Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Osama Bin Laden is dead and his corpse is in US hands.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The choppers either penetrated the airspace or simply diverted from a Pakistani airbase.

You tell the Pakistani, "good dinner and all,on our way to Afghanistan". Then you "loose your way" and land on top of OBL's head. Do that "emergency landing thingi" for 40 minutes and then give all okay, on our way back to Baghram.

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
      Yes, I mean look at all the groups that stage out of Pakistan and launch attacks inside Pakistan and elsewhere. If you can't track taliban or find a man living in a million dollar compound down the street from your main military academy, you won't notice a SEAL Team. Unless of course your willing to admit the ISI knew where he and other militants were all along?
      He lived in a compound, the neighbours whom lived there were in absolute shock when they found out OBL was living there. Its quite easy to keep a low profile in Pakistan, stop thinking from an American point of view.

Originally posted by zraver View Post
      Well I don't doubt the ISI knew where the Americans wanted to go, who they wanted to get when they got there, and where "where" actually was. Everyone knew the US was hunting him.

If anything the SEAL grabbed up some Pakistani military attache threw him in the helo, breifed him on the flight over and after relieving him of the ability to let anyone know where he was or what he now knew.

We both know if the US had spilled the beans before OBL was already dead the compund would have been empty.
      So nothing but speculation on your part, i respect your opinion Sir but i would rather take the word of a man who gets info like this first hand from the people on ground. Some people are saying that helicopters took off from Tarbela, so Pakistan knew about this operation all along. Pretty much all the top Al Qaeda leaders that have been caught have been with ISI's help. Anyways, there is no point in squabbling over these small things whether it was Pakistan or US. Bottom Line is, he's dead and its a great day for both Pakistan and US.
      Last edited by notorious_eagle; 02 May 11,, 15:33.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agnostic Muslim View Post
        Small cells living amongst civilians and carrying out small scale terrorist attacks using homemade bombs is one thing - flying an assault force in half a dozen choppers across Pakistan towards the Capital and military academy and carrying out an operation for 40 minutes (expecting heavy resistance and gunfire) and simply expecting no response from Pakistani security forces throughout the duration of the operation is simply absurd.

Why would Pakistanis security officials suspect a house built a few KM from the Pakistan Military Academy?

No we do not know that - only conspiracy theorists such as you 'know that'.

If that was the case, Pakistan would not have caught Khalid Sheikh Mohammed or the numerous other Al Qaeda operatives.
        And that too from Pakistani troops from elite Kakul Academy, these Hollywood fantasies are making me giggle :P

Comment

• Hazrat Osama Bin Laden will be lying in lap of 73 "lovely virgins" in heaven as he was shedding the human blood just to enjoy those lovely "virgins" of heaven. *sarcastic* LOL
          Peace, Peace, Peace

Comment

• Well done and congratulations to all Americans and its allies who fought in afghanistan. Now its very clear that Osama has been harboured by powers that be in Pakistan for a long time , causing several deaths and deserve to be declared state sponsorer of terrorism by UN.

Comment

• Should now the Pakistani nation stand up and cry for the American forces to liberate themselves from these state-sponsored monsters terrorists? I also love drones but this kind of operations, I suppose, are more effective. Some people from Pakistan says: "God Bless America".
              Peace, Peace, Peace

Comment

• A voice from Pakistan (Op-Ed)

Gotcha!

by Nadeem F. Paracha on May 2nd, 2011

The news the world had been waiting for ever since the United States declared war against Al-Qaeda in 2001 has finally arrived: Al Qaeda’s numero uno, the most wanted man in the world, Osama bin Laden has finally been killed.

According to reports coming in at the time of writing this piece, the wealthy Saudi turned Islamist terrorist died in an attack on his hideout just outside the quiet Pakistani city of Abbotabad.

The unprecedented operation was carried out by a team of US marines that had been monitoring Laden’s movements in the area for the last many weeks.

A lot more detail report is expected to come in, especially after US President, Barak Obama, went live on television to give the news to his people and the world at large.

As CNN and BBC were showing thousands of Americans gathering outside the White House, cheering the news, the sounds and sights coming from Pakistani channels are at best bizarre.

As news anchors shoot away reading the fast unfolding news, they seem unsure whether to describe Osama’s reported death as ‘wo marey ja chukey hein’ or ‘mara ja chukka hai’, – both mean ‘Osama has been killed’, but the first sentence uses words like ‘chukey hein’ that in Urdu and Hindi is used to give respect to someone older. (Even Musharf is using same words, in his respect)
                So, as Pakistani newscasters (especially on the ever-animated hyperbolic private channels), continue to zigzag between ‘chuka’ and ‘chukey,’ it was only a matter of time before we began seeing what is called the ghairat brigade, or the pride brigade take their seats in front of the camera.

