Question about strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about strategy

During the revolutionary war at the battle of bunker hill, why was the order given "dont shoot until you see the whites of their eyes". Wouldn't it make sense to begin firing as soon as the British soldiers were in range to eliminate as many of their forces as possible before they got close enough to kill any colonial forces? I have noticed this same tactic in a few movies like lord of the rings, the second one. What is the reasoning behind this? I have no military strategy background, unless you count paintball ;) , so therefor I can not determine how this makes sense at all. The only reasoning I can determine is that they were low on ammunition and wanted to make sure they did not miss a shot.
    thanks
    -MARX

OH and yes I do realize that lord of the rings is just a movie and should not be used for strategic reference.
    thanks
    -MARX

Comment

Marx,

first of all a question for you. Can you tell me the difference between "Strategy" and "Tactics"?

I suspect the answerto your question is Human Psychology. It is much more disheartening to the advancing lines of soldiers to have the entire front rank fall en mass as opposed to 1 or 2 soldiers here and there as would be the case if firing commenced as soon as the advancing line were technically within lethal range.
      Regards

Arty
      "Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations".- Motto of the Gun Crew who have just done something incredibly stupid!!!!

Comment

first of all a question for you. Can you tell me the difference between "Strategy" and "Tactics"?
        strategy is the long-term, high-level thinking necessary to achieve a given objective where as tactics are actionable, granular-level messages and deliverables that support and drive strategy.
        I now realize the mistake I made, it was a tactic rather than strategy, am I correct?

Now lets assume that bows were the weapons of choice for a defending force, they are meant to be long rage weapons so would it not make sense for the defenders to fire a constant volley towards the enemy? A large volley of arrows can take out a great number of advancing enemy forces from a distance away, however in Lord of the rings, the defenders waited until the enemy was very close to them before they began firing. Is this a useful tactic or is it just Hollywood?
        -MARX

Comment

Originally posted by marx View Post
          strategy is the long-term, high-level thinking necessary to achieve a given objective where as tactics are actionable, granular-level messages and deliverables that support and drive strategy.
          Stop.

Don't use big words.

Use words that a six year old can understand. If you cannot explain it to a six year old, then you don't understand it.

Now again, what is strategy and what is tactics?

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
            Stop.

Don't use big words.

Use words that a six year old can understand. If you cannot explain it to a six year old, then you don't understand it.

Now again, what is strategy and what is tactics?
            strategy Is basically the over all plan, where as tactics are the maneuvers them selves which all support the strategy. Correct?
            -MARX

Comment

No.

Use words and terms a six year old can understand. I will give you a hint. What is strategy in terms of a hockey game? What is tactics in terms of a hockey game?

Comment

No.

Use words and terms a six year old can understand. I will give you a hint. What is strategy in terms of a hockey game? What is tactics in terms of a hockey game?
                I do not know, the only thing I can come up with is "strategy: a plan of action designed to achieve a particular goal". In terms of hockey I have no clue, and when put so simply I can not determine the difference between the two.
                -MARX

Comment

Strategy is winning the hockey game. Tactics is scoring a goal ... And you have yet to learn Operations ... which is keeping the puck in the other guy's red zone.

Comment

Strategy is winning the hockey game. Tactics is scoring a goal ... And you have yet to learn Operations ... which is keeping the puck in the other guy's red zone.
                    Oh, so what would the "dont shoot until you know you can kill them" plan fall under?
                    -MARX

Comment

Don't toss the puck into the end zone until you get their defence up to the blueline.

Comment

Don't toss the puck into the end zone until you get their defence up to the blueline.
                        Im confused, so does waiting to shoot actually provide some kind of upper hand other than reducing troop morale?
                        -MARX

Comment

I guess his question was is it strategy, tactics or operations.

To my poor warfare knowledge that would be operations.

On the funnier side I admire Canadian ability to explain everything through hockey. And there is no sarcasm in that line.
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by marx View Post
                            Im confused, so does waiting to shoot actually provide some kind of upper hand other than reducing troop morale?
                            Do not intermingle actual military applications with a hockey game. I asked you to describe it in terms a 6 year old can understand. What is strategy and what is tactics.

You have absolutely no concept about don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes. Don't even try to understand that.

Instead, try to understand why do you want the defence up to the blueline before tossing the puck behind the net.

Comment

Available ammunition may play a role in the commander's decision. A.E. also touched upon the shock effect achieved by close-range fires unleashed simultaneously on an advancing rank heretofore unimpeded. The effect is not unlike that achieved by an ambush triggered from close range.
                              "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Working...
                              X