USS John F. Kennedy (CVN-79)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
    I wasnt alive when JFK was our President. From what I have seen and read he was a pretty remarkable man. His speeches were impressive as was his sterness during his Presidency. Shame the US never got a real chance to see his full potential given some of his achievements IMO. As mentioned, no man is perfect and I'm not too concerned about religion unless we have one thats not a god fearing man. That I would frown upon and vote against on its basis alone. I have no problem with a new Kennedy but just do something with the former before hand. Dont let it sit around and become a deteriorated hulk like many have since retirement. Make decisions.
    I was a little boy when JFK was killed. I remember how sad everyone was, no one was unaffected in my life at the time. At the time, I had the impression it happened downtown in my own small home town, and couldn't figure out which building was the school book depository... I agree, I'd hate to see them let CV 67 rust, they should make it a museum, scrap it or sinkex it.
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

"
      Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
      Why do you think he would have been sent home? Instead he was given another boat and remained in combat."

It is not like he had an aircraft shot out from beneath him in combat (like H.W. Bush). He was master and commander of a vessel that was lost when not even intentionally engaged by an enemy. Skippers lose commands for losing their vessels. I am sure his back was also aggravated by the collision (if was not already on medication- as he was known to have had an extended stay -2 months- in an infirmary -two separate naval hospitals- prior to his deployment).

"How old are you? Have you lived in the south? The attitude in the south is "Better a sister in a Wh@rehouse, that a brother thats Catholic." Was even told by my mothers preacher that He hated that I "Lost my religion" at least I didn't become a catholic. This after telling him that I had no religious preference but that the best religious leader I knew while in the Corps was a Catholic Priest. And this wasn't 40 years ago. It was 4. For JFK to break through that type of attitude and become President says something positive about the man. And no one asked for his birth certificate."

I happen to be my 40's. I have spent almost my whole life in the "south" in MD, VA, and spending time in NC, GA and FLA. I guess I just have not found those back pockets of the south or at least folks have not shown this "hidden" prejudice or I guess I have not traveled in bigoted circles that you have managed to find.

"How about his handling of the Beirut bombing? How did he handle that? By demanding that the MAU commander be sacked for following the State Dept RoE, and invading a Caribbean nation. Didn' speak to the public about the bombing until a few days later. Then only as a side thought to announcing the Grenada operation. France launched airstrikes in the Becaau valley in retaliation. We invaded a island in the Caribbean. Then we cut and ran from Lebanon 4 months later. We showed Muslim Terrorist that if they bloody our nose we will cut and run."

It is the middle east (no one can figure that place out (US Policy in Lebanon dated back to Eisenhower). The US commander had inadequate security at the barracks (poor barricade layout, sentries with unloaded rifles). He deserved to be sacked. Reagan pulled out, after BB-62 New Jersey, CV-62 Independence and even the CV-67 JFK bloodied their nose back. Were these ships to stay and level the city?

"Oh I see this is a I hate Democrat posting. Nothing to do with the merits of the individual. JFK was a Democrat, therefore he is bad. I get it. How about throwing some NASA blame on Bush Jr. He slashed hell out of their budget."

No I don't hate JFK, just that the luster of Camelot is gone. Heck, who approved the production of the Space Shuttles (the craft that has kept the US aloft in space for 30 years) that was President Nixon. The Saturn V, was used for how many years? W. Bush approved the Constellation program that would have eventually taken future Americans to Mars and returned them to the Moon (not to shabby). Now we will have to check the flight schedule for Virgin Galactic.

"And cut and run from Islamic terrorist, South American Terrorist and a made sure we packed our prisons with his "War on Drugs".
      "

Are we let drug addicts have free reign over society? Keep them in prison to prevent burglaries, robberies, manslaughter, murder, and other drug infused violence.
      Last edited by surfgun; 03 Jun 11,, 15:59.

