USS John F. Kennedy (CVN-79)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post

I have no problem with JFK getting another Carier. A Naval Hero and President. What exactly did Reagan, Ford or either Bushes do to distinguish themselves in or for the naval service?
    Reagan, of course, did nothing of note except that he was a proponent of the 600 ship Navy in the 80's. Ford, in case you don't know, did distinguish himself aboard CVL-26 USS Monterey. As a Lt. j.g. he commanded a 40mm gun mount. His carrier suffered heavy damage during Typhoon Cobra. So much so that Halsey sent an order that she was to be abandoned. Three boilers out and the hanger deck aflame in fuel. Ford led a fire brigade into the flaming fuel and planes to carry out survivors. This not long after almost being blown overboard while moving across the flight deck to the Island and Captain Ingersoll who wouldn't give up the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
      Bribes for a Republican Congress to fund another flattop. Popularity should not be an issue.

Yea, but only one is a CV. The Navy doesn't have a problem with naming a ship after a museum boat as long as it isn't the same class.

Naming the next CV the JFK tells me that the Navy plans to scrap the old one soon. And realistically, who could afford to maintain her as a museum?
      How about Forrest Sherman? There has been an AB for some time and there is the old girl at Phila. (both Destroyers).
      Last edited by surfgun; 01 Jun 11,, 16:08.

Comment

Since the museum ships and ship to be donated/disposed of have been struck from the Naval Register, there can be two vessels with the same name. As long as only one is on the Naval Register at a given time, everything is fine. This is why USS Missouri can be used (for SSN-780) even though BB-63 is still around.

Comment

Theres also subs named for the others, the problem is though to many that have sailed and others that have worked on them is that they still physically exist without proper (as in when they served, worked or sailed aboard) care. No sailor likes to see their ships in a less then acceptable appearance. Not one I can think of or have ever known.
          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
            Reagan, of course, did nothing of note except that he was a proponent of the 600 ship Navy in the 80's.
            Something he backed by word but not action. It was so bad that the SecNav resigned because he didn't have support from the President for the 600 ship fleet.

Ford, in case you don't know, did distinguish himself aboard CVL-26 USS Monterey. As a Lt. j.g. he commanded a 40mm gun mount. His carrier suffered heavy damage during Typhoon Cobra. So much so that Halsey sent an order that she was to be abandoned. Three boilers out and the hanger deck aflame in fuel. Ford led a fire brigade into the flaming fuel and planes to carry out survivors. This not long after almost being blown overboard while moving across the flight deck to the Island and Captain Ingersoll who wouldn't give up the ship.
            Neither the Navy nor the Capt of the ship felt that he "Distinguished His self". No award recommendation or award presented for those actions. He earned no personal awards

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
              How about Forrest Sherman? There has been an AB for some time and there is the old girl at Phila. (both Destroyers).
              The Forest Sherman (DDG-98) was named after the DD had been stricken and sent to the scrappers. The Navy took the former DD back when the scrap yard went bankrupt. The DDG had been in service for a few years by then.

Same could be said of the Kidd. Was suppose to go to the scrappers when the Iranian DDs were thrust on the Navy and designated the Kidd Class. Only after they were accepted by the US Navy did the Congressman from La get the Kidd (DD) as a Museum ship for the State of La
              Last edited by Gun Grape; 02 Jun 11,, 04:40.

Comment

How come there are no carriers named after Thomas Jefferson? He is the only President of Mt. Rushmore not named on an aircraft carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by jrb1537 View Post
                  Since the museum ships and ship to be donated/disposed of have been struck from the Naval Register, there can be two vessels with the same name. As long as only one is on the Naval Register at a given time, everything is fine. This is why USS Missouri can be used (for SSN-780) even though BB-63 is still around.
                  There can be more than one ship with the same name but they won't be the same class of ship. There may be a CV Yorktown (museum) and a CG Yorktown. There will not be a CV Yorktown and a CVN Yorktown.

Comment

Having a name on a modern cruiser is an honor, it is the modern day Capital surface combantant, a role once filled by the battleship. In a recent thread it was discussed how a fulled SuW equipped modern DDG (or CG) would be probably be able to defeat a battleship (with its tubes filled with the right missiles). While slightly less visually impressive, these large surface combatants are technically more powerful.
                    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

What did JFK do to deserve a carrier named after him? He was good looking and assassinated while in office.
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

... and a rich family that trumpeted his every accomplishment. (They may have sent out announcements when he took his first dump on the potty?)
                        He used family connections to get a commission (due to his physical condition he most likely would not have been able to serve). Showed some mediocre seamanship (Destroyer running over his command). Proved himself as a very able swimmer (including towing an injured shipmate).
                        Last edited by surfgun; 03 Jun 11,, 02:29.

Comment

He used family connections to get a commission (due to his physical condition he most likely would not have been able to serve).
                          And instead of using those family connections to get a cush job, He went to the pointy tip of the spear. Was working in the Office of the SecNav when the Pearl Harbor Attack took place. Transfered to PT boats.

Showed some mediocre seamanship (Destroyer running over his command).
                          Any day you want to prove your superior seamanship skills during night combat and blackout conditions feel free.

Proved himself as a very able swimmer (including towing an injured shipmate).

Consolidated his command and saved the lives of his crew.Got them rescued. Not exactly piddly little stuff.

