Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astralis View Post
    dread,

given his familiarity with bankruptcies (how many? 3+?)...yeah, he's not exactly great at making hard decisions, either.

the problem with having businesspeople run a country is that countries do NOT operate on a for-profit model, especially not the short-term business model popular with executives today.
    Astralis, Think of it this way though, how much money gets wasted in government (given to other countries etc etc etc.) and what do we get for it. This is where someone business thinking like himself may fit in even for the short term. He's apparently not motivated by what most other politicians are. And if not mistaken he like a few others are self made millionares time and time over. With the right people surrounding him I dont see this being a problem. For instance look at what Christie is doing in New Jersey, the hard decisions but it all has to start somewhere painfull as it may be. If he can pull it off, it will be a first.

Me, Im just tired of politicians giving away money from this country to others and not having to ask the people (who's tax money this is) as too what the benefits are for the American people really are instead of just handing it out. I mean we can do alot more for our own country then what we have been doing for years. Maybe Trumps not the answer, but maybe hes the one to start the process rolling. Who knows, it may even prompt a even better person to step forward to lead. Either way I like the fact that hes not a lawyer nor Senator or Congressman in other words he can relate to the people without talking down to them like the rest of the know it alls.

I also tend to believe there will be no "backroom" deals that have ran the American people over for a long time including this bunch currently in office that have already proven they cannot be trusted.

I also tend to believe that his take on what is wasting our money wont be politically motivated like all of the others are and have been for a long time.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 14 Apr 11,, 17:02.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosveltrepub View Post
      You do know the final hold up in the budget talks was over planned parenthood riders having nnothing to do with actual dollars and cents? How is it Obama's fault non budgetary riderrs were being insisted on? Once again it's a black white thing like with Dale. Who cares if He is green? Intrade has obama at 63 cents which translates into 62 percent liklihood of reelection. I said landslide with a third party candidate like trump siphoning off 5 percent of the birthers He wins either way.

I found humor in Trumps's explanation of why his ww2 decorated grandfather would put in false birth notices. Could someone tell the Donald He would of been a US citizen anyway and his excuse that Obama needed those false notices to collect welfare....yes He said that...is a lie. Please spare em the it isnt about race argument when someone starts with the black man needed to have falsied birth notices to get his welfare arguement. Birtherism is about race which is why as has been pointed out the crazies may love it but it's a recipe for electoral slaughter.

I know what the hold -up was because I read the news. Most of the deployed military are the new generation youngsters who do not take the time to read news. What they saw was a President and them on the verge of not getting paid. To them, by all appearances, it's the Commander-in-Chief's fault for not looking out for them.

The independent voters I know back in Florida decided to vote for uhh-bama at the last second, to give him a chance and see what he could do. The last time I checked, not a one of them will vote for him again.
      "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Comment

McFire,

What they saw was a President and them on the verge of not getting paid. To them, by all appearances, it's the Commander-in-Chief's fault for not looking out for them.
        last time i checked Congress was responsible for passing the budget, not the Prez.
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

dale,

i disagree. if that were the case, jesse jackson would have took the nomination back in the 80s.
          Different electorate and reality. I doubt Obama could have gotten the nomination in the 80s either. Plus, Obama is more of a cipher than Jackson ever was.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
            Different electorate and reality. I doubt Obama could have gotten the nomination in the 80s either. Plus, Obama is more of a cipher than Jackson ever was.

-dale
            I could actually understand the words coming out of Obama's mouth. Jackson....that's a different story.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
              Astralis, Think of it this way though, how much money gets wasted in government (given to other countries etc etc etc.) and what do we get for it. This is where someone business thinking like himself may fit in even for the short term. He's apparently not motivated by what most other politicians are. And if not mistaken he like a few others are self made millionares time and time over. With the right people surrounding him I dont see this being a problem. For instance look at what Christie is doing in New Jersey, the hard decisions but it all has to start somewhere painfull as it may be. If he can pull it off, it will be a first.

Me, Im just tired of politicians giving away money from this country to others and not having to ask the people (who's tax money this is) as too what the benefits are for the American people really are instead of just handing it out. I mean we can do alot more for our own country then what we have been doing for years. Maybe Trumps not the answer, but maybe hes the one to start the process rolling. Who knows, it may even prompt a even better person to step forward to lead. Either way I like the fact that hes not a lawyer nor Senator or Congressman in other words he can relate to the people without talking down to them like the rest of the know it alls.

I also tend to believe there will be no "backroom" deals that have ran the American people over for a long time including this bunch currently in office that have already proven they cannot be trusted.

I also tend to believe that his take on what is wasting our money wont be politically motivated like all of the others are and have been for a long time.
              1 percent of the budget is foriegn aid and I would bet half goes to Israel and it was pointed out to me much of our aid is in loans to buy US produced food and military equipment so the actual cost to the country is less than the dollar value.

his lies about Obama spending 2 million to not show his birth certificate as well as his crazy talk on extreme protectionism makes him pretty unserious and flies in the face of any image he may of groomed as a competent executive. The man has figuired out how to milk corporate money into his private accounts then declare corporate bankruptcy. I dont think that's enviable at all.
              Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.”
              ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

The man has figuired out how to milk corporate money into his private accounts then declare corporate bankruptcy. I dont think that's enviable at all.

*Guess he'll fit right in then with the rest of them then wont he.
                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

McFire,

last time i checked Congress was responsible for passing the budget, not the Prez.
                  But you checked...

McFire's statement was that today's youngters in the military don't check the news.
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

not sure if they actually feel that way. most of the guys deployed i know are always real interested in what happens state-side, if for nothing else than it makes for something to talk about at the FOB.
                    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

1 percent of the budget is foriegn aid and I would bet half goes to Israel and it was pointed out to me much of our aid is in loans to buy US produced food and military equipment so the actual cost to the country is less than the dollar value.
                      1/3 of US aid goes to Israel and Egypt combined
                      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                        IMO, If Trump ran, he would be a total nightmare for all politics concerned. He's not a lawyer, not a Senator, not a Congressman. He's a realist and a businessman. Very dangerous to politicians especially due to the fact that he is used to making the hard decisions. Money based decisions not popularity races or seeking approval from anyone outside of this country.
                        This will be interesting to follow.
                        Sounds like a "change" candidate to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                          Sounds like a "change" candidate to me.
                          A change for the worst. I have absolutely no doubt that he would be the 1st one to blink against the likes of Putin or even Sarkozy. A country is not a business and wars are never about profit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought
                            IMO, If Trump ran,
                            That's the operative word. Given what i've read over the last two pages am having doubts he'd secure a nomination. If Trump runs as an independent, it would be like Ross Perot redux and end up splitting the Repub vote.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                              ...At the mean time, I will donate $100 in phone cards for the troops using highsea's link. How do these cards get to the people who need them and who would get them?
                              gunnut, you can click on the order cards link, pick what you want to buy, and when you get to the checkout there is a choice of organizations you can send the card to.

Just fill out the form and pick one of the groups from the right side of the page.
                              "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

You know Billyjack was a hippie hugging commie?
                                And ostensibly, you don't Jack about Billy Jack. Google up Tom Laughlin and read why he made the movie. It was based on many experiences his wife, Delores, had while growing up on a reservation. And its Billy Jack, btw, not one word. He was as much a Libertarian as Tom Laughlin was.

Comment

Working...
                                X