Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Osama Bin Laden is dead and his corpse is in US hands.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God Bless the boys

My day couldn't start on a better note.
    I say, mumyfy the bastard and keep that for ages for scums like him to see and realize, that this will be their final destiny.

And may I, have a few pegs with Gen Shuza Pasha sometimes soon?;)
    Last edited by Deltacamelately; 02 May 11,, 11:47. Reason: missed the n't
    sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

• The Pakistanis are not reacting at all! I don't know if that's out of shock or fear of jihadi repercussions. I still can't believe that the US pulled it off without informing Pakistanis, but if they have done just that, then its just fantastic and the Pakistani reaction is understandable.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
        Interesting thesis, but it doesn't fit the facts. If it was tradeoff and the Pakistanis knew where he was all along, why wait 9 months to order the hit?
        JAD,sir,OBL was there in a golden cage.But for ISI to let the man roam free is simply impossible.I have no idea why the wait(could be anything),but if the Americans knew where he was,they also knew he was in Pakistani hands.The very fact that it was such a long wait proves however there was no reason to hurry.Your guys were certain he was not getting out alive.Those are the only facts we have so far.Much is yet to be told,but given the stakes in this matter,I won't care too much about what the officials say,but try to read between the lines.
        There is no truth in news and no news in truth.
        Those who know don't speak
        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• From Abbottabad, Live-Tweeting the bin Laden Attack - India Real Time - WSJ
          May 2, 2011, 1:28 PM IST

From Abbottabad, Live-Tweeting the bin Laden Attack

A man in Abbottabad, the town where Osama bin Laden was killed by the U.S. on Monday, inadvertently live-tweeted the attack as it started on Sunday.

Twitter
          Screengrab of Sohaib Athar’s twitter page.

The man, who uses the Twitter handle “ReallyVirtual”, identifies himself as Sohaib Athar, “an IT consultant taking a break from the rat-race by hiding in the mountains with his laptops.”

Around 11 hours ago, according to the Twitter timeline, Mr. Athar first tweeted about a helicopter hovering above him at 1 a.m., saying it was a “rare event” for Abbottabad. That would have been at about 3.30 p.m. Eastern time on Sunday.

Still, Mr. Athar seems to have thought of it as a mere annoyance, as his next tweet was “Go away helicopter – before I take out my giant swatter :-/”

Within minutes, he tweeted: “A huge window shaking bang here in Abbottabad Cantt. I hope its not the start of something nasty :-S”.

After a while when the sound of the helicopter stopped following a blast, Mr. Athar tweeted “seems like my giant swatter worked !”

That was followed by a Twitter discussion about what had happened. He wrote to “@m0hcin the few people online at this time of the night are saying one of the copters was not Pakistani…”

Mr. Athar noted that “Since taliban (probably) don’t have helicpoters, and since they’re saying it was not ‘ours’, so must be a complicated situation#abbottabad”

Over the next two hours, Mr. Athar exchanged messages with a few other Twitter users about what had happened, learning that there was a helicopter crash. They wondered whether it was an attack or an accident.

“And now I feel I must apologize to the pilot about the swatter tweets :-/” tweeted Mr. Athar. He retweeted “ibi2010 Ibrar Ali , who said: 1 dead and 1 injured in Abbottabad for heli crashed.”

Mr, Athar seems to have gone offline for a few hours, resurfacing this morning to tweet: “interesting rumors in the otherwise uneventful Abbottabad air today.” Shortly thereafter, Mr. Athar figured out what had happened.

He retweeted a tweet from Munzir Naqvi: “I think the helicopter crash in Abbottabad, Pakistan and the President Obama breaking news address are connected.”

Mr. Athar was clearly unhappy.

“I guess Abbottabad is going to get as crowded as the Lahore that I left behind for some peace and quiet. *sigh*”

Shortly thereafter, another Twitter user confirmed the news. Mr. Athar tweeted “RT @ISuckBigTime: Osama Bin Laden killed in Abbottabad, Pakistan.: ISI has confirmed it << Uh oh, there goes the neighborhood :-/””

As the Twitter world discovered Mr. Athar’s live tweets from last night, thousands of followers have added him in the last few hours.

Two hours ago, he wrote: “Uh oh, now I’m the guy who liveblogged the Osama raid without knowing it.”

Mr. Athar has apparently also been bombarded by email and other requests. “For the people who are trying to email me to reach me, I simply can’t filter out the notifications from the emails :-( “ he wrote.

Mr. Athar opened his Twitter account in May 2007, and had only around 750 followers as of April 30, according to Web site twittercounter.com. He now has around 13,000 and counting.