Later used his PT boat, to provide fire support during th rescue of Marines on Choiseul Island

Was the youngest person elected President, The first Catholic. Started NASA and mans exploration of outer space. Without him, would we have gone to the moon? Stood the Russians down during the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Berlin Crisis. Received the Pulitzer Prize. Actually took responsibility for the Bay of Pigs fiasco and a whole list of other things.

Compare his resume to some of the other Presidents that got Carriers named after them. His isn't the one that will be lacking in accomplishments.

Comment

Got it your a fan.
                            I did not diminish his desire to serve in combat.
                            If after the destruction PT-109, If JFK and his crew were quickly rescued by another PT boat, he would hardly be deemed a hero. He would have been sent home. It was his judgement and his swimming skills that distinguished him.
                            Being Catholic? Big deal I'm Catholic, it is one of the largest religions in the World. I have never felt persecuted by American Protestants.
                            How exactly did he take responsibility for Bay of Pigs? other than he used words to admit that he was a screw up and let the poor bastards down. If he lacked the fortitude to see it through, he should have never let it happen in the first place.
                            Compare him to any other President that had naked pool parties in the basement of the White House. I believe he has been the only one. So he is uncontested. (a true role model for those that will serve aboard CVN-79?)
                            NASA, I have to give JFK his due, but of course BHO has about dismantled NASA - canceled any future Moon/Mars shots for this generation.

Cold War, Reagan cleaned the Soviet's clock, and did it with class and a smile. He never blinked in the face of the Soviet Union. He gave us our airborne laser systems, our modern sea based ABM systems, and got the rail gun technology running. We continue to reap the benefits of the Reagan Administration.

Comment

Got it your a fan.
                              I did not diminish his desire to serve in combat.
                              If after the destruction PT-109, If JFK and his crew were quickly rescued by another PT boat, he would hardly be deemed a hero. He would have been sent home.
                              Why do you think he would have been sent home? Instead he was given another boat and remained in combat.

It was his judgement and his swimming skills that distinguished him.
                              Good judgment/sound decisions under pressure. Thats what normally separates leaders from the rest of the pack.

Being Catholic? Big deal I'm Catholic, it is one of the largest religions in the World. I have never felt persecuted by American Protestants.
                              How old are you? Have you lived in the south? The attitude in the south is "Better a sister in a Wh@rehouse, that a brother thats Catholic." Was even told by my mothers preacher that He hated that I "Lost my religion" at least I didn't become a catholic. This after telling him that I had no religious preference but that the best religious leader I knew while in the Corps was a Catholic Priest. And this wasn't 40 years ago. It was 4. For JFK to break through that type of attitude and become President says something positive about the man. And no one asked for his birth certificate.
                              How exactly did he take responsibility for Bay of Pigs? other than he used words to admit that he was a screw up and let the poor bastards down. If he lacked the fortitude to see it through, he should have never let it happen in the first place.
                              Exactly He was big enough to admit that he was the one to blame as Commander in Chief. Haven't seen a President "Man up" since. To include Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush Jr.

Compare him to any other President that had naked pool parties in the basement of the White House. I believe he has been the only one. So he is uncontested. (a true role model for those that will serve aboard CVN-79?)
                              And we have proof of these "Naked Pool parties" from what sources? A few tell all books? Shall we run down a list of the other Presidents who have Carriers named after them, faults?

Reagan, who when WW2 broke out , requested , and received, transfer from a calvary unit to a motion picture unit. The exact opposite thing that you criticize JFK for. The man of wealth and privilege goes from a desk job into harms way. The Gipper does the opposite. Is that an example of a "True role model for those aboard the USS Reagan"?

How about his handling of the Beirut bombing? How did he handle that? By demanding that the MAU commander be sacked for following the State Dept RoE, and invading a Caribbean nation. Didn' speak to the public about the bombing until a few days later. Then only as a side thought to announcing the Grenada operation. France launched airstrikes in the Becaau valley in retaliation. We invaded a island in the Caribbean. Then we cut and ran from Lebanon 4 months later. We showed Muslim Terrorist that if they bloody our nose we will cut and run.

How about Bush Jr. The drunk than used influence to stay out of combat and get a cushy ANG job instead?

Everyone has faults. When the time came to Man Up JFK did it. Thats what the crew need to know. He deserves a Carrier.
                              NASA, I have to give JFK his due, but of course BHO has about dismantled NASA - canceled any future Moon/Mars shots for this generation.
                              Oh I see this is a I hate Democrat posting. Nothing to do with the merits of the individual. JFK was a Democrat, therefore he is bad. I get it. How about throwing some NASA blame on Bush Jr. He slashed hell out of their budget.

Cold War, Reagan cleaned the Soviet's clock, and did it with class and a smile.
                              And cut and run from Islamic terrorist, South American Terrorist and a made sure we packed our prisons with his "War on Drugs".
                              Last edited by Gun Grape; 03 Jun 11,, 05:47.

Comment

I wasnt alive when JFK was our President. From what I have seen and read he was a pretty remarkable man. His speeches were impressive as was his sterness during his Presidency. Shame the US never got a real chance to see his full potential given some of his achievements IMO. As mentioned, no man is perfect and I'm not too concerned about religion unless we have one thats not a god fearing man. That I would frown upon and vote against on its basis alone. I have no problem with a new Kennedy but just do something with the former before hand. Dont let it sit around and become a deteriorated hulk like many have since retirement. Make decisions.
                                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
                                X