3ID gets new Abrams tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3ID gets new Abrams tanks

This article Ft. Benning gets "most advanced" tanks | Atlanta Business Chronicle says that the three HBCTs in 3rd Infantry Division are starting to receive M1A2 SEP V2 tanks. It appears that the Army is making progress with its goal to pure fleet the active duty HBCTs with M1A2 and the ARNG with re-manufactured M1A1s.

Originally posted by HKDan View Post
    This article Ft. Benning gets "most advanced" tanks | Atlanta Business Chronicle says that the three HBCTs in 3rd Infantry Division are starting to receive M1A2 SEP V2 tanks. It appears that the Army is making progress with its goal to pure fleet the active duty HBCTs with M1A2 and the ARNG with re-manufactured M1A1s.
    The m1A3 is also under development. I am gettign conflictign info if it will be an upgrade or a redesign. There is an off the shell drop in autoloader that retains the loader to act in another role (technology/communications?). The 120mm L55 would add a massive firepower upgrade. Active defense systems are under development, and the MRM-CE or its spin offs should be mature by now. Add in what we have already seen in the M1A2 SEP V2 TUSK and you have a very potent beast. The army is also looking at improving the fuel economy of the turbine engine or replacing it with a better turbine or MTU style powerpack to reduce fuel costs.

However the other side of the conversation is a weight reduction to produce a 60 ton Abrams that matches or exceeds current capabilties.

Comment

I'm more hoping for the XM-291s or the XM-360s to make an appearance. They would be a quantum leap over the L55.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
        The 120mm L55 would add a massive firepower upgrade. Active defense systems are under development, and the MRM-CE or its spin offs should be mature by now.
        Z,

What is the current status of the MRM-CE? I can find a number of articles about it from the 2006 time frame that suggested it was progressing smoothly, but not much that is more recent. At the same time, I have seen a number of sources that mention a 2013 IOC. Have you heard or seen anything about this round recently?

Comment

last I heard was it was cut out of the FCS program when that got canceled and Gen Dynamics and Raytheon were awarded a contract to mature the technology and get it ready for IOC and serial production in 2008.

Raytheon Company: Newsroom - News Archive

The MRM-CE demonstrated fully autonomous hit to kill vs non-LOS target at 5.2km in 2009.

Raytheon's Mid-Range Munition Completes First Cartridge Integration Test - Jan 19, 2009

63 months from Jan 2008 is June 2013.

Comment

Working...
          X