lost. I nearly got lost trying to find my way out of the USS New Jersey and the route was clearly marked out. I ended up just crossing the rope and cutting across the middle part of the deck to reach the exit gangway at the stern.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Well, it's not like a tank ;)
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Rusty, you certainly covered most of the list!
        The RIAHF that is in line for her has most of that covered. I have looked over their site and updates and they really haven't forgotten much of anything. The big benefit they have going for them was when the Navy took Sara out of the running! All the work, preparation and several million dollars were transferred to the new effort. So, they had a pretty good head start. I have emailed the principle in the project a few times. The "housing homeless vets" idea was one of a few different ones that I believe would enhance their effort. They have the State, a lot of officials and the surrounding communities supporting and helping. I think that Navsea offered the JFK partly because of all the furor that resulted from them reniging on Sara!
        They are going to have internal elevators installed!

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
          And you better hope people don't get lost. I nearly got lost trying to find my way out of the USS New Jersey and the route was clearly marked out. I ended up just crossing the rope and cutting across the middle part of the deck to reach the exit gangway at the stern.
          Were the lights out? :)

Just keep walking down the passageway until you find a ladder that goes up.

Repeat until you see the outside... :):)

Or, start tinkering with something you find onboard, they'll find you. :):):)

After the Jersey was decommissioned we still had work on her during graveyard and sometimes we'd go through areas with almost no lights, but there was never any worry that we wouldn't find our way out. :):):):)

Comment

I followed the arrows to the exit, went down some ladder that went somewhere and the arrows just seemed to disappear after a while. I retraced my steps and reverted back to my training. In the armored corps we work in straight lines, and when there's no path, we make a path! :Dancing-Banana:
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
              I followed the arrows to the exit, went down some ladder that went somewhere and the arrows just seemed to disappear after a while. I retraced my steps and reverted back to my training. In the armored corps we work in straight lines, and when there's no path, we make a path! :Dancing-Banana:
              Being serious here, hopefully Dread will check it out because if you didn't see the arrows, I'm sure it happens to other people.

Comment

It could just be that I wasn't looking in the right and obvious places (there's quite a lot of interesting stuff to look at there)

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
                  Being serious here, hopefully Dread will check it out because if you didn't see the arrows, I'm sure it happens to other people.
                  Ill check on it tommorow while aboard.

You know you have been aboard ship awhile when you know where all of the light switches are even in the dark (or can find them very quickly) and what bulkheads they are on.

In your larger spaces, Mess, Broadway, Engineering etc they are panel boxes like your breaker boxes at home. Except alot more breakers that do alot more then they do at home.

Funny thing about most USN ships especially the BB's,CV's and CVN's. Once below deck, there is no walking from Starboard to Port or Bow to Stern without either first climbing up ladder and over and up another or down ladder, across and then down again and across. That is unless you are either in the hangar or the mess decks and even those are only so long in a straight walk.

This is exactly where knowing how to read the "Bullseye" comes into play if your in a hurry.
                  Last edited by Dreadnought; 02 Nov 11,, 23:25.
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by NavyDoc View Post
                    Well....just in case you are interested...a museum she will be! Check out the link
                    USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67 / CVA-67) Aircraft Carrier Project in Rhode Island - RI Aviation Hall of Fame - Home
                    They are through the most difficult two steps with one more to go! Plus, the other group that wanted her for Maine has joined forces with them! It looks like she will be in Newport!
                    Ooooo, Carrier restoration. Right up my alley. I do like working with a big canvas. Although I need to be careful not to overextend myself. Maybe I just need to retire? Nah, I need to go to the office to rest after a day on the ship with the aching knees, hands and other assorted muscles...

Comment

For those of you who may be interested, here is a copy of the latest newsletter from the JFK group in RI.
                      Dear Friends & Supporters,

Thank you for helping to make this a great year so far. We hope you will take a minute to read about what has happened and what is to come!

Call for Help: USS JFK Rhode Island Project Looking for Area Reps Nationwide

At the recent reunion held in Norfolk, JFK Project leader Frank Lennon received a warm reception from former crew members eager to learn about progress in our efforts to bring "Big John" to Rhode Island. Many asked what they could do to help bring this dream to fruition.

As a first step, we need to reach out to the 70,000 or so sailors, marines and air crew who served aboard USS John F. Kennedy. So far we have good contact information on only a tiny fraction of those shipmates.

One way to do that is to establish a network of JFK sailors in every state and large city in the nation. We would provide supplies, information and guidance to this team, who would then reach out in their own local areas to spread the word and identify more shipmates.

Several of you at the reunion volunteered to serve in that capacity, and we will be getting more information out to you shortly.

If you are interested in helping out in this way, please respond to this message with your contact information, or call HQ at (401) 398-1000.

Efforts Underway to Rescue Artifacts and Equipment from Saratoga and Forrestal for Use in the USS JFK Museum Project: Nov 15-17

For some time now, JFK project leadership has been working with the Navy to arrange for the retrieval of material from these two carriers before they are scrapped. One purpose is to replace items that have been removed from CV-67 for one reason or another, such as ready room chairs. Another purpose is to develop the Saratoga exhibit we have committed to have on board Big John, and a third reason for this effort is to provide material for our educational programs.

We transferred more than 100 pallets of material from Forrestal to Saratoga before FID was towed away, and this spring a group of Saratoga sailors came to Newport to rescue historical artifacts (such as the CIC status boards) from CV-60. Because Sara's elevators have been secured at the flight deck level, we must remove all these items from the hangar bays by crane, transfer them to trucks on the pier, then unload them at warehouse space that has been donated as temporary storage.