Follow Ms. Anand @shefalianand.

Copyright 2008 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. Distribution and use of this material are governed by our Subscriber Agreement and by copyright law. For non-personal use or to order multiple copies, please contact Dow Jones Reprints at 1-800-843-0008 or visit

Dow Jones Reprint Solutions

Comment

• Congrats to all men who participated in this Op and for making world a little bit safer. I hear that he died from a single shot in his head and has been buried in sea. Thats' good news however he should have been treated just like he treated his prisoners...his throat slit - body kicked - Video Shot and posted and body cremated ONLY after 24 hours.

Comment

• http://video.foxnews.com/v/4671825/n...ylist_id=87485

Updates:

Raid was launched in 4 helicopters from Afghanistan, 1 had a mechanical problem.
              ~40 Navy Seals, half of which entered the compound.
              They had been practicing for over a week.
              OBL was offered a chance to surrender before the shooting started.
              Pakistanis were not informed before the mission was under way.

Comment

• Yeah I heard that also, 40 Navy Seals. Not small in which Obama's speech indicated. But you know what, a large enough force, too handle anything Pakistani would of threw at them if they dare. This was a sure go thing here.
                sigpic

Comment

• Bin Laden Captured Through Detective Work - NYTimes.com

May 2, 2011
                  Detective Work on Courier Led to Breakthrough on Bin Laden
                  By MARK MAZZETTI and HELENE COOPER

WASHINGTON — After years of dead ends and promising leads gone cold, the big break came last August.

A trusted courier of Osama bin Laden’s whom American spies had been hunting for years was finally located in a compound 35 miles north of the Pakistani capital, close to one of the hubs of American counterterrorism operations. The property was so secure, so large, that American officials guessed it was built to hide someone far more important than a mere courier.

What followed was eight months of painstaking intelligence work, culminating in a helicopter assault by American military and intelligence operatives that ended in the death of Bin Laden on Sunday and concluded one of history’s most extensive and frustrating manhunts.

American officials said that Bin Laden was shot in the head after he tried to resist the assault force, and that one of his sons died with him.

For nearly a decade, American military and intelligence forces had chased the specter of Bin Laden through Pakistan and Afghanistan, once coming agonizingly close and losing him in a pitched battle at Tora Bora, in the mountains of eastern Afghanistan. As Obama administration officials described it, the real breakthrough came when they finally figured out the name and location of Bin Laden’s most trusted courier, whom the Qaeda chief appeared to rely on to maintain contacts with the outside world.

Detainees at the prison at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, had given the courier’s pseudonym to American interrogators and said that the man was a protégé of Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the confessed mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks.

American intelligence officials said Sunday night that they finally learned the courier’s real name four years ago, but that it took another two years for them to learn the general region where he operated.

Still, it was not until August when they tracked him to the compound in Abbottabad, a medium-sized city about an hour’s drive north of Islamabad, the capital.

C.I.A. analysts spent the next several weeks examining satellite photos and intelligence reports to determine who might be living at the compound, and a senior administration official said that by September the C.I.A. had determined there was a “strong possibility” that Bin Laden himself was hiding there.

It was hardly the spartan cave in the mountains where many had envisioned Bin Laden to be hiding. Rather, it was a mansion on the outskirts of the town’s center, set on an imposing hilltop and ringed by 12-foot-high concrete walls topped with barbed wire.

The property was valued at $1 million, but it had neither a telephone nor an Internet connection. Its residents were so concerned about security that they burned their trash rather putting it on the street for collection like their neighbors.

American officials believed that the compound, built in 2005, was designed for the specific purpose of hiding Bin Laden.

Months more of intelligence work would follow before American spies felt highly confident that it was indeed Bin Laden and his family who were hiding in there — and before President Obama determined that the intelligence was solid enough to begin planning a mission to go after the Qaeda leader.

On March 14, Mr. Obama held the first of what would be five national security meetings in the course of the next six weeks to go over plans for the operation.

The meetings, attended by only the president’s closest national security aides, took place as other White House officials scrambled to avert a possible government shutdown over the budget.

Four more similar meetings to discuss the plan would follow, until President Obama gathered his aides one final time last Friday.

At 8:20 that morning, Mr. Obama met with Thomas Donilon, the national security adviser; John O. Brennan, the counterterrorism adviser; and other senior aides in the Diplomatic Room at the White House. The president was traveling to Alabama later that morning to witness the damage from last week’s tornadoes. But first he had to sign off on the final plan to send intelligence operatives into the compound where the administration believed that Bin Laden was hiding.

Even after the president signed the formal orders authorizing the raid, Mr. Obama chose to keep Pakistan’s government in the dark about the operation.