Comment

Keep the thread on track or it gets locked.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
          ""Why do you think he would have been sent home? Instead he was given another boat and remained in combat."

It is not like he had an aircraft shot out from beneath him in combat (like H.W. Bush). He was master and commander of a vessel that was lost when not even intentionally engaged by an enemy. Skippers lose commands for losing their vessels
          He was on a combat patrol. Never heard of a Commander being relieved for losing a vessel due to enemy action.

I happen to be my 40's. I have spent almost my whole life in the "south" in MD, VA, and spending time in NC, GA and FLA. I guess I just have not found those back pockets of the south or at least folks have not shown this "hidden" prejudice or I guess I have not traveled in bigoted circles that you have managed to find.
          Read a few of the threads right here on the WAB and you will see that many Evangelical Christians don't view Catholics as Christians.

Yep traveling around in those Bigoted Marine Corps circles. If you don't have an argument don't resort to personal attacks

"How about his handling of the Beirut bombing? How did he handle that? By demanding that the MAU commander be sacked for following the State Dept RoE, and invading a Caribbean nation. Didn' speak to the public about the bombing until a few days later. Then only as a side thought to announcing the Grenada operation. France launched airstrikes in the Becaau valley in retaliation. We invaded a island in the Caribbean. Then we cut and ran from Lebanon 4 months later. We showed Muslim Terrorist that if they bloody our nose we will cut and run."

It is the middle east (no one can figure that place out (US Policy in Lebanon dated back to Eisenhower). The US commander had inadequate security at the barracks (poor barricade layout, sentries with unloaded rifles). He deserved to be sacked.
          The US commander had inadequate security and we had unloaded rifles because that was the RoEs that the Reagan State Dept forced upon us. We also couldn't fire back while on patrols until we got permission from Washington. The CO was doing what he could with the tools he had. It took the CG refusing to press charges and then threating to resign with a press conference why that got the thing stopped.

[/quote]Reagan pulled out, after BB-62 New Jersey, CV-62 Independence and even the CV-67 JFK bloodied their nose back. Were these ships to stay and level the city?[/quote]

The French retaliated within days. The Jersey and the air strikes didn't happen for months. And they had nothing to do with retaliation that muslim leaders would see. Would I have those ships stay and level the city? No it was a beautiful city and the people were friendly till we started choosing sides.
          Great place, I want to go there on vacation one day.

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
            I agree, I'd hate to see them let CV 67 rust, they should make it a museum, scrap it or sinkex it.
            Don't see how anyone could afford her as a museum. When she belonged to thre reserves lots of maintenance was shipped. They patched her up enough to do one more float but she has been in bad shape for a long time. Hopefully the Navy has started doing a better job at getting ships gone fast. She will go out for bids soon. To much HazMat regs to use her for a SinkEx. We have already used one for test and sunk one for a dive wreck. Won't waste the money cleaning her up.

Comment

Great place, I want to go there on vacation one day.
              If you are in the area, come by here next, we'll sit and chill over beers and water pipe
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I can think of MUCH worse names than JFK for her.. (Clinton, Obama etc if they are going after politicians) but I can think of much MUCH better names, Wasp, Hornet, Yorktown, Saratoga, Franklin, basically any WW2 era carrier that saw major action in battle, or you can go with Midway or Coral Sea, the next generation carriers after the pre WW2 fleet carriers.. then how about Constellation or Kitty Hawk.. again better names...

Comment

Only problem is just like we discussed for a few of them (JFK,Constellation,Kitty Hawk,Saratoga, Ranger, Forrestal) are all still floating and in holding (some in maint cat x) except for Sara.

I do think some of the former CV names should belong to the CVN's though if they hold with traditions.
                  Last edited by Dreadnought; 07 Jun 11,, 05:17.
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Due to a screwed up economy, the cash may be drying up for the CVN's, postponing completion dates and causing a reduction in the number of carriers.
                    Budget Concerns Put Carriers In Crosshairs | AVIATION WEEK
                    Last edited by surfgun; 17 Jul 11,, 20:43.

