You Command Team - Offense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M551 View Post
    I realize the necromancy, but it did say allowable if the content was new, so hopefully...
    I would keep most of Mr. Albany_Rifles' choices as they are excellent, however:

II Corps goes to James Longstreet

Cavalry re-organized:

Cavalry Sheridan

1DIV Stuart
    2DIV Buford
    3DIV Gregg
    1DRAGOON BDE Wilder
    Reserve BDE Custer
    Reserve BDE Wheeler

Hrs.ARTYBAT Alexander

For QMst can we take demotions in this scenario?
    Then maybe Halleck or Mc Clellan
    I like your cavalry reorganization. I believe that with regard to strategic vision and operational art, Sheridan was the man. Where the cusp of operational art meets tactics, I'll take Buford. Pure tactician, Jeb Stuart was pretty damn good . . . when he kept his head in the game.

McClellan cab be your G-1/G-4. He had a feel for it; although he'd be a much better G-4 than G-1 in my opinion. Got to give the devil his due at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
      One thing that surprised me (in relation to Gettysburg) is the number of Prussian officers in the Army of the Potomac.
      Minnie,

You might also be interested in this little bit of history. Jews have served with gallantry in every war the US has ever fought, and no less so the Civil War. Brevet Brigadier General Frederick Knefler's performance in battle was nothing short of remarkable, but he has another curious point of interest affixed to has name, and that was his close association with Major General Lew Wallace. Wallace is famous for having written a little book that when turned into a film by Cecil B. DeMille, made a big star out of Charleton Heston; Ben-Hur.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
        Minnie,

A lot of them were Forty-Eighters...some got out ahead of the hangman's noose! Also many were Turners.

They were damn fine soldiers (okay, not Franz Sigel!) and the largest single immigrant group to serve the Union. Wherever Germans settled they were staunch Unionists and MANY were abolitionists. Though soem served in the Confederate forces it was more due to the fact they were 2nd/3rd generation than immigrants. In fact there were strong pockets of Unionism throughout the South, often headded by German populations (see Fredericksburg, TX).

The Wiki has a pretty good explanation for a quick overview.

German Americans in the Civil War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        19th century and before compare favourably with our age when it comes to opportunities and flexibility.You have officers taking a leave,going to the other side of the world,fight a war there,return to their country to fight another.If you resign,no black marks in the personnel file.

Great age.
        Those who know don't speak
        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

AR, on the topic of 48ers, I recall that you believe some had been unjustly blamed as scapegoats in Gettysburg? Who were the best German American generals, in your opinion? Okay, it's a minor derail....
          All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
          -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Captain....agree on Little Mac. But I think Monty Miegs was topnotch in the actual role.

As for G1...there was no comparable position in the ACW Army. A central personnel system did not exist. If it had I would nominate Halleck.

Triple C....let me think about that.
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

I would rather have George Minty rather than Wheeler. Look at the combat record between those two, and often Wheeler had more men in those engagements. So unless one was planning on using your reserve brigade for raiding I wouldn't actually even want Wheeler as I can think of a number of Brigade commanders I would rather have (Hampton, Devin, Chapman, Kidd, Wilson etc.).

Comment

Jimbo

Tomato, Tomahto.

No real disagreement.

George Minty was my second or third alternate...probably behind Hampton. My selection of Wheeler was with a thought of allowing him more freedom and independent movement.

Within a more structured AOP like command structure I would take Minty or Hampton over Wheeler.

And Triple C, I have not forgotten your question from late September.
                Mark Twain

Comment

I think immigrants, especially German 48ers, is going to be my next reading project on the ACW.
                  All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                  -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Triple C,

Schimmelfenning & von Steinwehr and their subordinates all fought well in very tough circumstances at Gettysburg. They were dealt a very difficult deck of cards to play. Barlow's wrongheaded move forward leaving his right flank in the air (against the expressed recommendation fo his subordinates, caused the collapse of the entire line. And the terrain as you moved closer to town became much more restrictive...all roads lead into the town square. A logjam was guaranteed.

In the AOP the was a prejudice against Germans early on...much less so in the West. It is a rather puzzling point considering what teh Germans brought as a culture...educated, hard working, dedication....beer. The language barrier, though, was really held against them.

Interestingly, when the 11th Corps went west to Chattannoga (and later amalgamated with the 12th Corps into the 20th Corps) they were seen as a very good outfit.

They suffered from the poor showings of their early leaders (Sigel, Schurz), rather unfairly.
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X