We are planning to perform this work at Naval Station Newport from 15-17 November. If any of you (especially riggers and truck drivers) can spare the time to help we would love to hear from you - please reply to this message or call (401) 398-1000.

Following our very successful display of the 15-foot long model of USS JFK at the Newport Visitor Center, we wrapped up the summer with a unique promotion. Over Labor Day Weekend, our friends at the Newport Dinner Train sponsored the visit of a 15-ton replica of every child's favorite locomotive, Thomas the Tank Engine. We were invited to also display our F9F Panther jet that we are restoring to honor Marine Captain Ted Williams, who flew the same model in the Korean War.

Thousands of children led their parents to the Newport train depot, where in addition to enjoying Thomas-themed activities at the Imagination Station, they were introduced to a very exciting element of the JFK project.

On behalf of the USS JFK Project, board member Bill Sheridan attended the Annual General Meeting and Conference for the Historic Naval Ships Association in September.

Shop Our JFK or Saratoga Stores ~ Hats, Decals, Challenge Coins

Store ItemsWe are happy to announce that both our JFK and Saratoga ship stores have been re-stocked. We have a fresh batch of low-rise baseball caps (CV or CVA!) embroidered in the USA, heavy-duty stickers for any surface, iron-on patches and heavy, high-quality challenge coins!

Please Consider Making a Tax-Deductible Donation Today

Now that Phase II of the application process has been submitted, one of our main focuses needs to be fundraising, to prove to the Navy that we have the money and the support to pull this project off. Please consider a tax-deductible recurring pledge or a donation of cash or merchandise to show your support.

Comment

Well....just in case you are interested...a museum she will be! Check out the link
                        USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67 / CVA-67) Aircraft Carrier Project in Rhode Island - RI Aviation Hall of Fame - Home
                        They are through the most difficult two steps with one more to go! Plus, the other group that wanted her for Maine has joined forces with them! It looks like she will be in Newport!
                        Won't happen, but... I would have liked to have seen Australia acquire JFK CV-67, give it a major overhaul/update/refit, add some MK 57 PVLS, SeaRAM CIWS, MK 110 57mm guns (for protection against small boats), and load it out with F/A-18F, E/A18G, Sea Gripen (navalized Gipen NG), F-35C if they sort out the tailhook problem, remanufactured/updated S-3 (for COD logisitics), etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                          I can see Carter getting a Sub. The other ones you mentioned didn't deserve a Carrier. FDR was the First Presidential CV. More Presidents get a Sub named afer them that a Carrier.

I have no problem with JFK getting another Carier. A Naval Hero and President. What exactly did Reagan, Ford or either Bushes do to distinguish themselves in or for the naval service?

The Big E is in active service. We don't use the same name twice. Wait till she retires.

Lexington, Hornet and Yorktown are CV museum ships. As long as they are around there will not be another CV named for them.
                          Reagan got a carrier because he revived the Roosevelt "Great White Stick" policy. Which is interesting because Clinton made the decision to make the Navy smaller...and scrapped the revived Battle Carrier Groups by dropping the BBs.

Comment

Please do not take this the wrong way...I have a question and a comment; How is this to be funded? The Quonset Air Museum (QAM) has been working hard with the Saratoga Veterans Group to help acquire "Sara" for a museum park in North Kingston and has had a very hard time getting Rhode Island and the Navy to respond to the Sara. Now, the Sara is to be scrapped. How is the JFK going to be different? What about the Sara organizers and the QAM?

Thanks!

(Former working member of the QAM)

Comment

Originally posted by Tanker View Post
                              Please do not take this the wrong way...I have a question and a comment; How is this to be funded? The Quonset Air Museum (QAM) has been working hard with the Saratoga Veterans Group to help acquire "Sara" for a museum park in North Kingston and has had a very hard time getting Rhode Island and the Navy to respond to the Sara. Now, the Sara is to be scrapped. How is the JFK going to be different? What about the Sara organizers and the QAM?

Thanks!

(Former working member of the QAM)
                              Tanker, the "Sara" group has joined the JFK group. There will be a USS Saratoga museum on board JFK. Because of their hard work and all the prep they did, the JFK effort was enhanced! Plus, they transferred the millions they had acquired and lined up for Sara to the JFK! If you visit their site ussjfkri.org You can look back over the news section and see how things have developed! They have the support and backing of the RI government. That may be one of the most essential to make it happen!

Comment

Tanker, the "Sara" group has joined the JFK group. There will be a USS Saratoga museum on board JFK. Because of their hard work and all the prep they did, the JFK effort was enhanced! Plus, they transferred the millions they had acquired and lined up for Sara to the JFK! If you visit their site ussjfkri.org You can look back over the news section and see how things have developed! They have the support and backing of the RI government. That may be one of the most essential to make it happen!
                                Thats great! I invested about 200$ into the Sara Fund and didn't want to see it go to waste. I asked because no one I know has received a news letter in over 2 years from the Sara Group. But I did check out the sara page after I wrote that and scoured a little and found that they were indeed donating their money to the JFK. That will be great. I grew up in RI and worked for NETC Newport as a Police Officer. I was there when they brought the Roberts back, when the sea mines washed up on the officers beach, and a torpedo floated ashore :)

Comment

Working...
                                X