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                      Due to a screwed up economy, the cash may be drying up for the CVN's, postponing completion dates and causing a reduction in the number of carriers.
                      Budget Concerns Put Carriers In Crosshairs | AVIATION WEEK
                      Well, Eisenhower just finished her refit are there are a few more already scheduled.

IMO, Congress needs to start looking at the true money wasting projects of the US government. Those CVN's will be nearing the end of their hull lives in the next 10-12 years.

Yes, The American people actually got their tax money's worth out of these ships time and time again.

Dam shame they CANNOT state that about the US Congress.:bang:

Comment

Don't see how anyone could afford her as a museum. When she belonged to thre reserves lots of maintenance was shipped. They patched her up enough to do one more float but she has been in bad shape for a long time. Hopefully the Navy has started doing a better job at getting ships gone fast. She will go out for bids soon. To much HazMat regs to use her for a SinkEx. We have already used one for test and sunk one for a dive wreck. Won't waste the money cleaning her up.
                        Well....just in case you are interested...a museum she will be! Check out the link
                        USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67 / CVA-67) Aircraft Carrier Project in Rhode Island - RI Aviation Hall of Fame - Home
                        They are through the most difficult two steps with one more to go! Plus, the other group that wanted her for Maine has joined forces with them! It looks like she will be in Newport!

Comment

A recent pic of JFK tied up in Philadelphia. Well somewhat recent, it was taken earlier this year as the snow will tell the tale. The stern pic was taken during this summer. I also have some real good shots of her tow. The CV to the left is Forrestal.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Dreadnought; 02 Nov 11,, 16:34.

Comment

Just how many Captial ship museums can the East Coast support? When my family visited the USS Massachusetts museum waaaay back in 1995, one of the volunteers said that they were worried about the New Jersey becoming a museum. I don't know if he was worried about BB-62 ending up in Camden, though, maybe it the concern was if she ended up closer to NYC.

Comment

The only thing that may make the JFK successful is that it will serve a number of uses that the other museum ships do not. They are planning on making use of a number of the areas on the ship. I think they should set aside one of the berthing and messing areas and use it for homeless vets! The vets then could do the daily maintenance and repairs in exchange for housing! Plus, one of the sick bays could be used as a clinic. They have plenty of space to set up counseling offices and etc.

Comment

Originally posted by NavyDoc View Post
                                The only thing that may make the JFK successful is that it will serve a number of uses that the other museum ships do not. They are planning on making use of a number of the areas on the ship. I think they should set aside one of the berthing and messing areas and use it for homeless vets! The vets then could do the daily maintenance and repairs in exchange for housing! Plus, one of the sick bays could be used as a clinic. They have plenty of space to set up counseling offices and etc.
                                Doc, Not that it is not an EXCELLENT idea. But will she be able to pull in enough money and donations to keep such areas spotless as they should be and will the city council and new owners of the ship go for it?

The USN is pretty tight about what they allow to happen and equipment that operates onboard their ships, even the "museum" ships.

Can it be done in a feasable, affordable way in this economy?

I mean your looking at a major budget for electricty, plumbing, heating, the ship to be prepared for such a purpose. All of that coming from pierside. Outside of permits (occupation) fire systems to be up and running, inspections (health,fire,occupation etc), a crew on the payroll, CEO, Catering in the mess decks, Janitorial. The list is almost endless.

This does not include the Insurance for all the above.

And aboard a CV thats alllllll climbing ladders as you wont have any of the elevators operational.

I do think it is an EXCELLENT idea though. That is if it can be supported and afforded. With those kind of expenses though IMO, doubfull unless she is adopted by a very rich Uncle/Uncles.
                                Last edited by Dreadnought; 02 Nov 11,, 20:50.

Comment

Working...
                                X