Pakistan’s private TV channels are brimming with the most gung-ho characters of this brigade – talk show hosts with an addiction for anything conspiratorial and rhetorical, and never far from using sheer jingoism to give weight to the shenanigans of the Pakistani right-wing, especially regarding the rightists’ blinding hatred for the US, the West, India and Pakistani politicians.

So until the writing of this piece, and merely an hour after the news about Osama’s death poured in, the usual suspects in this respect are up and running questioning the validity of the report.

The two star anchors of big media houses started behaving as if their jobs are now on the line since Osama is dead and America seems to have won at least this aspect of its war against al Qaeda. Then one after the other they started breaking with a photo which was published on the internet sometime in 2009.

The cynical display is quite pathetic, almost akin to the shock the loud mouthpieces of the agitated right-wing exhibited when Raymond Davis made a smooth exit from Pakistan, on the behest of Pakistan’s security agencies that, ironically, were alleged to have been propping up a number of media men and politicians such as Imran Khan to pump up anti-Americanism in Pakistan.

Respected journalists and analysts like Najam Sethi, Ayesha Siddiuqa, Hasan Askari and Farrukh Saleem are right to suggest that large sections of the country’s intelligence agencies are using certain media personnel and politicians to drown America’s concerns about Pakistan protecting certain al Qaeda members and those belonging to
                militant Islamist outfits that America says the Pakistani establishment considers to be ‘friendly.’

Nevertheless, whereas the largely knee-jerk and quasi-reactionary narrative peddled in the name of ghairat in the media and from the mouths of some politicians and TV anchors is now sounding as empty as empty can be, the government and the military-establishment will have to think on its feet.

With Osama’s dramatic demise, the Pakistani establishment cannot hide anymore behind the padding its clumsy doings in the war against terrorists was being provided to them by sympathetic media men.

They have to answer one very simple question: In spite of the Americans claiming that Osama was hiding somewhere in Pakistan, why did the Pakistani military, who too has lost numerous soldiers in its war against al Qaeda and the Taliban, continued to deny it?

What’s more, in a frenzy to impress their masters in certain sections of Pakistan’s security apparatus, these media men and politicians were not even immune to unleash rhetoric that can leave Pakistan and its people not only isolated, but suffering from collective bouts of paranoia, delusion and xenophobia.

Whereas now it is becoming more than clear that Pakistani security agencies and the Pakistani government did have an inkling at least as to what the Americans were planning to do, instead of asking the question ‘what Osama was doing hiding in a compound situated in an area where there is sufficient presence of the Pakistan army and ISI,’ these TV men were quick to suggest that the man killed may not be Osama.

In fact, one of them confidently announced that according his sources (that’s a nice way of putting it), the man killed was not Osama. But lo and behold! Only an hour after curious claim came the report that the Americans have released the pictures of the dead body and face of Osama.

As I go on monitoring the media, the atrocious narrative questioning the validity of the news championed by these talk show hosts-turned-anchors-turned-presenters had fallen on its face and gradually replaced by a line that suggests that the Pakistan military (not the government) should also be given credit for this prize catch. That is when the race to publish the image started.

Perhaps the Pakistani security forces and institutions did play a role, but, again, with the emergence of the corpse of Osama in Pakistan, we should be asking, does this episode not validate almost all the other allegations and concerns that the US has exhibited regarding Pakistan’s rather shadowy and topsy-turvy war against terrorists?

We have to prove to the world that Pakistan is not a country that accommodates and hides mass murderers. But then, what to expect from a country some of whose politicians and media raise more hue and cry about US drone attacks (that have killed around 2,000 people, most of them militants), rather than about suicide attacks by Taliban/al-Qaeda that, ever since 2004, have slaughtered over 34,000 civilians, policemen and army personnel.

Nadeem F. Paracha is a cultural critic and senior columnist for Dawn Newspaper and Dawn.com.

Comment

• I love Nadeem F. Paracha-- a great Pakistani intellectual. He spots on! I second him in entirety!
                  Peace, Peace, Peace

Comment

• Get some, ST6

Comment

• Originally posted by notorious_eagle View Post
                      And that too from Pakistani troops from elite Kakul Academy, these Hollywood fantasies are making me giggle :P
                      If they're anything professionals, then, no, I do not expect them to respond in time. I am not saying that the Pakistanis were not involved but a surprised attack is the worst thing you can spring on SOF. For all intents and purposes, they are light infantry and the only chance light infantry has against any prepared force is intelligence and if the Pakistanis are lacking in such, then no, they would not have jumped in blind. They would need time to develop the intel while gathering their force. For all the Pakistanis knew, they would have been marching into a B-52 raid.

