Construction of Queen Elizabeth Class Carriers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Construction of Queen Elizabeth Class Carriers

Found this vid, has some nice footage of the progress being made on the carriers.

Regards

Arty
    "Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations".- Motto of the Gun Crew who have just done something incredibly stupid!!!!

nice videos.. have they made up their minds if they will be a ski jump ramp, or conventional?

Comment

The UK has decided on adopting the F-35C, so cats and traps for the new UK carriers. No need for a ramp.
      Last edited by surfgun; 28 May 11,, 00:45.

Comment

From last I read, I was under the impression that although the decision wasnt made as of yet that the carrier in building would be able to be retrofitted if the case for cats was made. I havent read anything that tells me different. Anyone care to share?
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

While the UK prefers and wants to buy the C series, it still feels some sort of obligation to the B series?

MoD to spend £389m on jump jets it does not need - Telegraph

http://www.dailytech.com/UK+to+Move+...ticle19922.htm

http://www.theengineer.co.uk/story.a...BCE1816323EFA4
          Last edited by surfgun; 04 Jun 11,, 00:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
            From last I read, I was under the impression that although the decision wasnt made as of yet that the carrier in building would be able to be retrofitted if the case for cats was made. I havent read anything that tells me different. Anyone care to share?
            The switch to F-35C and catapult launch/arrested recovery was widely announced as part of the Strategic Defence and Security Review published in October 2010: Ministry of Defence | About Defence | What we do | Policy Strategy and Planning | SDSR | Strategic Defence and Security Review (SDSR)

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
            While the UK prefers and wants to buy the C series, it still feels some sort of obligation to the B series?
            Contractual obligation only. The articles you linked to are quite clear on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Anixtu View Post
              The switch to F-35C and catapult launch/arrested recovery was widely announced as part of the Strategic Defence and Security Review published in October 2010: Ministry of Defence | About Defence | What we do | Policy Strategy and Planning | SDSR | Strategic Defence and Security Review (SDSR)

Contractual obligation only. The articles you linked to are quite clear on that.
              For some strange reason at last I read was that the British owned carrier would be built without the cats which could be retrofitted if required once completed. Has this changed since my last reading?

Comment

The 3rd link in my last post explains the plan.

Comment

Thanks Surf,

This was my last update info on the possibilities.

Queen Elizabeth Class (CVF), Royal Navy Future Aircraft Carrier - Naval Technology

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                    The 3rd link in my last post explains the plan.
                    Inaccurately. The best sources available currently indicate that the plan (albeit a rather loose one) is to complete and commission Queen Elizabeth to a delayed schedule fully fitted with catapults and arrestor gear. Decisions on Prince of Wales to follow (or be revealed) in due course (i.e. whether she will be completed with catapults and arrestor gear, retained in reserve or offered for sale, etc.).

Comment

Working...
                    X