Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In the event of China declaring war on India, which country would be helping India?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They achieved absolute control over Tibet and control over the waters leading into India. India's position just became inferior.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
      They achieved absolute control over Tibet and control over the waters leading into India. India's position just became inferior.
      This unfortunate situation could have been avoided if pragmatic heads had prevailed instead of posturing. I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to mess with a country which suffered close to 1million casualties fighting against a superpower.
      Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Originally posted by 667medic View Post
        I don't understand the cause of the war but certainly don't subscribe to the "back stab theory" propagated in India's history books.
        And you are free to believe that or not because there is no way to rebutt it either way without knowing the official Indian position. Not possible to counter anything the Chinese, Americans or anybody else for that matter says. This is the main problem and for me was the end of the road on this subject.

Will agree that Tibet was the primary reason as there is a general consensus on that. But does that necessarily mean a war has to break out, can't say. The rest you have to piece together from various sources. Is it correct can't say and so on.

So when OOE says this was more of a PR win than a military one, will agree because India clammed up totally about it.
        Last edited by Double Edge; 24 May 11,, 09:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
          And you are free to believe that or not because there is no way to rebutt it either way without knowing the official Indian position. Not possible to counter anything the Chinese, Americans or anybody else for that matter says. This is the main problem and for me was the end of the road on this subject.

Will agree that Tibet was the primary reason as there is a general consensus on that. But does that necessarily mean a war has to break out, can't say. The rest you have to piece together from various sources. Is it correct can't say and so on.

So when OOE says this was more of a PR win than a military one, will agree because India clammed up totally about it.
          So what stopped India from turning the tables on China. If Nehru was willing to foresake Assam, might have as well drawn the Chinese to the plains and then trapped them. I am not a professional analyst like OOE sir or Xinhui but my feeling is that Mao Zedong just gave Nehru a long rope to hang himself. Meaning, Mao prepared for war and negotiation at the same time and when Nehru upped the ante, Mao obliged. Something similar probably happed during the Georgia-Russia conflict. Saskhavilli got cocky and invaded not knowing that the Russians were prepared for him....
          Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

This unfortunate situation could have been avoided if pragmatic heads had prevailed instead of posturing. I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to mess with a country which suffered close to 1million casualties fighting against a superpower.
            And that gives them license to **** us over?

Talk about appeasement.

Comment

They had that when India refused to march into Tibet to restore the DL.

Comment

So what stopped India from turning the tables on China. If Nehru was willing to foresake Assam, might have as well drawn the Chinese to the plains and then trapped them. I am not a professional analyst like OOE sir or Xinhui but my feeling is that Mao Zedong just gave Nehru a long rope to hang himself. Meaning, Mao prepared for war and negotiation at the same time and when Nehru upped the ante, Mao obliged. Something similar probably happed during the Georgia-Russia conflict. Saskhavilli got cocky and invaded not knowing that the Russians were prepared for him....
                I agree that Nehru is solely to blame for this fiasco such as the unpreparedness of the IA and IAF and the sorry state they were in when 1962 war happened. I also blame him for chickening out at the last minute when IA was in a position to reclaim those territories back when the momentum was finally back on India's side. Nehru was a disaster to India but still that doesn't excuse China from being the aggressor.

Comment

Well, not quite. There is a difference between trapping an exhausted force on your home turf and attacking prepared Chinese defences in Tibet. The initial InA problems of weather proofed gear and logistics still existed.

Comment

And that gives them license to **** us over?

Talk about appeasement.
                    Blade we are talking about two countried with different ideoligies.
                    1)China faced a superpower headon and suffered a million casualties, do you honestly believe India is capable of such a thing.

2)China suffered 30,000 casualties to teach a lesson to ungrateful Vietnam, does India command the same fear and respect WRT Bangladesh.

3)China arms the Chinese minorities in Burma and warns Burma from going overboard, India helped destroy LTTE and also allowed the death of Tamil civilians as collateral damage.

4)China defends her Island claims doggedly, India gifts an islan as a personal favour to a neighboring countrie's politician.