“We shared our intelligence on this compound with no other country, including Pakistan,” a senior administration official said.

It is no surprise that the administration chose not to tell Pakistani officials. Even though the Pakistanis had insisted that Bin Laden was not in their country, the United States never really believed it. American diplomatic cables in recent years show constant American pressure on Pakistan to help find and kill Bin Laden.

Asked about the Qaeda leader’s whereabouts during a Congressional visit to Islamabad in September 2009, the Pakistani interior minister, Rehman Malik, replied that he “’had no clue,” but added that he did not believe that Bin Laden was in the area. Bin Laden had sent his family to Iran, so it made sense that he might have gone there himself, Mr. Malik argued. Alternatively, he might be hiding in Saudi Arabia or Yemen, or perhaps he was already dead, he added, according to a cable from the American Embassy that is among the collection obtained by WikiLeaks.

The mutual suspicions have grown worse in recent months, particularly after Raymond Davis, a C.I.A. officer, shot two men on a crowded street in Lahore in January.

On Sunday, the small team of American military and intelligence operatives poured out of helicopters for their attack on the heavily fortified compound.

American officials gave few details about the raid itself, other than to say that a firefight broke out shortly after the commandos arrived and that Bin Laden had tried to “resist the assault force.”

When the shooting had stopped, Bin Laden and three other men lay dead. One woman, whom an American official said had been used as a human shield by one of the Qaeda operatives, was also killed.

The Americans collected Bin Laden’s body and loaded it onto one of the remaining helicopters, and the assault force hastily left the scene.

Obama administration officials said that one of helicopters went down during the mission because of mechanical failure but that no Americans were injured.

It was 3:50 on Sunday afternoon when President Obama received the news that Bin Laden had tentatively been identified, most likely after a series of DNA tests.

The Qaeda leader’s body was flown to Afghanistan, the country where he made his fame fighting and killing Soviet troops during the 1980s.

From there, American officials said, the body was buried at sea.

More in Asia Pacific (3 of 50 articles)
                  Afghans Fear West May See Death as the End

Read More »

Comment

• A military/intelligence retirement community less than 2 hours north of Islamabad.
                    No wonder Pakistan had no idea where he was!

Well done, and if I read the reports correctly, without American casualities.
                    Extremely well done!
                    Trust me?
                    I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
                      A military/intelligence retirement community less than 2 hours north of Islamabad.
                      No wonder Pakistan had no idea where he was!

Well done, and if I read the reports correctly, without American casualities.
                      Extremely well done!
                      and also 700 mets from Pak Army training academy [equivalent of US west point] . Yeah the paks didnt know about it at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                        JAD,sir,OBL was there in a golden cage.But for ISI to let the man roam free is simply impossible.I have no idea why the wait(could be anything),but if the Americans knew where he was,they also knew he was in Pakistani hands.The very fact that it was such a long wait proves however there was no reason to hurry.Your guys were certain he was not getting out alive.Those are the only facts we have so far.Much is yet to be told,but given the stakes in this matter,I won't care too much about what the officials say,but try to read between the lines.

There is no truth in news and no news in truth.
                        That's just pure speculation. Think about all the wanted criminals who get around in our own countries for a very long time without being captured. It would have been easier still for one man of means to live in a country of 170 million people, where most men where headgear and have a beard, without being noticed. You can "read between the lines" all you want, but the fact is that you or nobody else who only has access to material in the public domain actually knows how the intelligence leading to his assasination was obtained or whether there was any deal between the Pakistani's and the US, and we probably won't for a very long time if ever.

Edit - it seems we do know how the intelligence was collected from the article posted around the same time as this post. No mention of any deals with Pakistan, just good intelligence work. Well done.
                        Last edited by Aussiegunner; 02 May 11,, 10:25.
                        "There is no such thing as society" - Margaret Thatcher

Comment

• Originally posted by ambidex View Post
                          A Pakistani Urdu Channel is saying that probably anti air craft gun was used to down Helicopter.
                          However it was damaged, the team blew it up as they withdrew. i'm wondering whether that is SOP regardless of the area it's lost in.
                          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Friends,

I'm wondering no body raises critical questions about the dead body. That must be a good riddance provided that he is the original version of Obama. So far, I have not seen anything except his wicked face on the media. I want the US intelligence to produce some substantive evidence that corroborate their claims.

I don't want to have a party unless I am assured of this good riddance :)
                            Peace, Peace, Peace

Comment

• Good riddance... and congrats to all who made the ridding possible.

Comment

• And the word now is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,VIGILANCE .

Comment

Working...
                                X