Comment

• Originally posted by IHM View Post
                        Should now the Pakistani nation stand up and cry for the American forces to liberate themselves from these state-sponsored monsters terrorists?
                        No, since Pakistani forces are doing a good enough job with the resources they have, and more than likely facilitated this operation as well.
                        Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic state to be ruled by priests with a divine mission - Jinnah
                        https://twitter.com/AgnosticMuslim

Comment

• On lighter note, I am looking for my bosom American friend Mr Steve to have a great party with him tonight. Wherever you are my friend, buzz me! Its been ages I was out of touch with the forum but this great news attracted me to the forum back to share the sentiments of ecstasy with my American friends. :)

This news made my day!
                          Peace, Peace, Peace

Comment

• Originally posted by Agnostic Muslim View Post
                            Small cells living amongst civilians and carrying out small scale terrorist attacks using homemade bombs is one thing - flying an assault force in half a dozen choppers across Pakistan towards the Capital and military academy and carrying out an operation for 40 minutes (expecting heavy resistance and gunfire) and simply expecting no response from Pakistani security forces throughout the duration of the operation is simply absurd.
                            So a bunch of poorly equipped jihadis can do it but 2-4 MH-60 Pavehawks flying on the deck and high speed in the dead of night carrying superbly trained commandoes and backed by an impressive US technical capability to take over the target areas communications can't?

Don't forget in 2003 we called Iraqi commanders at home and on their cells and told them to stand aside. We provided the technical means for the Stunext worm and likely used Suter to help the Israelis take out the Syrian reactor- but we can't jam/ collpase the local communications in Pakistan.

In part I guess because the Pakistani security forces are supermen who can respond faster than anyone else on the plant. The North Hollywood shootout in broad daylight took 24 minutes for SWAT to arrive. Do you get that- broad daylight no one had to wake up and get dressed, no one had to run through channels to see if it was an exercise or otherwise planned op and communications where absolutely clear...

None of that applies in Pakistan at 1:00 A.M.

There was probably only a couple of minutes of shooting and it was over before your security services even had time to figure out that fact that Pakistan had been caught with its pants down.

Why would Pakistanis security officials suspect a house built a few KM from the Pakistan Military Academy?
                            For the same reason the US did- no net or phone, burning trash, 12' walls with razor wire.....

No we do not know that - only conspiracy theorists such as you 'know that'.

If that was the case, Pakistan would not have caught Khalid Sheikh Mohammed or the numerous other Al Qaeda operatives.
                            Mumbai proved to the world that the ISI is in bed with militants. Nor did the government ever have any problem contacting the TTP (although getting them to obey was a problem). AQ was also linked to ops in Kashmir which is the ISI's pet, as was the A-stan Taliban.

Comment

• Wouldn't unidentified choppers flying deep in Pakistani airspace, for an operation that lasted atleast an hour or longer; be spotted on radar, and at the very least challenged; or have fighters in the air to intercept?

Is there anything I am missing?

Comment

• Senior ISI official confirms bin Laden killed

ABBOTTABAD: Osama bin Laden, the mastermind of the Sept 11, 2001 attacks that killed almost 3,000 people and put the United States on a decade-long war footing, was killed late Sunday night in Abbottabad by a joint American and Pakistani team, senior security officials said on Monday.

“Yes, I can confirm that,” one senior intelligence official told Reuters, but declined to give further details.

Another security official in Peshawar confirmed it was a joint operation between CIA and Pakistani security forces.

“It was carried out on a very precise info that some high-value target is there,” he said.

A Pakistani military helicopter crashed near Abbottabad on Sunday night, killing one and wounding two, according to Pakistani media. It was unclear if the crash was related to bin Laden’s death, but witnesses reported gunshots and heavy firing before one of two low-flying helicopters crashed near the Pakistani Military Academy.

The police blocked the road leading to Pakistan’s military academy, a Reuters photographer on the scene reported.

“I have seen tail and two wings of the chopper,” a labourer told Reuters. The fact bin Laden was apparently living in relative luxury not far from Islamabad could pose awkward questions for Pakistan.

“For some time there will be a lot of tension between Washington and Islamabad because Bin Laden seems to have been living here close to Islamabad,” said Imtiaz Gul, a security analyst.

“If the ISI had known then somebody within the ISI must have leaked this information. Pakistan will have to do a lot of damage control because the Americans have been reporting he is in Pakistan. This is a serious blow to the credibility of Pakistan.”

But defence analyst and former general Talat Masood said the fact bin Laden was killed in a joint operation would limit the damage to Pakistan’s image. “There should be a sigh of relief because this will take some pressure off of Pakistan,” said defence analyst and former general Talat Masood. “Pakistan most probably has contributed to this, and Pakistan can take some credit for this – being such an iconic figure, it’s a great achievement.”

www.dawn.com - Security Verification
                                Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic state to be ruled by priests with a divine mission - Jinnah
                                https://twitter.com/AgnosticMuslim

Comment

Working...
                                X