American Migration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Migration

Just ran across this fascinating map widget that shows the 2008 migration to and from any US county you click on. Detroit is brutal.

Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes.com

In my home county, nobody moved more than one county away. Gotta love hillbillies...
    I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Fascinating map. You can watch both people and wealth flow in and out.

I knew my own county (Tarrant, TX right next to Dallas) was going to be huge, and it was. Growth has been phenominal. It's interesting to contrast some of the more active and urban counties vs. rural counties. I clicked on one in Iowa that had just a single line to the neighboring county... probably a marriage! ;)

Comment

Here's an unusual one: Los Alamos county. Rural county, but some really long moves. I'm guessing this is related to the lab.

Comment

Oak Ridge has a couple of long moves, too, and rural military bases show a similar pattern.

The differences in income of people moving in different places is also interesting. I was trying to look at Camp Lejeune, but that's drowned out by Jacksonville, which must royally suck because people are running away like it's on fire (I begin to understand Julie's disregard for the area...). There's even people moving to Detroit. Per capita income of those 47 people? $7,400. Still more people coming in from Detroit than leaving for Detroit, though. On the other end of the scale, per capita income moving from Manhattan to Dallas: an even $100,000. Slightly less if you're going to San Francisco or Boston.

Comment

Actually I think it was Emily that hated J-ville. Our lovable THL,the former wife of a jarhead .

The reason that you see the large migration from J-ville(Onslow County) is from Marines receiving orders to another duty station.

You would probably find the same around most military bases. I noticed it when I checked Bay , Escambia and Okaloosa counties in Fl(Tyndall AFB, P-Cola Naval Base, Eglin AFB) .Ft Bragg isn't as extreme because it falls within 6 different counties. Cumberland being the biggest (Fayettville)
          Last edited by Gun Grape; 13 May 11,, 04:22.

Comment

What happened to THL? Is she married to Confederate?

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
              What happened to THL? Is she married to Confederate?
              Yes she is, and a new child getting on for two years old.
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

No wonder...my county and LA county have been getting a crap load of people from the northeast, likely rich liberals looking for better weather, and in turn changing this place to kommieland...

On the other hand, maybe those are conservatives in liberal northeast looking for better weather and less liberal crap hole.

I'm just glad northeast is losing people.
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

great map, loved it. very informative. they should make an international one. the amount of Americans living in London right now is no joke
                  sigpic

Comment

Gunnut opines

I'm just glad northeast is losing people.
                    Why?

Why would you care one way or the other?

Comment

Originally posted by tomkent45 View Post
                      great map, loved it. very informative. they should make an international one. the amount of Americans living in London right now is no joke
                      As I could see same applies to Prague.
                      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                      X