I am not talking appeasement, I am talking compromise. I am not saying that India gift territory to earn the right to be called a bitchh as another neighboring country but compromise for mutual benefit....
                    Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                      Great, our work shop is fighting our customer support center...
                      my case would be my coder fighting my system integrator. either way, it will make my life hell.
                      “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
                        my case would be my coder fighting my system integrator. either way, it will make my life hell.
                        My current work has a design team in India. My former work has system integrator in China. So my work is fighting each other...
                        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

1)China faced a superpower headon and suffered a million casualties, do you honestly believe India is capable of such a thing.

2)China suffered 30,000 casualties to teach a lesson to ungrateful Vietnam, does India command the same fear and respect WRT Bangladesh.

3)China arms the Chinese minorities in Burma and warns Burma from going overboard, India helped destroy LTTE and also allowed the death of Tamil civilians as collateral damage.

4)China defends her Island claims doggedly, India gifts an islan as a personal favour to a neighboring countrie's politician.

I am not talking appeasement, I am talking compromise. I am not saying that India gift territory to earn the right to be called a bitchh as another neighboring country but compromise for mutual benefit....
                          India has a far lower tolerance for casualties, yes, but you are wrong if you think that China loosing 30,000 men to Vietnam makes the Vietnamese fear the Chinese. India-Bangladesh relations at the moment are far ahead of Chinese-Vietnamese relations.

As for LTTE, it was a foreign group fighting a foreign army in a foreign land. Moreover, it was a group which had assassinated a previous Indian PM. LTTE had outlived their usefulness (with the Cold War over, LTTE became more of a nuisance) to India, hence were allowed to be taken out. As for collateral damage, tell me a single war fought without such.
                          Last edited by Tronic; 24 May 11,, 19:19.
                          Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                          -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                            Well, not quite. There is a difference between trapping an exhausted force on your home turf and attacking prepared Chinese defences in Tibet. The initial InA problems of weather proofed gear and logistics still existed.
                            I meant recovering Askin Chin. The full force of China's troops retreating back to their lines of logistics necessitated that they retreated back to their original lines. Even the road they captured that linked Tibet with Xinjiang was not enough to resupply those troops. Failure of IA to take back those lands allowed PLA to consolidate their gains into a permanent foothold.

Comment

Perhaps not under the current leadership and if that party gets the lopping of the head off it so richly deserves, I think India is capable of that if India feels that her national survival is at stake. Come on, India stood up to one superpower and one major power at the same time when it severed Pakistan, albeit with USSR support.

When China fought US in the Korean War, USSR practically armed PRC itself to fight against US although Stalin intended to fight US to the last Chinese soldier. China was not alone when she fought against US in the Korean War and tacitly, she was under the nuclear umbrella of USSR during the Korean War. Why did you think Truman fired MacArthur when MacArthur was advocating the use of nukes against China. MacArthur nor the US did not fear China. They feared the USSR.

Actually Bangladesh finally wants to do business with India. It is India that Bangladesh needs. India does not need to command fear or respect WRT Bangladesh because there is no necessity for that. It is simply unavoidable that in order for Bangladesh to thrive, it will have to deal with India on India's terms. No ifs, buts and ors about it. Geography demands that. Not even China can force India to concede WRT Bangladesh and China knows this. India holds the cards and China is smart enough to know that.

LTTE turned rabid. When a dog turns rabid, you don't hesitate to put that animal down. What India failed is to find a replacement for LTTE. But there is still hope. There's a sizable Tamil minority that the Sinhalese cannot just wish away and that minority has a strong base of supporters that are now in the open in India after LTTE had been finally defeated. That is something that India did not have before because LTTE necessitated those supporters into hiding after LTTE whacked one of our leaders. Now the supporters are out in the open, I wouldn't be surprised that in the coming years, the Tamil minority have more political and economical clout than ever before.

I never heard that India gifted an island to a neighboring country. Please provide the source and news.
                              Last edited by Blademaster; 25 May 11,, 17:20.

Comment

It would have been a tough fight with no guarantee of an acceptable outcome. The Chinese may have been exhausted but the lack of winter gear and logistics would have played havoc on any Indian advance.

Given the two, I would have given the advantage to the Chinese. Yes, they were exhausted ... but they can recover. The same cannot be said of the Indian forces. The advancing Indian column has to win fast and win hard, failing that, the advantage falls to the Chinese and falls big time to the Chinese.

Comment

Working...
                                X